Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Would you allow your kid to dive in a 7 foot pool?
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:29 pm
I go to a bungalow colony, with a pool that is 7 feet deep. Apparently, I am the meanest mommy and I just don't want my kid to have fun ever and that's why I am the only mommy in the world that doesn't let him dive in the pool. All the other kids dive and nothing ever happened to any of them, and that is proof (to him) that it must be safe. He was angry enough that he left the pool area, to prove that swimming with me watching is not even worth it.

This child is a shortish, skinny 12 year old. When I google safe diving depths, I am not finding much. The government website says 8 or 9 feet are considered safe (chilukei dayos) but they also say small kids will not enter the water with as much force and therefore won't hit the bottom as hard.

(Totally nothing to do with my question, but if you're wondering why a frum mommy was watching a 12 year old boy at the pool, our bungalow colony has no lifeguard for the boys so they have a boys' swimming time with no men allowed and mommies watch their kids.)

amother
Papayawhip

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:34 pm
Is he an excellent swimmer? Are you able to swim? I let mine dive but she’s an excellent swimmer and we always have someone who can jump in and help her if needed. If you have both of those I don’t see the big deal.

mom

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:34 pm
I would let my 7 year old dive in a 7 foot pool.. she's an excellent swimmer. Depends on his swimming ability and level

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:36 pm
He is a good swimmer and I swim, but that doesn't help if a kid hits his head on the floor. People become paralyzed like that. I personally know someone who is paralyzed from the waist down since he dove into a lake at camp and banged his head on a rock.

Aurora  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:36 pm
No. I would want at least 10 feet.

mizle10

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:38 pm
The issue isn’t being a good swimmer, the issue is that diving into a pool that isn’t deep enough can cause spinal injuries.

OP I would allow jumping but no diving

Blessing1  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:41 pm
amother Papayawhip wrote:
Is he an excellent swimmer? Are you able to swim? I let mine dive but she’s an excellent swimmer and we always have someone who can jump in and help her if needed. If you have both of those I don’t see the big deal.

Being a good swimmer doesn't help if the pool is too shallow for diving. The danger is banging the head at the bottom of the pool. 7' is too shallow for diving.
OP, is there not a lifeguard on premises?

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:42 pm
I teach my kids to shallow dive. Yes I would allow them to dive in 7 feet.

amother
Nemesia  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:46 pm
Yes I would, that’s how deep the pool my kids get lessons to dive in is. No diving board just off the side.

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:50 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
Yes I would, that’s how deep the pool my kids get lessons to dive in is. No diving board just off the side.
Are these lessons given by a lifeguard?

amother
Pistachio

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:50 pm
I would not. A 12 year old will probably jump in with enough force to hit their head at the bottom of 7feet.

Blessing1  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:56 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:

Are the lesson's given by a certified lifeguard? Because 7' is not considered safe for diving. According to the American red cross, pools need to be 9' deep for diving. No American certified lifeguard may allow kids to dive in a pool under 9' deep.

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 9:08 pm
Our colony has an excellent and very strict lifeguard. The pool is 7' deep and she allows supervised diving. Our colony is about 40 years old and I never heard of anyone hitting their head on the bottom.

Blessing1  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 9:12 pm
amother Aconite wrote:
Our colony has an excellent and very strict lifeguard. The pool is 7' deep and she allows supervised diving. Our colony is about 40 years old and I never heard of anyone hitting their head on the bottom.

She's not very strict if she doesn't follow the guidelines. If something happens ch'v, she can be charged & held responsible.

amother
Canary  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 9:13 pm
I took my original life guarding course in the Boro Park Y- 7 ft and we dived.

That is the minimum.

Question if I would be comfortable?
I am a certified WSI instructor-
I wouldn’t allow jumping dives. But yes sitting and kneeling. Standing I’m not sure. Maybe only with close supervision

happy chick

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 9:13 pm
Not off a diving board, but a 7 foot pool shouldnt have a diving board. "Diving" from the side of the pool is not going to have enough force for him to hit his head.

perquacky

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 9:14 pm
Nope. No way. Seven feet is not deep enough for any type of dive, with the exception of a seated dive.

Blessing1  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 9:18 pm
happy chick wrote:
Not off a diving board, but a 7 foot pool shouldnt have a diving board. "Diving" from the side of the pool is not going to have enough force for him to hit his head.

This really depends on the specific person & their build. If a 5'+ tall person is diving standing in to a 7' deep pool, there certainly is a big risk for them to hit their head ch'v.

amother
Sunflower  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 9:25 pm
amother Canary wrote:
I took my original life guarding course in the Boro Park Y- 7 ft and we dived.

That is the minimum.

Question if I would be comfortable?
I am a certified WSI instructor-
I wouldn’t allow jumping dives. But yes sitting and kneeling. Standing I’m not sure. Maybe only with close supervision

Fellow lifeguard and wsi here
I wouldn't allow diving in a 7 foot pool
Not sure when you took the wsi course
But the according to the red cross the minimum is 9 feet

I took the wsi course last year in yeled vyalda and we went to an Olympic 13 ft deep pool for the diving part of the course
Op you are not the meanest mommy you are the safest and most responsible. It would take 1 casualty chas vshalom for everyone in your colony to be as strict as you
Take no shortcuts at the pool!

amother
  Sunflower

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 9:29 pm
As a side note
Ive been looking for a lifeguarding job upstate with no luck (hard to find housing)
Spoke to many many colonies
As far as I know st least 20 places started the summer without a lifeguard. I cannot wrap my head around this concept.
Who take responsibility of a pool with kids and no lifeguard?

Unbelievable

Why wait for tragedies to make an awareness and take action
Wish there was something I could do
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics