Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Arfid please help me
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Tangerine  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 8:59 pm
Yes, I’m a school psychologist and I had a student who had anxiety based ARFID. She worked with Katharine Loeb, PhD.
amother OP wrote:
Has anyone experienced arfid stemming from anxiety?

amother
DarkRed  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:08 pm
Just want to put it out there for anyone this may give chizzuk to- I have ARFID and never got treated because it wasn’t a known thing when I was a kid. My diet is severely limited, consisting of only a couple handfuls of things and no real meals and I’m doing fine. I don’t eat out anywhere and will go long periods of time without eating if there’s nothing available that I will eat, but I’m overall happy and healthy and have just accepted that this is how I am. I do need to get shots and infusions.

** I am NOT saying that this is the ideal and that people shouldn’t try to get help. I’m just trying to comfort anyone who may be worried about their kid’s future.**

amother
  Starflower

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:17 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
Just want to put it out there for anyone this may give chizzuk to- I have ARFID and never got treated because it wasn’t a known thing when I was a kid. My diet is severely limited, consisting of only a couple handfuls of things and no real meals and I’m doing fine. I don’t eat out anywhere and will go long periods of time without eating if there’s nothing available that I will eat, but I’m overall happy and healthy and have just accepted that this is how I am. I do need to get shots and infusions.

** I am NOT saying that this is the ideal and that people shouldn’t try to get help. I’m just trying to comfort anyone who may be worried about their kid’s future.**

What type of shots and infusions?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:29 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:
Yes, I’m a school psychologist and I had a student who had anxiety based ARFID. She worked with Katharine Loeb, PhD.

Thank you. Do you know if it helped? Do you live in nj?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:31 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:

As much as I appreciate your point, this worries me. Trying my absolute hardest to help her before but it doesn’t seem to be working.

amother
  Tangerine

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:54 pm
Yes, it helped her. And while the student was in NJ, Katharine was not. I believed they met virtually.
amother OP wrote:
Thank you. Do you know if it helped? Do you live in nj?

amother
  DarkRed  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
As much as I appreciate your point, this worries me. Trying my absolute hardest to help her before but it doesn’t seem to be working.

I apologize. I was just trying to allay some fears. My two cents is that even if the restrictiveness persists, absent anxiety, it’s not a terrible life. What I find so different between me and others with ARFID is that they have crippling anxiety surrounding eating. So even if we have the same thing, I really can’t relate to that aspect of it since I’m BH happy and confident where I’m at. So just based on my experience, I would think the anxiety would be important to tackle. Maybe a homework based approach where she has a little assignment/challenge each month? If you have her list her red, yellow and green foods, that could be a good starting point, working with the yellows.

amother
  DarkRed  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:57 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
What type of shots and infusions?

Iron infusions, vitamin B12 shots, vitamin D….

Honestly, I’d way prefer to get my nutrients intravenously, although I recognize that’s not ideal. Just so much easier!

amother
  DarkRed

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:59 pm
https://www.youtube.com/@MyARFIDLife

For those who find this kind of thing helpful, here’s a channel where a little girl tackles her ARFID.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 10:09 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/@MyARFIDLife

For those who find this kind of thing helpful, here’s a channel where a little girl tackles her ARFID.

She's on Instagram too. She makes a video every day tackling one of her 'fear foods.'

https://www.instagram.com/myar.....3eg==

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 10:25 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
I apologize. I was just trying to allay some fears. My two cents is that even if the restrictiveness persists, absent anxiety, it’s not a terrible life. What I find so different between me and others with ARFID is that they have crippling anxiety surrounding eating. So even if we have the same thing, I really can’t relate to that aspect of it since I’m BH happy and confident where I’m at. So just based on my experience, I would think the anxiety would be important to tackle. Maybe a homework based approach where she has a little assignment/challenge each month? If you have her list her red, yellow and green foods, that could be a good starting point, working with the yellows.

How can this be accomplished if I need to force her because she isn’t motivated?
Maybe I need to move to higher rewards based therapy

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 10:26 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:
Yes, it helped her. And while the student was in NJ, Katharine was not. I believed they met virtually.

Thank you

Has anyone been helped locally anxiety based? (This is not for a speech therapist as they don’t tackle the psychological aspect)

amother
Mocha  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:00 pm
Hello everyone,

As a professional specializing in eating disorders, it's important to understand the three main types of ARFID:

1. Lack of interest in eating or food: Some individuals may have little to no interest in eating due to sensory sensitivity or lack of appetite.

2. Fear of aversive consequences: This includes anxiety about choking, vomiting, or other negative outcomes associated with consuming certain foods.

3. Concerns about the sensory characteristics of food: Individuals may avoid foods based on their texture, taste, smell, or appearance, leading to a severely restricted diet.

I want to emphasize that ARFID manifests differently in various individuals, but it is still a serious illness.

Additionally, please seek help promptly. Treating ARFID in older patients can be significantly more challenging and may result in stunted growth and medical complications.

I've heard positive feedback about Dr. Wolosh, who is supposed to be excellent. For more information and additional referrals, you may want to consider reaching out to Ayelet Hashachar, as they offer extensive resources for ARFID compared to Relief.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:09 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
Hello everyone,

As a professional specializing in eating disorders, it's important to understand the three main types of ARFID:

1. Lack of interest in eating or food: Some individuals may have little to no interest in eating due to sensory sensitivity or lack of appetite.

2. Fear of aversive consequences: This includes anxiety about choking, vomiting, or other negative outcomes associated with consuming certain foods.

3. Concerns about the sensory characteristics of food: Individuals may avoid foods based on their texture, taste, smell, or appearance, leading to a severely restricted diet.

I want to emphasize that ARFID manifests differently in various individuals, but it is still a serious illness.

Additionally, please seek help promptly. Treating ARFID in older patients can be significantly more challenging and may result in stunted growth and medical complications.

I've heard positive feedback about Dr. Wolosh, who is supposed to be excellent. For more information and additional referrals, you may want to consider reaching out to Ayelet Hashachar, as they offer extensive resources for ARFID compared to Relief.

Would you say my daughter doesn’t have arfid if she doesn’t fit neatly into one of these three categories? When asked about trying new foods, she says she’s scared. And then when pressed about what, she just says she’s scared she won’t like it. No matter what we (parents+therapist) tell her, she can’t seem to move past that anxiety. It doesn’t sound like a realistic fear to address like your second bullet point. Her therapist does food exposure therapy, which she participates in very slightly. At home, she’d rather not bother. I don’t know what we can do to help her

amother
  Salmon  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
Would you say my daughter doesn’t have arfid if she doesn’t fit neatly into one of these three categories? When asked about trying new foods, she says she’s scared. And then when pressed about what, she just says she’s scared she won’t like it. No matter what we (parents+therapist) tell her, she can’t seem to move past that anxiety. It doesn’t sound like a realistic fear to address like your second bullet point. Her therapist does food exposure therapy, which she participates in very slightly. At home, she’d rather not bother. I don’t know what we can do to help her

my child had what looked like arfid, but shalva sauer clarified that its was really part of my child's sensory and anxiety disorders and shld be treated from that end. she did continue working with her as a feeding therapist and that helped too!

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:37 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
my child had what looked like arfid, but shalva sauer clarified that its was really part of my child's sensory and anxiety disorders and shld be treated from that end. she did continue working with her as a feeding therapist and that helped too!

Do you have any good recommendations for evaluating sensory/anxiety alone? Is that ot or psychological?

amother
  Salmon  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do you have any good recommendations for evaluating sensory/anxiety alone? Is that ot or psychological?

does anxiety or sensory issues play out in any area other than food?

amother
  Mocha  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:54 pm
amother OP wrote:

Your daughter’s fear of food absolutely does not need to fall neatly into one of these categories. My point in mentioning them is to show that ARFID can show up on many ways and is not necessarily just “picky eating”. If your daughter has anxiety around food, that’s not normal and she deserves help. It might be ARFID and it might not be ARFID but a qualified eating disorder therapist can help nevertheless.

amother
  Mocha  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:55 pm
amother Salmon wrote:

ARFID is an anxiety disorder and when treated correctly is treated as such.

amother
  Mocha

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 11:57 pm
amother OP wrote:

Please please take your daughter to a good eating disorder therapist. Any therapist can treat anxiety but not any therapist can treat eating disorders. Most eating disorder therapists that I know are especially well trained in anxiety in children as that’s usually the underlying issue.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics