Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Have you done your own French manicure?

amother
OP  

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 2:31 pm
I tried the little adhesive strips, white stuff got under them. I tried freehand, left hand wasn't too bad but I don't think I'll ever develop a steady enough left hand to do the right hand well.

I'm a very DIY kinda gal, plus I don't like the idea of going to a salon & inhaling all those polish fumes...

For now I just did the sheer pink which of course is not as classy as painting the tips white.

Curious if a/o has mastered this. Or do I invite a friend over & do each others manicures?

singleagain

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 2:37 pm
Why not just invite a friend over? It sounds so much more fun and bonding. Plus quality time and acts of service.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 3:19 pm
Have you already tried YouTube for hacks?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 4:49 pm
you will get better in time. have you tried nail stickers?

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 7:14 pm
Yes, I watched a few videos, & got the stickers, which did not seem to work. Maybe I didn't stick them down securely enough, which, again, is hard to do w non-dominant hand. Nut I think worked equally poorly on both.

Most of my friends are eactually not the type, may try to get a young relative involved...

Or one of those manicurists who makes house calls ; )

Brit in Israel

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 3:34 pm
I use to do it, haven't done it probably for 10 yrs
My trick was painting the white on my actual finger and just the tiniest bit of the brush went on the nail.
You do have to be careful cleaning your fingers after not to smudge the nails

Iymnok

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 3:37 pm
Hold the brush steady on the table with your non-dominant hand. With your dominant hand, turn your finger under the bush to get a smooth line.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 12:25 am
Ah, thanks Lymnok. That sounds like it may work.

My other issue is keeping the edges around the nail clean. I tried cleaning off w the tip of my file when there's a little too much polish next to the cuticle, but usually that takes off too much.

In one video she used a little brush dipped in acetone, but seems like that will take off base coat too.

May just go back to clear (mistakes don't show!) or actually get a manicure!

nicole81

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 1:03 am
amother OP wrote:
Ah, thanks Lymnok. That sounds like it may work.

My other issue is keeping the edges around the nail clean. I tried cleaning off w the tip of my file when there's a little too much polish next to the cuticle, but usually that takes off too much.

In one video she used a little brush dipped in acetone, but seems like that will take off base coat too.

May just go back to clear (mistakes don't show!) or actually get a manicure!

Buy the orange (wood) sticks on Amazon. That's what they use at the salon and they're cheap.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 6:51 pm
Well, here are some things I've figured out by trial and error (and practice makes better but not perfect yet)

(Note I am not using gel and while thinking about going to a salon for upcoming simcha, so far I am just practicing and getting better at it.

I'm also while thinking I'm really a more spiritual person and why am I spending so much time on this? However the yellowness of my nails was getting me down & I do this for my own self-esteem or something like that.... After all, I see my nails much more than my face... but I do mke sure to put on a drop of makeup most days, even when I'm not going out & it's only me who will see it. Besides for DH who officially thinks I look nicer without makeup. Maybe he needs an eye exam...)

1. It's not worth putting tape all around your nails. Have an envelope or piece of cardboard on your table. Push the corner of your nail up against it so you can paint the corner white while keeping finger more or less clean. Then do other corner, then paint across.

2. The guides don't always work so you end up w a lot to clean on the edges. I'm happier with free hand.

3. Instead of cleaning up an imperfect edge w nail polish remover or acetone, I just apply a little of my clear base coat. Then I clean with the tip of a nail file. It's not perfect but I like it better than the mess.

4. As far as fingers, the white stuff comes off in the bath or with a little scraping. Not right away so if you have simcha, start the day before.

5. The pink translucent stuff (I got Orly French manicure) is very streaky, but two coats is too much for me. Today I just did clear "won't chip" on top of white & I like it much better.

6. If you need to clip & file, do the white first! This way your fingertips stay cleaner. Paint the white, touch up as needed. Let dry very well, then clip & file. Afterwards use "Won't chip" or other clear top coat.

7. If you see a chip in the white in the next few days, buff with a buffing block. Add a touch of white. let dry very well & buff as needed. Then apply your clear coat over it.

8. a manicurist gave me this advice. Always buff, add a half coat to tips of your top coat. Buff again & add a full coat. Protects the tips much better.

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 8:31 pm
Paint some white on a sponge or your opposite hand and gently roll your finger tip in it.

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Aug 04 2024, 9:08 pm
Create Perfect French Tips Instantly with Clear Silicone Nail Stamper & Scraper Set
I discovered amazing products on SHEIN.com, come check them out!
http://api-shein.shein.com/h5/.....59840

Ruchel

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 12:31 pm
I've done just with polish and patience

amother
Jasmine

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 12:36 pm
Op im sorry I didnt see this thread earlier! Best hack ever- use electric tape to make a guide on your nails. Put a piece on each nail, press down well. Paint the end white-the polish does NOT leak through the tape! But it has to be electric tape, works better than any other tape or guide

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 5:06 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
Paint some white on a sponge or your opposite hand and gently roll your finger tip in it.
I've seen such devices, but I think they are for gel?

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Aug 05 2024, 5:07 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
Op im sorry I didnt see this thread earlier! Best hack ever- use electric tape to make a guide on your nails. Put a piece on each nail, press down well. Paint the end white-the polish does NOT leak through the tape! But it has to be electric tape, works better than any other tape or guide
but does it pull off your base coat? I find even the strips made for it sometimes do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics