Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Interview for new job when you know you really can't handle

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 4:54 am
I am not making enough at my job. I asked for a raise, and my supervisor agreed that I deserve, but the company did not approve for financial reasons.
So it's time to get a new job. The problem is that I have too much going on in my life (with my husband's health, several kids some of whom need a lot of support from me, and loads of my own trauma to deal with) and I know that I will not be a dedicated employee. I really would rather not be working. I know that my head will not be in it, that I will be late many days, that I cannot be available after hours most of the time, etc
How do I go job hunting like this???

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 4:58 am
You don’t. It’s dishonest to apply for a job you won’t be able to do properly, especially in a brand new setting they will likely fire you. Your only hope is to find a flexible job.

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 5:04 am
Thanks for the honesty. What do I do about money though? I'm an intelligent, capable person, but I've been dealt quite a large load in my personal life.

amother
Stone  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 5:35 am
I wouldn't do it. I did this. And then I put in my 2 weeks notice after a month. It was horrible and my mental health was in the toilet for about 6 months.
I will always listen to my gut now.

amother
  Stone

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 5:36 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for the honesty. What do I do about money though? I'm an intelligent, capable person, but I've been dealt quite a large load in my personal life.

Can you find a part time job to do on your own time? Side hustle?

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 6:07 am
Can anyone suggest jobs that don’t require much energy or concentration, and have flexible hours? I’m thinking something like a security guard. Just sitting and spacing out pretty much.

I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this. It sounds so so difficult. How much you need to earn to cover your bills?

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 7:40 am
amother Ultramarine wrote:
Can anyone suggest jobs that don’t require much energy or concentration, and have flexible hours? I’m thinking something like a security guard. Just sitting and spacing out pretty much.

I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this. It sounds so so difficult. How much you need to earn to cover your bills?

Security guard requires being on alert the entire time.

Op, how do you plan to even hold on to your current job if your reliability amd performance are going to drop?

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 7:45 am
amother OP wrote:
I am not making enough at my job. I asked for a raise, and my supervisor agreed that I deserve, but the company did not approve for financial reasons.
So it's time to get a new job. The problem is that I have too much going on in my life (with my husband's health, several kids some of whom need a lot of support from me, and loads of my own trauma to deal with) and I know that I will not be a dedicated employee. I really would rather not be working. I know that my head will not be in it, that I will be late many days, that I cannot be available after hours most of the time, etc
How do I go job hunting like this???

So sorry about all that you're going thru now. But to figure out a path forward, how are you doing at your current job with all this ongoing?

It may be best to hold down this job until stuff begins to fall into place. Being unemployed can be significantly worse than earning too little.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 8:21 am
A new job is not going to give you the benefit of the doubt if your performance is sub par and you are late continually. You will be fired.

Have you considered that you are not getting a raise because your performance isn't that good?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics