Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
DUMB?? -Who is intended audience for Mishpacha/Bina/Hamodia?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
  Mint

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 10:28 am
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
No. They’re very different.
They hardly ever carry the same articles. Their editorials are written by different people and are completely different and have different viewpoints. There are sometimes but not often articles that appear in one and then the next week are translated into the other. The serials and recipes are completely different. A long time ago there were articles and editorials that were identical and just got translated but now there are almost no similarities.

The English-language mishpacha is also distributed in Israel. Many of editorial staff are based in Israel. It is very much not just an American magazine.

There is also a Hebrew-language Mishpacha, which is an entirely different magazine.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 11:24 am
I find the Ami to be better for light reading, but I enjoy the editorials and analysis better in Mishpacha. I think the Bina has a very narrow focus- like, as a single mother with an older child- I really can't relate to the Bina magazine- it's very centered on marriage and raising kids. I don't find it relatable to other groups of women out there.
In general, I read the mishpacha and Ami, I don't get the Hamodia- but enjoy it when I do.
If you are looking for one subscription- why don't you buy one of each type for 3 weeks in a row and see which one you like best? (just hope you don't get hooked on the serials of 2 of them!!)

amother
RosePink

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 11:55 am
amother PlumPink wrote:
Mishpacha- has the best writing, some columns are better than others. Which isn’t saying much if you’re used to reading non Jewish magazines like Atlantic.

Binah- worst writing, very fluffy and unintelligent articles. Most cringe worthy fiction.

Ami - most sensationalist, has some decent fiction. Sometimes has good articles on historical events/figures.

Hamodia - I don’t buy this enough to review.

TLDR Mishpacha is the most readable.

Interesting. I find myself reading 95% of the women's and main AMI weekly and only a few articles in Mishpacha. I'm JPF/yeshivishe lite, also a BT.

amother
  DarkCyan  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 12:01 pm
Im.the one who asked if MO read mishoacha. Imactually surprosed to hear thst some, especially in israel, do.
Its not sold in israel where I live, but ive read it at charedi relatives, and it just pashit does not grab me, at all.
Its not my hashkafa at all. So I read other things.

amother
  Honey  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 12:49 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Im.the one who asked if MO read mishoacha. Imactually surprosed to hear thst some, especially in israel, do.
Its not sold in israel where I live, but ive read it at charedi relatives, and it just pashit does not grab me, at all.
Its not my hashkafa at all. So I read other things.

There is a huge range of people who identify as MO, so this isn't actually very surprising. Although most of the magazine isn't centered around any hashkafic differences anyway.

amother
  DarkCyan  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 12:52 pm
amother Honey wrote:
There is a huge range of people who identify as MO, so this isn't actually very surprising. Although most of the magazine isn't centered around any hashkafic differences anyway.

Not hashkafic differences. Its just not my hashkafa. Just for example, the rabbanim are not my rabbanim. And there are no females in the magazine. So its not my hashkafa.
Im surprised and MO people read it partially for those reasons.

amother
  Honey  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 12:56 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Not hashkafic differences. Its just not my hashkafa. Just for example, the rabbanim are not my rabbanim. And there are no females in the magazine. So its not my hashkafa.
Im surprised and MO people read it partially for those reasons.

So anyone who finds that the rabbinic articles don't resonate would skip those, but that's not the bulk of the magazine. I'm sure you meant pictures of females, because the magazine is full of female writers and editors and other staff! The editor in chief is a woman. It would be nice to have pictures too but the articles themselves are high quality so I'm sure many people appreciate them nonetheless.

Miranda Wright

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 12:58 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:

They've been sneaking them in slowly, give it a few years...

amother
  DarkCyan

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 1:11 pm
amother Honey wrote:
So anyone who finds that the rabbinic articles don't resonate would skip those, but that's not the bulk of the magazine. I'm sure you meant pictures of females, because the magazine is full of female writers and editors and other staff! The editor in chief is a woman. It would be nice to have pictures too but the articles themselves are high quality so I'm sure many people appreciate them nonetheless.

I dont mean the articles about the rabbis. I mean the rabbinic board and who backs the magazine.
And of course I meant pictures of women.
And in terms of quality, thats also an opinion.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 2:05 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
Yes, the pages are smooth and glossy others feel like printer, paper or newspaper type of paper not glossy and thin does not appeal to me when I’m reading a magazine.

LOL LOL

amother
Jetblack  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 2:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
Baalas teshuva and former out of towner now living in Brooklyn. I see a lot of different magazines in the local grocery but haven't really bought other than local papers. Curious, can someone tell me more about these magazines? What type of audience are they geared for/read it? Are there hashkafic differences to know about?

Mishpacha Magazine
Bina Magazine
Hamodia

It would have been interesting to make a poll of the 4 mags. to see which is the most read.
Mishpacha
Binah
Ami
Hamodia

OP, just remember, each answer is that person's individual's opinion and what interests her.
Some readers run for the serials, short stories, personal essays.
Some readers are interested mostly in hashkafic articles.
Some, medical stories/articles.
Some, self-improvement.
And some like to read everything ... or almost everything.
And more ....
The list is long.

What topic interests you? I think if you include that when you ask your question, you might get more of a specific answer.

amother
  Honey

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 2:44 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
I dont mean the articles about the rabbis. I mean the rabbinic board and who backs the magazine.
And of course I meant pictures of women.
And in terms of quality, thats also an opinion.

Ok, but why does the rabbinic board affect whether or not your enjoy the articles?

Of course the quality is an opinion, but it's not relevant to hashkafa Very Happy So the MO readership must agree.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 4:39 pm
I enjoy Ami and Mishpacha, but I don't trust the hashkafa for any magazine per se. You never know who the writers are. I approach it as entertainment without putting trust in its content.

amother
Yolk

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 4:47 pm
amother Beige wrote:
The adult magazine skews chasidish. When I read the Truth or Consequence stories and others, I feel like the tenor and issues discussed are not relatable to someone who isn't Hungarian/chassidish, etc. And yes, the owners are chassidish.

The kids' magazine has some crazy shocking comics and some of the stories are a bit edgy. There's nothing jewish about it. I think they would make people uncomfortable if they would bother to read what their kids are reading. I do like the Don l'kaf zechus column- I think that's great.

Is their kids magazine the one with the comic about kids whose parents are really spies?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 4:58 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
Is their kids magazine the one with the comic about kids whose parents are really spies?

Yes

tulip3  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 5:40 pm
The Bina is written for simple yeshivish and chassidish ladies and the writing reflects that. Low vocabulary, very simple writing, not intellectual or makes you think...

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 5:47 pm
amother Pearl wrote:
An average frum housewife, with BY educational background and limited access to other media.

Thanks a lot

Lol. I’m a software engineer with over 20 years experience in world wide companies and from out of town.

I enjoy the Hamodia tremendously. While I know the news in the world and follow daily I appreciate their balanced approach. There is also something to have the news presented with a Torah outlook when everything in the world is filled with sheker.

I find both magazines to have amazing articles and I enjoy weekly.

amother
Daisy

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 5:58 pm
tulip3 wrote:
The Bina is written for simple yeshivish and chassidish ladies and the writing reflects that. Low vocabulary, very simple writing, not intellectual or makes you think...

I am neither yeshivish nor chassidish and I am a far cry from being simple, yet I read the Binah.
Thanks for the ugly stereotyping

tulip3

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 6:01 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
I am neither yeshivish nor chassidish and I am a far cry from being simple, yet I read the Binah.
Thanks for the ugly stereotyping

Ur not the typical reader!
Curious what you find interesting/stimulating in it?

amother
Lightgray

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 6:06 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Binah and Hamodia are both published by the same company. They lean Chassidish/very right wing.

Mishpacha is geared towards everybody. It tries to be inclusive of all types. Practically speaking, and this is just my opinion, I think it is geared towards JPF.
I'm embarrassed to ask but even more embarrassed to start a new topic to ask:
What does JPF stand for?
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics