Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Every summer I don't have enough towels

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 1:43 pm
Hi, Im married over 10 years with a family and I never bought any towel. I feel im missing some towels some also have small stains. My grandmother has all her towels since marriage more than 50 years ago lately I feel like I never have enough. But I have so many. I have so many. How many hand towels and dish towel do I need? How do I judge how many? How often have you replaced towels? Did you replace slowly or all at once? I try changing hand towels once a day but lately kids are washing hands along more in the summer

How many bath towels and beach towels? Kids bath sometimes twice a day?

zigi

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 1:57 pm
I use stained or ugly towels for day camp. How often do you wash towels? How fast do you run out of a certain towel?

amother
DarkViolet

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 2:01 pm
I’d love to know which brand of towels lasts 50 years, let alone 10. I buy new towels all the time.

SuperWify  

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 2:01 pm
Day camp kids get terry zip robes, I don’t do beach towels
For the shower kids also have their own robes which get washed once a week

I replace my bath towels every 5-10 years, I can’t believe your grandmother never did…. I have a special set for guests and 6 others for me and dh

Kitchen towels get replaced every 3-5 years when they start to stain or shred. 3 each color (red blue and yellow) for dish and 4 hand.

SuperWify  

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 2:02 pm
amother DarkViolet wrote:
I’d love to know which brand of towels lasts 50 years, let alone 10. I buy new towels all the time.

This is my question.

amother
Maple

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 2:05 pm
I buy the cheap beach towels all stores sell right before the summer. My kids use those for camp. Some prefer it for after the bath too. I’m married 14 years and all my towels I got as a newlywed are long shredded and stained. I don’t think towels last so long.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 2:10 pm
Do you mean you need more towels available each summer, because you run out quantity wise? Or you need more towels each summer because they're worn out/unusable?

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Jul 05 2024, 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Brass

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 2:21 pm
I'm married 9 years and have not had to replace bath or pool towels yet, but I have needed to buy a lot more over the years.
Hand towels I get new every few years as I see they look bad.
I wash towels 1x per week and make sure my kids hang dry their pool towels because I don't have enough for every day of the week for each kid.

amother
Alyssum

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 5:38 pm

None. My guess is Bubby got a warehouseful as wedding gifts and either didn't use most of them because they were "too good to use" or they're all completely threadbare.

My grandma-in-law had a mountain of fancy tablecloths with napkins that she got as wedding gifts and never used. They were all card-table size, which was useless for us, and they had been sitting folded on a shelf for so long that the fabric was discolored all along the folded edges. The local thrift shop got a windfall. Moral of the story, use your stuff, don't save it for "someday "

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 5:40 pm
I sent our kids to camp with our oldest, thinnest towels. If they got lost or ruined, no big deal. (The towels, not the kids.)

kenz  

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 5:44 pm
SuperWify wrote:
This is my question.

Where do you find terry zip-up robes for boys these days?

amother
Pistachio

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 5:50 pm
I'm married close to 9 years and have not yet had the need to buy new towels. My towels are in great condition. Or maybe I just don't care that they'd faded...

amother
Bellflower

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 5:52 pm
DH and I have been using the same two bath towels since we got married 19 years ago. I wash them once a week. They're just starting to fray and I can't imagine getting rid of them because they're the best towels. And I can't remember where I bought them Sad
I bought pool/beach towels from Walmart for $5 each about 6 years ago and they're in perfect condition. I have about 8 of them and we use those all the time.
Excellent towels can last for many years and they don't need to be expensive

kenz  

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 6:25 pm
I think I replace them after around the 10 years; when they’re definitely still usable but they look and feel old. I feel like 10 years is a good investment of my $ and there’s nothing like a thick, soft towel after a shower or bath. Also I like extra wide bath sheets and they’re hard to find, so if I see one for a reasonable price I’ll get it.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 6:34 pm
kenz wrote:

I bought one for my son last year from Sage in Lakewood.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 7:03 pm

They don't make them anymore!! LOL
Company went out of business because nobody was buying towels!!!

kenz  

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 4:49 am
amother Seafoam wrote:
They don't make them anymore!! LOL
Company went out of business because nobody was buying towels!!!

Lol

kenz

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 4:49 am
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
I bought one for my son last year from Sage in Lakewood.

Thanks

SuperWify

Post Sun, Jul 07 2024, 6:12 am
kenz wrote:

Found online on a random site. Also use pullovers with a hood and side snaps from Amazon.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jul 08 2024, 6:52 am
HomeGoods, TJMaxx, and Target all have good towels at reasonable prices. I think having at least 3 per person is a good number so that you have one in use and two to wash. I find that only guests use hand/face towels. I have about 4 sets of those to match bath towels. We don't use washcloths, although my mother did. It comes down to personal preference. I rarely use dishtowels, instead use paper towels. (But do feel guilty, recognizing that cloth is better for the environment and more economical) I also have a stack of beach towels received as gifts and some purchased at CVS. They are surprisingly durable. My kids always used those for camp. My mil is still using her in laws towels from well over 50 years ago and she makes them look surprisingly good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics