Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you like Shabbos?
Previous  1  2

amother
  Oak

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 4:40 pm
amother Mint wrote:
Why is it insulting? I'm happy she feels that way! shabbos is meant to be beautiful. I struggle with it too, but that's my issue- like you said- shalom bayis etc.
But why would I want other people to not like shabbos?
Shabbos is the core of judiasm and actually, despite me really struggling every week starting Thursday, I still don't think we should openly complain about it because it's Mekor habracha. So even when I have a problem the way I choose to keep it is just to not "insult" it.

You really don’t understand why it’s insulting? She feels lucky to not know anyone who dislike Shabbos, I don’t like Shabbos so she’d be unlucky to meet me
Of course I don’t openly complain about it, unless it’s to someone I confide in
Yes it is shalom bayis and mental health more than Shabbos, but the restrictions of Shabbos make it very hard to tolerate.

NechaMom

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 4:42 pm
I love Shabbos in the winter. Don't love the summer. Late Friday night meals, very long afternoons.

amother
Sunflower

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 4:46 pm
I love Shabbos so much. Every single week. I say Thank you Hashem for Shabbos.

Our lives are really manic and not have a million places to go to and a million things to do is a Brocha. We have lots of friends and family over for meals. We go to Shul. (There is an eiruv and great children’s services.) we have some quiet meals with just family that we love too.

It’s my favorite 25 hours of the week.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 4:50 pm
I really love Shabbos. It was always my favorite day in camp (the chocolate babka and sugar cereal didn't hurt either!). I tried to make it extra fun for my kids when they were little. Now that they are grown, I make sure to have lots of reading material, some baked goods for the morning, and something special to eat. We always dress up, even if not going to shul. I am grateful for the time away from work and a chance to catch up on sleep. It's great when a friend stops by or I see my neighbors. The pace is slower and the feeling of Shabbos is palpable. My favorite time of all is when our children are all home together and we are all hanging out. That being said, I understand that people with anxiety find it challenging and I am sympathetic. Saturday night is also one of my favorite times of the week (Once my kitchen is cleaned up.)

amother
Birch  

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 5:20 pm
I hated it growing up. My family was toxic and it was miserable. Used my phone on Shabbos to escape and was so sad about not being able to control myself.

I got married and although I do have shalom bayis issues (having a healthy marriage is so so hard when you haven’t seen one modeled) that make it miserable sometimes, most of the time I like it. Lots of reading for me. My kid entertains himself for the most part. We do very few, simple foods and my husband cooks more than me so it’s not a stress for me at all.

Store bought challah, a store bought dip or two, easy baked salmon, chicken soup from the freezer (make a big batch once every two months), and that’s it for Friday night! Shabbos day we have challah, dips, salmon and cholent.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 5:37 pm
I don't like Shabbos. I'm always hot, sweaty, and bored. The winter is much easier. I. The summer I just want to use my phone all the time.

amother
Chestnut

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 6:22 pm
Hated it as a child because I was bored and just felt so restricted! Love it now as an adult because my work life is so hectic and crazy so it's nice to have the break. My son (3) lovessss Shabbos BH and I'm grateful for that. It's probably bec DH and I always say how we can't wait for Shabbos. The long Shabbosim now are so hard though because I'm sooo bored after DH goes to shul for Mincha Shabbos day till the end....

amother
  Birch

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 6:58 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
Hated it as a child because I was bored and just felt so restricted! Love it now as an adult because my work life is so hectic and crazy so it's nice to have the break. My son (3) lovessss Shabbos BH and I'm grateful for that. It's probably bec DH and I always say how we can't wait for Shabbos. The long Shabbosim now are so hard though because I'm sooo bored after DH goes to shul for Mincha Shabbos day till the end....

Do you like reading? I don’t know how people do Shabbos without reading!

Cookin4days

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 7:30 pm
amother Oak wrote:
You really don’t understand why it’s insulting? She feels lucky to not know anyone who dislike Shabbos, I don’t like Shabbos so she’d be unlucky to meet me
Yes it is shalom bayis and mental health more than Shabbos, but the restrictions of Shabbos make it very hard to tolerate.

You’re making this way too personal. It’s a simple question.

Long summer shabbas is hard and I hate it especially with young kids but wintertime is great and nice to reconnect

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 2:44 pm
SunshineGirl wrote:
This feels weird to ask and I don’t mean it in any disrespect but do you like Shabbos? Why or why not?

I feel lucky to have not come across one person who “dislikes” Shabbos in my circle. Or maybe they do, but they haven’t spoken it out loud. Curious to know if there is anyone out there who doesn’t care for Shabbos but keeps it anyways.

I dont this those that dislikr shabbos are screaming it from the roof tops. Its not something most that feel that way will be discussing with others.
I dislike shabbos. I dont feel about shabbos how I did when I was growing up.
I dont go to shul, cant be bothered, I dont like the ling day with no electronics. I have no kids at home anymore. Its a very boring day.
And my relationship with hashem is not so great so I dont feel that connection either.
Id rather be on my computer or at the beach.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 6:22 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
I am a BT & hate Shabbos. Sure I loved it when I was a guest at other’s people’s houses.
But as an adult who is married 15++ yearsw/BH a bunch of kids I hate it.
I do it bc HaShem commanded us .
What do I hate ?
All of it .
The extra cooking. I would love to just make whatever in the mood for Shabbos day .
I hate cooking for both meals before hand
I hate type of food Shabbos day, ( can’t make fresh, can’t rewarm w/ liquid ) it’s all same same
If Shabbos was keeping only Friday night I would be a lot happier
I hate kids fighting or having to entertain the kids
Small or big kids , 25 hours of it stresses me out
And BH I have good relationship w/ my kids …. But I like them having structure .
I hate not being able to go anywhere & being able to just chill
Basically I just see it as more work
The only possible thing I like , is spending more time w/ my husband

My kids have structure on shabbes and we can go places on shabbes (given that we live in a central area of a European capital).

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 9:20 pm
I absolutely looove shabbos, wait eagerly all week for it, although the shabbos as a single mum without structure can sometimes feel not so nice.

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 9:43 pm
amother Oak wrote:

Your being too sensitive, op didn't say anything wrong

amother
Thistle

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 9:59 pm
I don’t enjoy it and that bothers me a lot. I really want to enjoy it.

BH good shalom bayis, but it’s so much work and such a long day. I often feel on edge. I live in a very hot climate so it’s not so simple to just go out and visit friends or neighbors. I feel hot and sweaty and busy all day running after my kids. My kids don’t want to play outside because of the heat, and we live in a small home so not much space to play. Add to that setting and clearing and serving and constant cleaning up otherwise my house is a flying wreck. Hosting makes it more enjoyable but even more work, and I’m currently preg so not really up for the added effort right now. In the winter it’s definitely better, because the weather is nice and we can go outside comfortably, plus shabbos ends significantly earlier.

amother
Peony

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 10:17 pm
I don't like Shabbos. The pressure to get home in time on Fridays was very difficult. Not having any time when I got home to get ready for Shabbos. And I don't like long Shabbos, even with going to Shul or visting someone in the afternoon.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note