Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Another camp rant- showers!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 7:34 am
amother OP wrote:
Seems like I'm the strange one here lol. What is the big deal to install normal doors so that self conscious teens can shower in total privacy?

Completely agree with you.
I went to camp 15/20 years ago and we definitely had shower doors.
Girls need privacy!!

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 7:35 am
I went to camp, my girls are now in camp, there is a small (tiny) area in front of the shower with a door and a lock for changing. No girl should be expected to shower in a stall with a curtain that opens straight into a public area. That is simply inappropriate.

polka dots

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 7:53 am
Having shower curtains in your home or a hotel is not the same as camp. At home your shower is in a bathroom where you can lock the door. In camp there is one big room with shower stalls. I'd be very nervous on someone by mistake peeking in.
Op maybe you can suggest they at least put some type of hook at the sides of curtains so they can secure it tight to the wall when they shower

amother
Ballota  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 7:56 am
amother OP wrote:
6 shower stalls with just a curtain blocking off each one, for 2 bunks (around 40 girls total). Oh, and only 3 out of the 6 are normal pressure and temperature.

And two are reserved for the counselors.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:00 am
Raising a bunch of snowflakes

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:07 am
amother Ghostwhite wrote:

Of course, snowflakes have to be tznius

theoneandonly

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:11 am
Went to camp for six years, only shower curtains, never showered in my bathing suit, and never had an issue. You hang your bathrobe in the corner of the shower stall where it's in with you but won't get wet and put it on after your shower. Not sure what the big deal is.

amother
Geranium

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:15 am
amother Nemesia wrote:
I had shower curtains in camp Hedvah back in the 80s-90s. What’s the issue?

Same!! And we were considered the high maintenance camp

LovesHashem  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:17 am
Our curtains weren't big enough to really close as the well. It's like changing areas in some stores, there is still a gap left.

amother
  Currant  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:21 am
ra_mom wrote:
Your shower curtain at home is behind a locked door, is it not? 😊

Do the girls not understand to not walk in on another girl showering? Basic middos and common sense. Closed curtain, don't enter. Open curtain, available shower.

Plonis bas Plonis  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:23 am
amother Ghostwhite wrote:

Ensuring a reasonable level of privacy for our children is a basic expectation. If you believe that ensuring your children’s basic dignity and rights is enabling snowflake production, then perhaps it’s time to reassess your priorities.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:24 am
amother Currant wrote:
Do the girls not understand to not walk in on another girl showering? Basic middos and common sense. Closed curtain, don't enter. Open curtain, available shower.

I don't maybe I am too Israeli now but when I went to American recently I was horrified by the massive gaps at bathroom stalls everywhere. I felt so uncomfortable.

I don't think these showers are worse than that if I remember correctly.

amother
Red  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:30 am
Anyone’s go to a gym? Like the one in yeled vyalda in boro park? Stalls with shower curtains.

amother
Ultramarine  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:31 am
I had it in camp. We hated it
The curtain was juuuuust wide enough to cover the doorway of the shower if it was fully stretched out and held down.
If you weren't stretching and holding down the curtain, there was a good 4-5inch gap on each side where people can see you as they pass to go to the next shower. Not to mention the "breeze" from the water fluttering the curtain.
We showered in bathing suits. And it was stressful and annoying when we were on our period.

I once went to a camp that had a curtain, then a hook, then another curtain and then the shower. So even if there was less coverage, you arranged one curtain more to the right, one more to the left, and it felt secure.
That felt like a nice arrangement without being too expensive or complicated.

And it's not about snowflakes. Its about raising our children with the dignity to shower in private and not have 4-5 inch gaps on each side of the shower so those waiting at the sinks can get views.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:31 am
First of all, curtain = privacy. The end. If they don’t understand that concept that’s something the girls have to be taught.

That said I am actually shocked you would want doors. As a safety thing.
My boys camp doesn’t have doors or curtains and they shower in bathing trunks. It’s a safety thing - no way to “hide” etc.
for girls I understand that’s not 100% possible but I would never want a door.

Plonis bas Plonis

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:32 am
amother Red wrote:
Anyone’s go to a gym? Like the one in yeled vyalda in boro park? Stalls with shower curtains.

1 You’re an adult
2 your choice

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:35 am
amother Geranium wrote:
Same!! And we were considered the high maintenance camp

The camp I went to had doors that locked. I see that's not the norm lol

amother
  Ultramarine  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:36 am
HonesttoGod wrote:
First of all, curtain = privacy. The end. If they don’t understand that concept that’s something the girls have to be taught.

That said I am actually shocked you would want doors. As a safety thing.
My boys camp doesn’t have doors or curtains and they shower in bathing trunks. It’s a safety thing - no way to “hide” etc.
for girls I understand that’s not 100% possible but I would never want a door.

Its not about someone walking in. Its not about girls with poor middos peeking.

Its about a curtain that doesn't feel like it provides coverage and the entire time you're in there holding your breath afraid to move because any move will move the curtain and 30 girls brushing their teeth, waiting for showers, etc will get a full show.

If I'm paying that much money, id appreciate my daughter not have this stress every time she showers.

amother
  Red

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:45 am
So as I see it the problem is that the curtains are too small. That’s an easy fix. Buy the better and bigger ones. And put two curtains, one in front if the other. And put hooks or magnets to keep them closed. Easy solution. Mothers need to call the camp and demand this. It’s simple, quick and not expensive.
I went to camp Fayga. I remember that the stalls were separate from the sinks.

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:49 am
My girls went to camp every year from 6th grade on and never complained about the shower curtains. It’s a normal part of camp!
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children