Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Plant/non dairy milk in cake recipe + bundt pan question

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:18 am
could I use water?

its a basic choc cake with a 1/4 boiling water and 1 cup non dairy or dairy milk.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:19 am
also, can I bake it in a 9x13 rectangle pan instead of a 10 cup bundt pan?

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:50 am
Use orange juice

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 10:55 am
Is it a chocolate cake? If so some like adding coffee (like a regular brewed cup) to add some depth to the chocolate flavor. I'm not an expert but I'd certainly switch pan sizes & usually do. Just will after baking time, not just size, but baking utensil material, non-disposable metal vs a disposable tin which doesn't hold as much heat.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 11:00 am
Orange juice is good. The acid works well with the cocoa. You’ll find a lot of recipes for chocolate cake made with sour cream, usually in non-kosher cookbooks that don’t care that it’s not pareve.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 11:18 am
amother Darkblue wrote:
Is it a chocolate cake? If so some like adding coffee (like a regular brewed cup) to add some depth to the chocolate flavor. I'm not an expert but I'd certainly switch pan sizes & usually do. Just will after baking time, not just size, but baking utensil material, non-disposable metal vs a disposable tin which doesn't hold as much heat.

using a disposable tin.
do you bake longer or shorter in a disposable, as you say doesnt hold as much heat?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 11:20 am
amother Scarlet wrote:
Orange juice is good. The acid works well with the cocoa. You’ll find a lot of recipes for chocolate cake made with sour cream, usually in non-kosher cookbooks that don’t care that it’s not pareve.

but there are many recipes that dont use orange juice or dairy in choc cakes.
so will plain water be ok?

I really dont want to use juice.

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 12:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
could I use water?

its a basic choc cake with a 1/4 boiling water and 1 cup non dairy or dairy milk.

If it's the Hershey's perfect chocolate cake recipe, then I would use one cup of cold water and one cup of hot coffee. I make it in a 9 x 13 disposable pan. To be perfectly honest, I've been told to use a cup of orange juice, but I'm afraid that the cake will have a tangy flavor.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 12:43 pm
amother Banana wrote:
If it's the Hershey's perfect chocolate cake recipe, then I would use one cup of cold water and one cup of hot coffee. I make it in a 9 x 13 disposable pan. To be perfectly honest, I've been told to use a cup of orange juice, but I'm afraid that the cake will have a tangy flavor.

2 ½ cups (300 g) All-Purpose Flour
1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
⅔ cup (50g) cocoa powder
1 tablespoon espresso powder, optional
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
3 large eggs
1 cup dairy-free milk, such as rice or oat milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
½ cup boiling water
Powdered sugar, to serve (optional)

zaq

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 1:32 pm
Short answer: yes.
Long answer: yes, but flavor may be a little less rich. Of course if you never made the recipe as given, you wouldn't know the difference.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 1:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
but there are many recipes that dont use orange juice or dairy in choc cakes.
so will plain water be ok?

I really dont want to use juice.

You won’t taste the juice. The cake won’t have any orangey, fruity or tangy flavor. I’ll still say try it but you do what you like.
I just saw your recipe. There’s an entire cup of oil in there. That’s one rich heavy cake. You can use water.
Most olive oils are heavy and add a strange taste to a cake. Maybe orange juice will help cancel out the olive oil taste or maybe use a different oil.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 3:17 pm
water is a shaylah of hamotzie
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics