Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you like Shabbos?
1  2  Next

SunshineGirl

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 11:40 am
This feels weird to ask and I don’t mean it in any disrespect but do you like Shabbos? Why or why not?

I feel lucky to have not come across one person who “dislikes” Shabbos in my circle. Or maybe they do, but they haven’t spoken it out loud. Curious to know if there is anyone out there who doesn’t care for Shabbos but keeps it anyways.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 11:42 am
I love Shabbos BH!
Whether we like it or not, we are obligated to keep it!
Try to make it fun!

Lucky Princess

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 11:46 am
Love it. Wait all week long. My kids do too.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 11:48 am
Honestly? This has been posted before. Shabbos is the same for me as the rest of the week. The only difference is my kids don't go crazy from technology or fight over getting a turn. We eat meals as a family which is nice. I serve, clean up, try to meet my kids needs. As a child I liked shabbos a lot because I didn't like school.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 11:50 am
I love shabbos I wait all week for it. But I live in a place that makes it much easier to enjoy it. I could so easily struggle if I lived somewhere else.

GoldenOra

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 11:51 am
Love Shabbos!! The air is different! The house smells different! I feel different! It’s a complete switch and I feel the kedusha in the air. It’s the best day ever.
TYH for Shabbos!

amother
Mint  

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 12:17 pm
I love shabbos in essence. I struggle now because I live in a high floor without an elevator. I don’t have a porch or windows that see the street.
The apartment is small and I feel claustrophobic and lonely all day.
I wish I could love shabbos again. I’m trying to move…

amother
Fern

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 12:24 pm
I love shabbos, and look forward to it.

However, it does get difficult, especially these long shabbosim in the summer, trying to keep 2 little kids happy and busy.

I try to have guests often so it’s not as boring and unstimulating as it would be if it was just me DH and the kids.

meyerlemon44

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 12:26 pm
I love Shabbos but the long summer Shabbosim can be hard, especially if it’s too hot to spend much time outside.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 12:28 pm
With kids, its a very hard day. DH spends a lot of time in shul and learning and even if he gives me a break to take a nap it is hours and hours of entertaining bored kids.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 12:29 pm
Right now I do, but there were times in my life when I didn't ( mostly due to being lonely because I didn't have friends or due to marriage issues)

amother
Seablue

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 12:29 pm
amother Lemonlime wrote:
Honestly? This has been posted before. Shabbos is the same for me as the rest of the week. The only difference is my kids don't go crazy from technology or fight over getting a turn. We eat meals as a family which is nice. I serve, clean up, try to meet my kids needs. As a child I liked shabbos a lot because I didn't like school.

This is enough for me to love Shabbos 1000 times more than any other day.

Additionally, I love the rest, not going anywhere, not cooking, and having my mom and sister visit.

But if it were just for no technology alone, I would still love Shabbos.

Additionally, I love Shabbos in the fall/winter better than summer/spring. I don't like the LONG shabbos afternoons with nothing to do. But a medium Shabbos afternoon with nothing to do? Delightful!

amother
Crystal  

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 12:52 pm
I am a BT & hate Shabbos. Sure I loved it when I was a guest at other’s people’s houses.
But as an adult who is married 15++ yearsw/BH a bunch of kids I hate it.
I do it bc HaShem commanded us .
What do I hate ?
All of it .
The extra cooking. I would love to just make whatever in the mood for Shabbos day .
I hate cooking for both meals before hand
I hate type of food Shabbos day, ( can’t make fresh, can’t rewarm w/ liquid ) it’s all same same
If Shabbos was keeping only Friday night I would be a lot happier
I hate kids fighting or having to entertain the kids
Small or big kids , 25 hours of it stresses me out
And BH I have good relationship w/ my kids …. But I like them having structure .
I hate not being able to go anywhere & being able to just chill
Basically I just see it as more work
The only possible thing I like , is spending more time w/ my husband

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 12:56 pm
Ye im soooooooooo bored

amother
  Mint  

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 12:59 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
I am a BT & hate Shabbos. Sure I loved it when I was a guest at other’s people’s houses.
But as an adult who is married 15++ yearsw/BH a bunch of kids I hate it.
I do it bc HaShem commanded us .
What do I hate ?
All of it .
The extra cooking. I would love to just make whatever in the mood for Shabbos day .
I hate cooking for both meals before hand
I hate type of food Shabbos day, ( can’t make fresh, can’t rewarm w/ liquid ) it’s all same same
If Shabbos was keeping only Friday night I would be a lot happier
I hate kids fighting or having to entertain the kids
Small or big kids , 25 hours of it stresses me out
And BH I have good relationship w/ my kids …. But I like them having structure .
I hate not being able to go anywhere & being able to just chill
Basically I just see it as more work
The only possible thing I like , is spending more time w/ my husband

For food-
Can you buy some things and make some things?
You can make whatever you like btw. WHo said not?
Are there ways to add structure to shabbos? Like taking a walk, game time, rest time, snack time etc?
Can you use disposable dishes so it's less work and more fun for you?
It's a mitzva for us to FIND ways to enjoy shabbos....

amother
  Crystal

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 1:16 pm
amother Mint wrote:
For food-
Can you buy some things and make some things?
You can make whatever you like btw. WHo said not?
Are there ways to add structure to shabbos? Like taking a walk, game time, rest time, snack time etc?
Can you use disposable dishes so it's less work and more fun for you?
It's a mitzva for us to FIND ways to enjoy shabbos....

Ty but it won’t do.
Where I live there is limited amount of what can be bought ready made .
And I don’t love food reheated on hot plate & not fan of cholent
And it’s all just work & not enjoyment
I can possibly see how when we are older & kids are out of the house & it’s just me & my husband it can be enjoyable
Who knows?
We shall see

amother
Oak  

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 1:21 pm
It’s kind of insulting you feel lucky not to have come across one person who dislikes Shabbos.
I dislike Shabbos and it’s not because I’m a bitter or bad person, my mental health and shalom bayis is not great and Shabbos makes it worse.

amother
  Mint  

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 1:26 pm
amother Oak wrote:
It’s kind of insulting you feel lucky not to have come across one person who dislikes Shabbos.
I dislike Shabbos and it’s not because I’m a bitter or bad person, my mental health and shalom bayis is not great and Shabbos makes it worse.

Why is it insulting? I'm happy she feels that way! shabbos is meant to be beautiful. I struggle with it too, but that's my issue- like you said- shalom bayis etc.
But why would I want other people to not like shabbos?
Shabbos is the core of judiasm and actually, despite me really struggling every week starting Thursday, I still don't think we should openly complain about it because it's Mekor habracha. So even when I have a problem the way I choose to keep it is just to not "insult" it.

amother
  Mint

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 1:26 pm
amother Mint wrote:
Why is it insulting? I'm happy she feels that way! shabbos is meant to be beautiful. I struggle with it too, but that's my issue- like you said- shalom bayis etc.
But why would I want other people to not like shabbos?
Shabbos is the core of judiasm and actually, despite me really struggling every week starting Thursday, I still don't think we should openly complain about it because it's Mekor habracha. So even when I have a problem the way I choose to keep it is just to not "insult" it.

(anyway I think the issue might be shalom bayis or mental health more than it is shabbos)

ftm1234

Post Fri, Jul 05 2024, 1:36 pm
I used to really not enjoy Shabbos.

Now, if I have good company I love it
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note