Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Help me figure out Costco (vs Walmart +)
Previous  1  2

Should I get a costco membership
yes  
 34%  [ 15 ]
no  
 65%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 44

mommyhood

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 5:40 pm
I love Costco but it’s a time commitment, it’s an extra place to go, parking is crowded and lined can be very long, at least at all the ones in my area. It’s worth it for me because I have the time and I save a ton on things like allergy medicine when I stock up on sale but if I was working as much as you were I would definitely skip it. It’s not a one stop shop, I still have to fill in at the kosher store for meats and yogurts etc and Walmart/Target/Shoprite for pantry staples if I want to be cost effective for the things Costco doesn’t carry.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 7:13 pm
One other thing I save on which might be relevant but not necessarily is my daughter's contacts. They carry her brand and I get them very cheap, probably that alone paid for my membership.

amother
Chambray

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 8:58 pm
What are the benefits to walmart+ delivery vs walmart shipping?
Can you get groceries? Fresh produce?
What are the minimums?
Any extra fees?

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 9:15 pm
Amarante wrote:
You can't use their website unless you are a member.

I guess it depends on the person as I am generally never tempted by that kind of random stuff. At most I buy a large jar of cashews which gets eaten and not wasted.

I don't generally go down the aisles where they have that kind of stuff as I head for the back where the food is. I don't go down the aisle with chips at a grocery store either. Very Happy

You can use their website without a membership but not everything is available and prices are more expensive. Still worthwhile sometimes.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 9:24 pm
amother Chambray wrote:
What are the benefits to walmart+ delivery vs walmart shipping?
Can you get groceries? Fresh produce?
What are the minimums?
Any extra fees?

Yup! Anything you'd buy in store for the most part they'll shop for you like InstaCart.
$35 minimum for delivery vs shipping which with Walmart Plus is free no minimum.
Tipping optional.
They have an in house service for more but you don't have to get that add on.

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 3:42 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Yup! Anything you'd buy in store for the most part they'll shop for you like InstaCart.
$35 minimum for delivery vs shipping which with Walmart Plus is free no minimum.
Tipping optional.
They have an in house service for more but you don't have to get that add on.

Can you please explain this more?
If I use Walmart without the plus, I can do shipping for free but it takes 2 days and has a $35 minimum.
If I have the Walmart +, what are the minimums for shipping or for delivery? Are there additional fees or costs? Like for specific time slots?

Are prices the same as in store if I do delivery?
Also would fresh fruit and perishables be available?

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 5:04 am
I have both memberships.

I live out of town and Costco is the cheapest place to buy chicken, cheese, hot dogs, etc.

Go with a list. Get exactly what’s on the list. Go home.

If I could get the kosher food cheaper somewhere else it would not be worth it. It’s not worth it for the other stuff, many other stuff is not cheaper, you have to price compare

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 5:36 am
amother Chambray wrote:
Can you please explain this more?
If I use Walmart without the plus, I can do shipping for free but it takes 2 days and has a $35 minimum.
If I have the Walmart +, what are the minimums for shipping or for delivery? Are there additional fees or costs? Like for specific time slots?

Are prices the same as in store if I do delivery?
Also would fresh fruit and perishables be available?

Shipping time would be the same but there's no minimum with plus. You can ship a $6 item for free. And if there's a local store with that item, you may get it that day or the next, though no guarantees.
Delivery means you pick a time slot where they have a shopper go for you, yes for produce and perishables. I already explained about fees and costs: tipping optional, no other cost unless you sign up for them to place it inside your house vs porch. There's also express delivery you can pay more if you can't wait a few hours. You pick a time slot for delivery and they will deliver it then. It used to be an hour window but it's 2 hours now. Costs are the same as in store. You're supposed to have $35 minimum but I've seen them at times waive that if my order totals that and some is only available via shipping...

I think it's half off to sign up now for Walmart Plus.
Also anyone on Medicaid can get it half off.

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 8:12 am
amother Whitewash wrote:
I have both memberships.

I live out of town and Costco is the cheapest place to buy chicken, cheese, hot dogs, etc.

Go with a list. Get exactly what’s on the list. Go home.

If I could get the kosher food cheaper somewhere else it would not be worth it. It’s not worth it for the other stuff, many other stuff is not cheaper, you have to price compare

Same

And I don’t go to often I don’t have the time for it so I stock up when I do go to Costco.

PrairieFairy

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 8:29 am
Just want to add that with costco, they have amazing customer service (and treat their employees way better than Walmart. Have a friend who uses costco for this reason...) so if you buy a membership and return within the year, you will get a full refund.

Therefore, you can try it out yourself and cancel if you see you splurge.

I find it helpful for ppl who have a large family, will get those specific items/quantities anyway, buy a lot of chicken/cheese/deli, and buy brand name things. Costco doesn't really have generic items like Walmart (except Kirkland. But great value is still cheaper for many things).

The lines are always out the door and adds time as well.

Another point to consider is gas. Sometimes the gas (especially if you have a gas guzzler and drive a lot) also brings a nice offset to the cost.

That being said, it doesn't seem like the right fit for you right now. It's not for everyone and that's ok. I definitely prefer Walmart for all the reasons you mentioned as well.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 10:46 am
Costco lines are not always out the door... There are hundreds across the country with different crowds and different times are more manageable. A weekend will be busier than a weeknight for example.

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 10:51 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Shipping time would be the same but there's no minimum with plus. You can ship a $6 item for free. And if there's a local store with that item, you may get it that day or the next, though no guarantees.
Delivery means you pick a time slot where they have a shopper go for you, yes for produce and perishables. I already explained about fees and costs: tipping optional, no other cost unless you sign up for them to place it inside your house vs porch. There's also express delivery you can pay more if you can't wait a few hours. You pick a time slot for delivery and they will deliver it then. It used to be an hour window but it's 2 hours now. Costs are the same as in store. You're supposed to have $35 minimum but I've seen them at times waive that if my order totals that and some is only available via shipping...

I think it's half off to sign up now for Walmart Plus.
Also anyone on Medicaid can get it half off.

Thanks.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics