Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Chalav Yisroel yogurt- probiotics

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 11:15 pm
We made the switch from chalav stam to chalav Yisroel a few months ago, and I am finding that the lack of good yogurt is affecting my child who needs the probiotics.

Is there any tasty chalav Yisroel yogurt that has good probiotics or do I have to go to chalav stam for him? (He doesn’t like Greek yogurt)

mandr  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 11:31 pm
Get probiotics separate from yogurt. Then give whatever yogurt you want. Most yogurt anyway has very little probiotics by the time you eat it. The only one I can think of that would be good is Bethel but it’s Greek.

amother
Blue  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 11:34 pm
What about the Mehadrin Kefir?

Or you can buy probiotics separately and dissolve them in the yogurt of your choice. Which sounds like a simpler solution.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 11:43 pm
mandr wrote:
Get probiotics separate from yogurt. Then give whatever yogurt you want. Most yogurt anyway has very little probiotics by the time you eat it. The only one I can think of that would be good is Bethel but it’s Greek.

No he won’t take it. He won’t take any powder added to anything so I need it already in the yogurt

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 11:44 pm
amother Blue wrote:
What about the Mehadrin Kefir?

Or you can buy probiotics separately and dissolve them in the yogurt of your choice. Which sounds like a simpler solution.

I’m gonna look into that. Is it sour though?
He’s used to the taste of the stoneyfield yogurt which was sweet.

He won’t take anything with powder dissolved in it (he needed a lot of meds at one point and he became an expert in knowing when something has powder in it)

amother
  Blue  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 11:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m gonna look into that. Is it sour though?
He’s used to the taste of the stoneyfield yogurt which was sweet.

He won’t take anything with powder dissolved in it (he needed a lot of meds at one point and he became an expert in knowing when something has powder in it)

No. The plain is more natural, But the vanilla and strawberry taste like all the other sweet yogurts. The texture is a bit thinner but not much.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 11:49 pm
amother Blue wrote:
No. The plain is more natural, But the vanilla and strawberry taste like all the other sweet yogurts. The texture is a bit thinner but not much.

Amazing, I’m gonna try it. Thank you!! That price tag though 😳

amother
  Blue

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 11:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Amazing, I’m gonna try it. Thank you!! That price tag though 😳

It's a full 8 oz, much bigger than other yogurts. You can divide it into two if you're trying to save money.

mandr

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 1:13 am
probiotic powder has a very mild taste. He would not know if you added it to typical foods, like into a bowl of cereal, into a random yogurt, into a mashed egg, etc.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 6:08 am
mandr wrote:
probiotic powder has a very mild taste. He would not know if you added it to typical foods, like into a bowl of cereal, into a random yogurt, into a mashed egg, etc.

Unfortunately he can tell 😬

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 6:15 am
Maybe you can make your own yogurt. Viili is one kind. I have the impression it works at room temperature and does not need the warmth of a yogurt maker. Not sure.

I don't know if that makes it Chalav Yisroel. You could ask a Rav.

https://fermentersclub.com/viili/

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:07 am
This is a question for your rav. If he won't eat anything with powder or take a probiotic chewable (and I do understand that- I have kids who are the same), then the yogurt is medicine. Hatzlachah with the kefir, but if not, you very well may be told that for this kid, you give him the Stoneyfield.

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:31 am
mandr wrote:

As someone with that trauma yes I can tell if something's been added

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:51 am
amother Khaki wrote:
This is a question for your rav. If he won't eat anything with powder or take a probiotic chewable (and I do understand that- I have kids who are the same), then the yogurt is medicine. Hatzlachah with the kefir, but if not, you very well may be told that for this kid, you give him the Stoneyfield.

Ya thanks I asked already and it’s fine if there is no equivalent.

I was just wondering if there is an equivalent

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 7:57 am
There's Bethel, Wayside Acres, Mehadrin kefir, and a new brand that makes drinkable probiotic but those are a bit fizzy/sour kind of like "seltzer yogurt" as I told my kid

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 8:37 am
amother OP wrote:
Ya thanks I asked already and it’s fine if there is no equivalent.

I was just wondering if there is an equivalent

Your amazing!
You should see alot of bracha from doing it

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 9:25 am
Meant to be is also pure- might be what you’re looking for.

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 9:26 am
mushkamothers wrote:
There's Bethel, Wayside Acres, Mehadrin kefir, and a new brand that makes drinkable probiotic but those are a bit fizzy/sour kind of like "seltzer yogurt" as I told my kid

Thanks. I live out of town so haven’t seen a lot of these. I’m gonna look on the grocery app that delivers to us
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen