Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Help a hopeless baker make my own kiddush!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 1:10 am
amother Azalea wrote:
Crinkle cookies (I can post my recipe tomorrow)

Toffee bars
https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....-4161
You can break these into jagged pieces. Not all the same sizes. And serve them in a wide cylinder glass container.

Mini Chocolate cupcakes
I'd use the Hershey birthday cake recipe. Use cupcake holders to help match whatever color scheme (if you're having) and icing glaze with whatever color sparkle sugar

Sugar cookies
By cookbook never fail sugar cookies are good

Rugelach

These are all things that can freeze nicely and you can make them with your kids.

I have a crinkle cookie recipe. The problem with making them in advance, is that when you freeze them, the icing melts, and if you resprinkle, you don't get those nice dark cracks.

The toffee bars sound amazing. I'm not allowed to use nuts in my shul. What can I use for topping besides for raisins?

Where do I get the Hershey birthday cake recipe?

Thanks for the ideas!

amother
  Azalea

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 1:17 am
amother OP wrote:
I have a crinkle cookie recipe. The problem with making them in advance, is that when you freeze them, the icing melts, and if you resprinkle, you don't get those nice dark cracks.

The toffee bars sound amazing. I'm not allowed to use nuts in my shul. What can I use for topping besides for raisins?

Where do I get the Hershey birthday cake recipe?

Thanks for the ideas!

For the Toffee bars maybe just drizzle white icing on top of the chocolate (once it hardens)?
Sea salt and small pretzel pieces?

https://www.hersheyland.com/re......html
I use cold water instead of milk.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 1:38 am
You guys are the best. This seems much more doable now. For someone who's done it, how ambitious are cake pops?

familyfirst

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 1:53 am
Reismans sells delicious individual cookies etc. You will NOT be saving much money doing this yourself. Unless you make cakes and bars, and just cut them.

Individual cups etc take time, take up space in fridge. Please think this through.

What is your budget? How many people?
Then let’s work around that and see how we can come up with a menu

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 1:58 am
is the kiddish for men only? that is typical in my community...
in that case I would buy simple sheet cakes and cookie platters (likely the same as making miniatures yourself...buying all the ingredients add up!)
Mazel Tov!

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 6:41 pm
I'm also not a baker so everybody tell me if this doesn't make sense

Can she take sponge cake and put it into individual miniature cups with whip and strawberry sauce?

amother
Vanilla

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 6:45 pm
Personally find it more expensive when I bake myself.

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 6:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
This sounds amazing, but I'm having trouble picturing it.

It's mini trifles.

amother
Freesia

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
You guys are the best. This seems much more doable now. For someone who's done it, how ambitious are cake pops?

Who are you trying to impress, and why?

You're not a good baker. You're short on time and funds. Why are you trying to patchke?

I hate baking and if I had to cater for a crowd, I'd do:

Chocolate chip sticks
Brownies
Zebra fudge cookies
Mayyyybe a jam crumble bar (big pan cut into pieces)

But I'm realistic about my abilities and my bandwidth. I accept that my strengths do not lie here. I'm okay not impressing anybody.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 9:56 pm
The cake pop recipe didn't look difficult. Are looks deceiving? What about mousse cups?

amother
Waterlily

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 10:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
The cake pop recipe didn't look difficult. Are looks deceiving? What about mousse cups?

It’s less about difficulty and more about how much time it takes. You could just as easily make Rice Krispie squares and cut small, stick a straw inside and drizzle with chocolate and add some white glittery sprinkles. Same idea, way less time.

amother
White  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 10:41 pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=.....jaXBl

These mini cups are easy, but do you have freezer space for all of them

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 10:43 pm
Bake a brownie cake recipe, a sponge or any white cake recipe and a pink cake recipe.
You can frost it with bought frosting or make your own, either cut it into perfect squares and put in these mini square plates I think they're 2"x2" and you can put a rum ball in the center and voila you have a miniature.
or
You buy a whip spray can. Cut out small squares with a cookie cutter, or round and push it into mini mousse cups, spray whip cream and push a coffee bean into it or fancy sprinkles.
You do the same thing with the white cake and the pink cake.
You choose color coordinated accents, like fruit candy or anything that coordinates.
When all else fails, buy some pretty cookies and tie a ribbon around it or peanut chews and there you have your miniatures.
You can also take those long jam cookies and wrap it in fancy paper with a ribbon and stack it. (they sell these things in the miniature stores)
You just have to give it a bit of thought and decide what you will do.
Mazel Tov and remember to stay calm no matter what!

erm

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 10:52 pm
check world of Chantilly website. they have cheaper items that might be worth your while to order. check out their logs, tarts, and pies only $30 each or mini cupcakes.

amother
  White  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 10:56 pm
amother White wrote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i_FFKjhZ85k&pp=ygUSbW91c3NlIGN1cHMgcmVjaXBl

These mini cups are easy, but do you have freezer space for all of them

Look through YouTube
There’s also fruit flavour mini cups

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 10:56 pm
I'm getting so stressed out for you Can't Believe It

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 10:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
You're so sweet. I'm out of town

does your community have a bakery that perhaps sells their fancy stuff at a discounted price right before closing? perhaps you can buy and then freeze it?

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:52 pm
I served mini cups filled with jello and a little whip cream (besides for all the mezonos). Easy, looked pretty and colorful on the table. They all went.

If you use ready flaky dough and whipped cream with vanilla pudding as filling and sprinkle some confectionery sugar on top, you can make mini napoleons.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 11:53 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:
Bake a brownie cake recipe, a sponge or any white cake recipe and a pink cake recipe.
You can frost it with bought frosting or make your own, either cut it into perfect squares and put in these mini square plates I think they're 2"x2" and you can put a rum ball in the center and voila you have a miniature.
or
You buy a whip spray can. Cut out small squares with a cookie cutter, or round and push it into mini mousse cups, spray whip cream and push a coffee bean into it or fancy sprinkles.
You do the same thing with the white cake and the pink cake.
You choose color coordinated accents, like fruit candy or anything that coordinates.
When all else fails, buy some pretty cookies and tie a ribbon around it or peanut chews and there you have your miniatures.
You can also take those long jam cookies and wrap it in fancy paper with a ribbon and stack it. (they sell these things in the miniature stores)
You just have to give it a bit of thought and decide what you will do.
Mazel Tov and remember to stay calm no matter what!

I wish I could see pictures! I'm so not good at visualizing the end product. What long jam cookies?

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Jul 09 2024, 12:06 am
Bar recipes that were posted above.-(lemon bars, jam squares, brownies with chocolate icing) All baked in 9x13s that can be stacked and frozen. Peanut chews are a hit and look very nice cut with a round cutter. Chocolate chip cookie sticks- Make one recipe with chocolate chips and one recipe plain coated with cinnamon sugar. Cake pops take a lot of time and skill- the stick falls out- the amount of dipping chocolate- keeping it warm enough to coat without burning it- maybe you could just buy cake pops and not buy anything else. Loaf cakes are popular. Any Bundt cake recipe can be baked in a loaf pan. 3 different flavors next to each other on matching rectangular trays look elegant. Mousse cups.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics