Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Advice Needed- No Air Conditioning

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 1:19 pm
My daughter is a counselor in a daycamp in Monsey. She is 16, her assistant is 13 and the have 23 campers ages 3-4.
They spend most of the day inside a makeshift cabin (tentlike fabric). This is the third week of camp and the AC has not been working. Supposedly its being fixed.
She comes home exhausted and overheated every day. The campers get rowdy and are harder to control in the heat.
Do I get involved and call the director? There is a heatwave. I don't understand this.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 1:24 pm
Other than the AC issue, she is enjoying the job.

amother
Clear

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 1:30 pm
I would ask the director. My son's were in a camp one summer without AC but we knew about it and the kids were fine. They were also older. I got them good fans with water and they drank a lot.

There are other camps in Monsey as well without AC but it is a heatwave now and I would be wary of the situation

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 1:34 pm
Yes, you call the director.
Had a similar situation but my daughter was the assistant. Picked her up one day when she got a headache from the heat and told the main counselor she has an obligation to call the kids parents so they can decide to pick up kids or not.
Called the director and let her know it's unsafe and unacceptable and my daughter will not be returning until it's fixed
The director was not there and had no idea just how hot and unbearable it was. She was completely hands off and was never on site.

Oysters

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 1:37 pm
Do the parents know that their children are without a/c?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps