Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lakewood mesivtas -- limudei chol?
1  2  Next

SilverFlower

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 1:53 pm
Posting mainly for a friend (but I'm also curious) -- are there any boys high schools in lakewood that are more brooklyn or monsey style in terms of a concrete secular studies program? Any names come to mind? Same question for elementary.

amother
DarkPurple  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 2:21 pm
Following

amother
Ultramarine  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 2:51 pm
Weinbergers is one of the only Alef plus mesivtas with English.

Elementary, plenty of schools have great English programs, it's the kids (& parents) who say English isn't impt & they don't behave, ruining it for others.

amother
  DarkPurple  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 2:52 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
Weinbergers is one of the only Alef plus mesivtas with English.

Elementary, plenty of schools have great English programs, it's the kids (& parents) who say English isn't impt & they don't behave, ruining it for others.

What type of boys/families send to Weinbergers?

amother
  Ultramarine  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 3:16 pm
amother DarkPurple wrote:
What type of boys/families send to Weinbergers?

They take 25-28 boys per year.
He likes to take boys that are very smart and put together and usually they tend to come from a family where they are a little bit more balebatish than typical lkwd, but still on the yeshivish side.

amother
  DarkPurple  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 3:18 pm
They take 25-28 boys per year.
He likes to take boys that are very smart and put together and usually they tend to come from a family where they are a little bit more balebatish than typical lkwd, but still on the yeshivish side.

Like rich type?

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 3:22 pm
Like rich type?

Sounds like it

amother
  Ultramarine  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 3:31 pm
Like rich type?

No, not everyone there is rich at all. But the super yeshivish are not applying there.
It's a top choice for boys from Orchos chaim, Taskbar, ohr yehuda etc. But they only take a few from each school.

amother
  DarkPurple  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 3:45 pm
Thanks. Do any other mesivtas have limudei chol?

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 3:59 pm
Thanks. Do any other mesivtas have limudei chol?

A lot of mesivtas have English or optional English but the question is how seriously the boys take it.

amother
Celeste  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 4:00 pm
I’m sending to Weinbergers iyh, we lean more toward yeshivish than balabatish, and when we were discussing with my sons rebbi, he strongly felt to send to Weinbergers rather than a different mesivta we were considering that’s more yeshivish, as he said it’s just the name the yeshiva has. It’s very similar clientele as the other one that has a slightly more yeshivish name, and the level is better for my son

amother
  DarkPurple  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 4:08 pm
amother Celeste wrote:
I’m sending to Weinbergers iyh, we lean more toward yeshivish than balabatish, and when we were discussing with my sons rebbi, he strongly felt to send to Weinbergers rather than a different mesivta we were considering that’s more yeshivish, as he said it’s just the name the yeshiva has. It’s very similar clientele as the other one that has a slightly more yeshivish name, and the level is better for my son

I don’t need a yeshivish name at all, in fact I’m not that yeshivish but what I am also not is fancy, and I want my son to respect honest people rather than rich people, and Torah rather than gvirim.

Weinberger’s does sound like a great place, not sure if we’d get in so wondering what are other places that have English that is taken seriously.

amother
  Ultramarine  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 4:33 pm
amother Celeste wrote:

100% but compared to say, Lakewood mesivta or slomowitz...it's less yeshivish.

Also hv son there.

amother
  Celeste

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 5:53 pm
100% but compared to say, Lakewood mesivta or slomowitz...it's less yeshivish.

Also hv son there.

Ok so I was comparing to witty, not the super yeshivish mesivtas, which was our 2nd choice after we spoke to the rebbi, but was originally our first choice because we thought it was similar learning style but more yeshivish and rebbi said it’s really just the name. My husband did a little research and said it seems to be true

amother
Snowdrop  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 5:57 pm
Very few. And the ones that do are more intense. You have to be able to hack it.
Weinbergers is an overall more intense mesivta.
And none are on the level of ny
If you are choosing a high school based on English it can get very complicated.

You can do a Friday English program and take the ged. I did that with one son.
Another son had English but it was not what anyone from out of town would consider English.

So if you are choosing a high school based on English alone make sure it is worth it.

Or the other option is to go to high school out of town and dorm.

History - rav aahron kotler did not allow English in boys high schools. For years the only high schools with English were outside lakewood borders. Like Belmar. It’s only more recently anyone has English at all.

amother
  DarkPurple  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 6:07 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
Very few. And the ones that do are more intense. You have to be able to hack it.
Weinbergers is an overall more intense mesivta.
And none are on the level of ny
If you are choosing a high school based on English it can get very complicated.

You can do a Friday English program and take the ged. I did that with one son.
Another son had English but it was not what anyone from out of town would consider English.

So if you are choosing a high school based on English alone make sure it is worth it.

Or the other option is to go to high school out of town and dorm.

History - rav aahron kotler did not allow English in boys high schools. For years the only high schools with English were outside lakewood borders. Like Belmar. It’s only more recently anyone has English at all.

I prefer my high school son live at home. I also very much want English because I don’t know if he’d do a Friday program or GED situation. I’d rather it be part of the program.

amother
  Snowdrop  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 6:13 pm
I prefer my high school son live at home. I also very much want English because I don’t know if he’d do a Friday program or GED situation. I’d rather it be part of the program.

Right I’m just trying to be realistic about what there is to work with.
There are maybe 3 schools that teach real English. And even then it’s math and English. Not history, real science, social studies etc like on ny. I’m not even sure any teach that. For example Science may be nutrition or Mazalos. Math may cover some finance.
Plenty teach English. But based on what is taught, hours, subjects, and number of years. There are very few options.
I was thrilled my first son went to a school with English until I saw the reality…,

amother
  DarkPurple  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 6:16 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
Right I’m just trying to be realistic about what there is to work with.
There are maybe 3 schools that teach real English. And even then it’s math and English. Not history, real science, social studies etc like on ny. I’m not even sure any teach that. For example Science may be nutrition or Mazalos. Math may cover some finance.
Plenty teach English. But based on what is taught, hours, subjects, and number of years. There are very few options.
I was thrilled my first son went to a school with English until I saw the reality…,

That’s fine. He can read about history, science is relevant only if he goes into the health field, and math and English are required for basically any job.

amother
  Snowdrop  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 6:20 pm
That’s fine. He can read about history, science is relevant only if he goes into the health field, and math and English are required for basically any job.

Still - find out how much there actually is. I’m not sure what my son learned on the topic. That is all. Some places English means a few basic vocabulary words reviewed a week. Math is trading stocks. All I’m saying is don’t see a mesivta has English assume it’s what you expect.

My son in the ged program learned way more. If the skill is what is important he learned skills more then my son in high school. And the boys behaved and took it serious.
I don’t know if he will take the ged but at least he has some of the skills.

amother
  DarkPurple

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 6:21 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
Still - find out how much there actually is. I’m not sure what my son learned on the topic. That is all.

My son in the ged program learned way more. If the skill is what is important he learned skills more then my son in high school. And the boys behaved and took it serious.
I don’t know if he will take the ged but at least he has the skills.

Which GED program? When was it? He did it with boys in his yeshiva? If I go that route, I will likely not allow my son to get a license until he Gets his GED
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics