Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I’m thinking about selling home baked goods for the secular
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:11 am
Community. There are so many women that sell home baked stuff to our community I’m wondering how to get into the secular one. I live in Brooklyn for reference. Is there a website I can advertise? Any specific hashtags I can use on instagram to gain an audience from that world? I know I can just sell to our community but it’s so over saturated and I have one close friend that would be extremely insulted and hurt if one of her customers bought from me instead of her. I’ve been told numerous times to sell my stuff so I know they’re good. I haven’t done anything about it because I don’t want to hurt this friend even tho he’s parnossah comes from hashem and even if every person in the block opens the same thing it doesn’t take away from you I think sometimes it’s hard to remember that. I’d also be interested in having a stand in some sort of farmers market type place.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:19 am
Are you willing to bake dairy? Dairy is typically better than pareve and you are competing with a dairy market.

hodeez

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:20 am
Is it worth it for these people to spend extra on kosher when they can just buy whatever it is at a fraction of the price elsewhere?

amother
Currant

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:21 am
Send to influencers to promote you
What do you bake?

Cookie decorating kits could be cute too

amother
Bluebell

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:24 am
Can you partner with your friend?

flowerpower  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:26 am
What do you have in mind? Why would a person want to buy homemade goods over buying a cake at Shoprite or Costco?

nicole81

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:38 am
I don't think this will go over well in the secular world. They have a million options that are cheaper and what would be the incentive to buy from some random lady that doesn't even have a health inspection? That would be the big one for me, eating from a random person's kitchen when you don't have to and have far more options than we do.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:42 am
I second nicole. I had a relative who did this in the 90s. Her baked goods were sold in a local grocery store but people were way more relaxed about food safety etc. Now no one would do this.

amother
Peru

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:43 am
I would think if you found a niche of something that could sell at a farmer's market, like some artisanal type foods, it could work.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:49 am
amother Peru wrote:
I would think if you found a niche of something that could sell at a farmer's market, like some artisanal type foods, it could work.

I think so too.

If you are making parve cakes, maybe you can make them vegan and enter that niche?

Amarante  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:53 am
Honestly it would depend as you would have to be making something unique in some way - I don't think you would compete on cost.

You aren't aiming for a market that buys supermarket cheap products - you are aiming for the market that will spend money to splurge on something unique or fabulously delicious. The cost for an 8" Lemon Bundt Cake can be $60 - I mention that specifically since ingredients are relatively cheap and it is an easy cake to make. That is a small Bundt cake.

I don't think it is more expensive to bake kosher then non-kosher because almost all baking goods are kosher or pareve.

I do agree that you would want to make them dairy unless you are aiming for the vegan market.

Also depending on where you live there might be a market for "Jewish" specialties among secular Jews.

The issue would be connecting with the market.

Do you have a specialty?

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:54 am
Maybe you can try to get your food into a store like Target or ShopRite, but it's really really really difficult.

giftedmom

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:54 am
I guess if you’re baking pareve you can advertise as dairy free

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:56 am
Amarante wrote:
Honestly it would depend as you would have to be making something unique in some way - I don't think you would compete on cost.

You aren't aiming for a market that buys supermarket cheap products - you are aiming for the market that will spend money to splurge on something unique or fabulously delicious. The cost for an 8" Lemon Bundt Cake can be $60 - I mention that specifically since ingredients are relatively cheap and it is an easy cake to make. That is a small Bundt cake.

I don't think it is more expensive to bake kosher then non-kosher because almost all baking goods are kosher or pareve.

I do agree that you would want to make them dairy unless you are aiming for the vegan market.

Also depending on where you live there might be a market for "Jewish" specialties among secular Jews.

The issue would be connecting with the market.

Do you have a specialty?

Dairy is much more expensive if it needs to be CY

Amarante  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:57 am
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
Dairy is much more expensive if it needs to be CY

Why would she need to use CY if she is not cooking for kosher people.

And even some Jews don't eat CY

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 11:41 am
Amarante wrote:
Why would she need to use CY if she is not cooking for kosher people.

And even some Jews don't eat CY

I would think she doesn't want to treif her kitchen unless she eats CA.

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 12:00 pm
Every kosher ingredient costs more, makes no sense. Even benign things like chocolate chips.

Amarante  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 3:21 pm
amother Sage wrote:
Every kosher ingredient costs more, makes no sense. Even benign things like chocolate chips.

Nestle and Kirkland chocolate Chips are both kosher. OU

Not over priced kosher 🤷‍♀️

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 3:25 pm
I’m not sure why you think there is more room for a business in the secular world. Of course it’s more over saturated there than our small community. Many businesses cater to both. There’s no reason to limit yourself to the frum world. I am a photographer and I have many secular clients. But I’m not “exclusively” catering to the secular world. I’m just a business that anyone can use.

Lucky Princess

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 3:26 pm
flowerpower wrote:
What do you have in mind? Why would a person want to buy homemade goods over buying a cake at Shoprite or Costco?
cuz its way better
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics