Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Would you allow your kid to dive in a 7 foot pool?
Previous  1  2

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 6:35 pm
where I went to camp the pool was 8 feet deep. I was really good at diving and I used to get to the bottom of the pool. I would be nervous with a 7 foot pool. I was prob 14 at the time

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 6:35 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:
As a side note
Ive been looking for a lifeguarding job upstate with no luck (hard to find housing)
Spoke to many many colonies
As far as I know st least 20 places started the summer without a lifeguard. I cannot wrap my head around this concept.
Who take responsibility of a pool with kids and no lifeguard?

Unbelievable

Why wait for tragedies to make an awareness and take action
Wish there was something I could do

That is absolutely crazy!
Unfortunately, some colonies don't think that having a lifeguard is important enough & they refuse to offer a bungalow for a lifeguard. It's hard to find a lifeguard that's willing & able to travel to the colony every day.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 6:40 pm
Nope.
Our colony has a no diving rule and it’s totally enforced.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 6:45 pm
No.

I'd rather be a mean mommy to a still healthy child than a nice mommy to a paralyzed one.

amother
  Canary

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:11 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:
Fellow lifeguard and wsi here
I wouldn't allow diving in a 7 foot pool
Not sure when you took the wsi course
But the according to the red cross the minimum is 9 feet

I took the wsi course last year in yeled vyalda and we went to an Olympic 13 ft deep pool for the diving part of the course
Op you are not the meanest mommy you are the safest and most responsible. It would take 1 casualty chas vshalom for everyone in your colony to be as strict as you
Take no shortcuts at the pool!

I did my wsi at yeled as well. And yes we went to a jcc for the diving.

I was talking about the Y and diving over there.

Yes, I know 9 feet is Red Cross Suggested and preferable. I’m curious as to how I dived at the Y. (. 15 yrs ago)

I give instruction at a 8 foot deep pool and teach diving. Would NEVER EVER allow it at open swim

op you are being a responsible mother to echo above poster. Never take easy way out in regards to safety

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:22 pm
My father was a lawyer and these cases came up - of people getting paralyzed from diving in too shallow pools and he warned me against it.

He would also warn me about lead poisoning in kids. To be careful with peeling paint.

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:30 pm
You are not a mean mommy but a safe mommy. It has nothing to do with how safe a swimmer they are. It has to do with hitting the bottom.
And my kids knew I wasn't mean when I made them sit in car seats or boosters past the age other moms made their kids use them. This kid was small. My kid told the other kids who teased "well I am glad my mommy cares about my safety".
It's all about perspective and educating your kids. I told my kid the dangers of not being in the correct seat and how I met a kid whose brother died because he was not in the right seat during a car crash. It wasn't to scare them, I said it calmly and in a way to educate my kid.

amother
  Nemesia

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:34 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Are the lesson's given by a certified lifeguard? Because 7' is not considered safe for diving. According to the American red cross, pools need to be 9' deep for diving. No American certified lifeguard may allow kids to dive in a pool under 9' deep.

Yes

amother
Carnation

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:36 pm
Seasoned lifeguard here. I would never allow it. 7 feet is too shallow for diving. You are doing the right thing. It’s a shame you are the minority.

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:58 pm
Too shallow!

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 6:49 am
I don't know where you live, but in New York it would even be illegal for the pool to allow that:

"Department of Health Requirements: Prohibits head first diving in water depths less than 8 feet."

https://www.health.ny.gov/envi.....feet.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 6:55 am
amother Canary wrote:
I took my original life guarding course in the Boro Park Y- 7 ft and we dived.

That is the minimum.

Question if I would be comfortable?
I am a certified WSI instructor-
I wouldn’t allow jumping dives. But yes sitting and kneeling. Standing I’m not sure. Maybe only with close supervision

I learned how to swim at the Boro Park Y and the only diving allowed was a sitting dive.

watergirl  

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 6:59 am
amother Canary wrote:
I took my original life guarding course in the Boro Park Y- 7 ft and we dived.

That is the minimum.

Question if I would be comfortable?
I am a certified WSI instructor-
I wouldn’t allow jumping dives. But yes sitting and kneeling. Standing I’m not sure. Maybe only with close supervision

I was going to say similar. In my before BT days, I was a Red Cross lifeguard and passed all the levels needed to get there. We learned how to shallow dive. No way in the world would I allow my kids to dive into 7 feet. The risk is FAR greater than the fun they'd have.

Also, learning to dive is not so simple. Are these kids REALLY diving? Head first? If there are lifeguards present, I'd be shocked if they really allow diving in 7 feet for untrained kids just playing. If there are no lifeguards, even MORE so I would not let my kids dive.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 7:04 am
amother Papayawhip wrote:
Is he an excellent swimmer? Are you able to swim? I let mine dive but she’s an excellent swimmer and we always have someone who can jump in and help her if needed. If you have both of those I don’t see the big deal.
Chas v'shalom if your child hits their head, having someone jump in if needed is not going to help, the damage is already done.

Diving in 7 feet is crazy dangerous. Lifeguards only do it because if they need to jump in to rescue someone in the shallow water, this is the most efficient way to get to the victim quickly.

Those of you who allow it - PLEASE STOP. No matter how good a swimmer your child is, this is extremely dangerous. How many times during the summers do we get tehillim requests for kids who hurt themselves in the water? We have to be smarter than this!

Aurora

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 7:05 am
I used to be a lifeguard. Would never allow anyone diving in 7 feet. I know that 9' is the minimum, but I really only start to feel safe with 10' and up.

Would rather be paranoid than see a paralyzed kid. You aren't a mean mommy. You're a really good mommy!!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics