Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Groceries Budget
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 6:38 pm
amother Currant wrote:
Is this a pretty typical week? If your weekly spending was similar most weeks, or even double, you'd be well within your budget. So where are the extra expenses coming in?

It is typical for that week in the cycle of the month. Some times I don't need milk or I have to get crackers or coffee. I can't seem to figure out why I am spending so much. We do a CO op where we order chicken for very cheap $60 for a 2lbs of chicken bottoms and that's what we eat on shabbos. Obviously Yom tov and especially pesach we are spending a lot more.

amother
Currant

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 6:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
It is typical for that week in the cycle of the month. Some times I don't need milk or I have to get crackers or coffee. I can't seem to figure out why I am spending so much. We do a CO op where we order chicken for very cheap $60 for a 2lbs of chicken bottoms and that's what we eat on shabbos. Obviously Yom tov and especially pesach we are spending a lot more.

Track all your grocery purchases for the whole month to see where you're spending. It doesn't sound like coffee or crackers or chicken is the culprit.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 6:42 pm
I find that for some reason produce is very expensive in Jewish stores
If trying to be cheaper switch where you buy your produce

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 12:51 am
amother OP wrote:
Can I (or how can I) keep my groceries Budget monthly down to $1850 per month for a family of 2 parents and 2 kids 5 and under?

We do keep chalav
yisroel and pas yisroel but happen to have issues with gluten and dairy in the family so I keep dairy and baked goods purchases to a minimum already.

Any recommendations of suppers, shopping lists, tricks or tips to make this a reality?

I spend about 2k in groceries a month.
I have a bunch of teens, a bunch of elementary age kids and a toddler B"H Smile
during the school year they mostly get lunch at school/yeshiva...and no one takes breakfast either...
so during the week it's mainly suppers/snacks/post dinner food for the teens Smile
I buy broccoli, frozen pizza, frozen knishes, tons of snack bags, etc. etc
and of course food for Shabbos B'H!

basmelech2

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:42 am
Your budget sounds reasonable, we’re at $2000-2500 for 2 adults, 4 kids 7 and down, depending on how much we host, chagim, etc.
We host a lot, we don’t buy ready snacks, ready dips, etc
We buy all fruits and vegetables as well as salmon in aldi, I stock up on meats and chicken in bingo every other month+
We make our own sourdough for shabbos.

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 10:49 am
amother OP wrote:

What???!

I spend $3 per pound on chicken bottoms

amother
Snapdragon

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 11:07 am
amother Scarlet wrote:
We have a grocery budget of 2000$ a month for our family of 7, 4 adult sized eaters, 3 child sized eaters.

We eat lots and lots of protein - Chicken, fish, meat, milk, cheese, eggs. Still able to keep to the budget.

What does a typical week's shopping look like? What are you buying?

You should be able to keep to a $1850 budget.

I would love to see your receipts.

I spend that with a family of 4.
Between chicken meat fish and veggies.
Costco aldi bingo and target.

We dont buy ready made food at all. Everything is homemeade but we eat lots of veggies and proteins and were only 4 ppl

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 11:53 am
amother Daylily wrote:
What???!

I spend $3 per pound on chicken bottoms

I’m assuming she meant 20 lbs.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics