Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do you make your kids daven?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 1:16 am
Do you make your kids daven in the morning when they're not in school? I didn't grow up super religious so I'm not sure what's the norm.

I daven every day so they see me doing it. I don't know if I should make them if they forget or don't want to. I don't want to put them off it. They're 4 and 7 so still little.

amother
Garnet

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 1:25 am
amother OP wrote:
Do you make your kids daven in the morning when they're not in school? I didn't grow up super religious so I'm not sure what's the norm.

I daven every day so they see me doing it. I don't know if I should make them if they forget or don't want to. I don't want to put them off it. They're 4 and 7 so still little.

At that age, I daven with them. We make it exciting, they get to choose a Siddur or a recording of songs if they do that in school and they snuggle with me on the couch and we sing together.
My kids that are davening like that now are 6, 4 and 3, so I daven 3 times Smile but it's working well for us and they enjoy davening with me

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 2:20 am
I don't force them, but I do incentivize it ("once we've all davened we'll do XXX").

If they express reluctance I encourage them to do a very short davening, meaning whatever part of Birchos Hashachar, Shema, and asking Hashem for what they want or need (the essence of Shmoneh Esrei). It takes under 5 minutes usually.

I do not ever pressure kids to daven the whole thing or even everything they say in school.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 2:32 am
I second all of the above.

I daven with the kids and they get s davvening treat after.

Brit in Israel

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 5:38 am
Encourage don't pressure

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 5:41 am
I just started to make it fun with my 3 year old, put the chairs in a circle he sits on one , my toddler on the other and we sing a few davening songs then he gets a treat after, sometimes he'll want to cooperate more than others but this idea worked for me
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics