Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Arfid please help me
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 7:18 pm
Looking for a top therapist for help with arfid in my daughter age 8. Seeing a local therapist now with no improvement. Mainly need help with anxiety and phobia aspect. Willing to consider anything
Please help

: located in Jackson nj but open to any area within a 30 minute drive

amother
Broom  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 7:21 pm
We used Dr. Miriam Wolosh from Morristown NJ. It was a huge shlep from where we live but she really gets it.

So sorry I don't have a recommendation closer than Morristown NJ but ask Deborah Levinson from Releif she might have something closer.

If you're close to PA Dr. Calderoni was an angel too. She practices in CHOP.

Good luck.
#ihatearfid Sad

amother
Mustard  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 7:25 pm
Have you tried Shalva Sauers agency?

amother
Papayawhip  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 7:36 pm
amother Broom wrote:
We used Dr. Miriam Wolosh from Morristown NJ. It was a huge shlep from where we live but she really gets it.

So sorry I don't have a recommendation closer than Morristown NJ but ask Deborah Levinson from Releif she might have something closer.

If you're close to PA Dr. Calderoni was an angel too. She practices in CHOP.

Good luck.
#ihatearfid Sad

Came here also to say dr.wolosh!
We found her also from.Devorah levinson at relief. She wasn't the first therapist we tried but she was bh the road to a successful recovery. She is experienced knowledgeable. Professional caring frum. Wonderful hashkafos.
Was worth the ride!!

amother
Burntblack  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 7:39 pm
If you're interested in pursuing alternative treatment, I might be able to make a suggestion

amother
Starflower  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 7:42 pm
amother Burntblack wrote:
If you're interested in pursuing alternative treatment, I might be able to make a suggestion

I'm interested. Can you please share more?

amother
  Burntblack  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 7:54 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
I'm interested. Can you please share more?
I don't want to hijack OPs thread so I will keep it very short. There's research out there that arfid maybe autoimmune and triggered by an infection. So treating that (infection, immune modulation) can help with the arfid.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....0640/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....3770/

amother
  Broom  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 7:56 pm
I don't want to hijack OPs thread so I will keep it very short. There's research out there that arfid maybe autoimmune and triggered by an infection. So treating that (infection, immune modulation) can help with the arfid.

Thanks for posting.
Here's the mistake though.

Unlike other eating disorders ARFID is very different.

It is a sensory eating disorder. It isn't listed in the articles you linked because, knowing this organization and having been in touch with them about other things in the mental health industry, they probably don't even know about it.

amother
Salmon  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 7:59 pm
I'm going to second shalva sauer

amother
  Burntblack  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 8:03 pm
amother Broom wrote:
Thanks for posting.
Here's the mistake though.

Unlike other eating disorders ARFID is very different.

It is a sensory eating disorder. It isn't listed in the articles you linked because, knowing this organization and having been in touch with them about other things in the mental health industry, they probably don't even know about it.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

The articles aren't from an organization, they're from pubmed.

One of them mentions arfid by name.

Arfid can have many causes. Sensory issues may be one of them. But arfid in itself just describes a pattern of very restrictive eating, not a cause.

But again I don't want to hijack OPs thread unless she indicates that she wants to know more about this.

amother
  Starflower  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 8:06 pm

Thank you. This makes sense. We've been treating pandas but it's a long complicated ride.

amother
  Broom  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 8:13 pm
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

The articles aren't from an organization, they're from pubmed.

One of them mentions arfid by name.

Arfid can have many causes. Sensory issues may be one of them. But arfid in itself just describes a pattern of very restrictive eating, not a cause.

But again I don't want to hijack OPs thread unless she indicates that she wants to know more about this.

I don't have the time to explain how arfid is different than anorexia but if you search this site you will find my posts that I have written probably 7 years ago when we went through this with one of our children.

It is very different.
If we would treat it like pandas our child would probably not be alive.

amother
Tulip  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 8:16 pm
Op I think my daughter also has afrid. She’s 12. She never budges from the same few items of food and they are mostly spicy. Can you describe your child’s symptoms I’d love to hear.

amother
Lightcoral  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 8:22 pm
amother Papayawhip wrote:
Came here also to say dr.wolosh!
We found her also from.Devorah levinson at relief. She wasn't the first therapist we tried but she was bh the road to a successful recovery. She is experienced knowledgeable. Professional caring frum. Wonderful hashkafos.
Was worth the ride!!

Can you (and another broom) expand on what you mean by success? How limited was your dc before and how significant are the improvements after.
Also does the child have to be motivated to see success, if theyre not interested in putting in effort is there a point.
And if you’re comfortable sharing what this costs and how long you needed to see her.

amother
  Papayawhip  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 8:32 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
Thank you. This makes sense. We've been treating pandas but it's a long complicated ride.

Pandas can cause eating disorders.
Please see Dr Wolosh!
Quicker seek treatment quicker on way recovery

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 8:37 pm
Thank you.
This is not a sensory based arfid. This is stemming from anxiety and fear, but because it’s not a general anxiety, it’s categorized as arfid. Currently doing food exposure therapy but it’s not helping with the root causes. However treating anxiety alone is not either enough.
Her doctors have ruled out other causes.

She has no motivation and we are at our wits end. It’s really hard for everyone in the house because she is so restrictive, affecting us as parents, and her siblings eating patterns as well

amother
  Papayawhip

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 8:40 pm
amother Lightcoral wrote:
Can you (and another broom) expand on what you mean by success? How limited was your dc before and how significant are the improvements after.
Also does the child have to be motivated to see success, if theyre not interested in putting in effort is there a point.
And if you’re comfortable sharing what this costs and how long you needed to see her.

My child was dealing with a severe case of pandas whoch was probably the cause of the arfid/eating disorder. My child was in 1% weight! Next step was death or hospitalization. Treating the pandas did not help with the eating disorder and we needed help. FBT therapy was,recommended. Therapist initially recommended wasn't helpful to us (and did not follow FBT properly) yes it was a travel to dr Wolosh but we really believe she,was the right shaliach for us.
We initially paid.but relief was helpful with outsourcing to another agency who got us approved for insurance payments

Hardest journey in our lives!

amother
  Lightcoral

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 8:43 pm
My child was dealing with a severe case of pandas whoch was probably the cause of the arfid/eating disorder. My child was in 1% weight! Next step was death or hospitalization. Treating the pandas did not help with the eating disorder and we needed help. FBT therapy was,recommended. Therapist initially recommended wasn't helpful to us (and did not follow FBT properly) yes it was a travel to dr Wolosh but we really believe she,was the right shaliach for us.
We initially paid.but relief was helpful with outsourcing to another agency who got us approved for insurance payments

Hardest journey in our lives!

I actually looked on her website and officially she’s in network with my insurance. I have a feeling we won’t be a serious enough case for her fortunately or unfortunately. It’s extreme pickiness stemming from sensory and GI issues but no failure to thrive bH they’re a very healthy size.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 8:52 pm
Has anyone experienced arfid stemming from anxiety?

amother
  Starflower  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 8:54 pm
Pandas can cause eating disorders.
Please see Dr Wolosh!
Quicker seek treatment quicker on way recovery

Does she believe in pandas? Can you please elaborate on her method?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics