Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What to prepare to sleepaway camp for DD11 (period/puberty)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 1:08 pm
My eldest daughter is almost 11 and going to camp for a month this summer. She has started puberty but hasn't yet started having periods, but at her checkup the doctor said it could happen any time.

She knows what to expect and she's generally quite knowledgable and comfortable with the topic, but is also nervous about if and when she'll get her period. So I want to do everything I can to make sure she feels totally prepared and confident.

For more context, she's the oldest in her grade (going into 5th) and I guess she's developing a bit on the earlier side, so she feels anxious about being on of the first girls among her peers to be developing and she feels embarrassed about the fact that she needs to shave under her arms, wear a bras, etc. when many of her friends don't.

I plan to talk to the camp mother too, of course.

Do any imas have advice? Should I send her everything-- packs of pads, period underwear, period bathing suit--just in case? Put everything in a special bag? Anything I'm not thinking of?

I'm also nervous for this because I don't want her to have to deal with a potential huge change during camp alone (and I hope it won't happen for awhile longer). Any chizzuk about daughters who have started their period while away and everything went well?

(I happen to have been intensely ashamed and embarrassed when I was going through puberty/first period myself and am still recovering from that, so it's not an easy topic for me!)

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 1:10 pm
Show her what to do. It's not that hard. What does the camp have In place for girls who can't swim that day?
Send her with some painkiller to take when she feels the first cramp .

theoneandonly

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 1:53 pm
I remember having a conversation with my mother before going to camp at that age where she walked me through these are pads, these are how to use them, here are a few different sizes/thicknesses I'm going to pack for you so you'll see what you like, etc. Just talk to her and show her what to do, she'll be fine.

(I didn't even get my period until a few years after that but I was prepared in case it happened in camp).

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 2:00 pm
Id recommend letting her know who in camp she can speak to if she needs more help
Hopefully they have a nurse

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 2:02 pm
Seems like you prepared her well. I remember when I went to camp I refused to take along pads because I was embarrassed. I got my period for the first time in camp and it was a disaster. I’d recommend you send along everything and have her keep it in a hidden place for when she needs. Also as a poster above said, send along Tylenol/advil for the cramps.

amother
Moonstone

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 2:20 pm
I had my first period in camp I definitely was not prepared
I remember it's 39 years ago it was shabbos morning
Everyone was asleep
Bh I woke my sister up who then woke up the head counselor who gave me pads
I sent my girls from 10 years old always anywhere they go with spare underwear and pads and medication
It's great you are preparing her just incase send pads period underwear medication keep in discreet bag don't worry she will be fine as u have prepared her

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 2:26 pm
Put the pads (and instruction leaflet) in a ziplock bag so it's easy to keep out of the way. Make sure shehasa variety.

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 3:11 pm
I worked in a camp for many years and it happened several times that campers got their first period in camp.

OP, you sound like you prepared her well! As others said, make sure she has a (not see through) pouch with different types of pads, and send her along with plenty of underwear. Also, an additional sheet is helpful - I've found that younger girls can sometimes stain their sheets when on their period.

Girls shouldn't have meds in their bunkhouses - it isn't safe or legal. Tell her to go to the camp nurse or camp mom if she feels crampy and they'll give her Tylenol, Motrin, or Midol.

When girls got their period for the first time, I wished them mazel tov on the milestone, and that their body is doing what a healthy body should do. Then I asked them if they needed anything - pads, painkillers, or help getting an additional laundry slot for stained clothing, etc, and offered them a phone to call home to share the news with Mom. Sometimes girls hesitated to ask me for things, so the mother would tell me what the kid needed and I left it for her in a bag.

I always remind the girls that since they're in a girls camp for a month, most of the people in camp will get their period at some point, and they shouldn't worry or feel embarrassed!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics