Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Publishing a Children's Book

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 3:20 pm
For those of you that have published a book:

Is it possible to reach out to a number of publishers at once, or do I need to wait for an answer before proceeding to a second publisher?

(Also, I have read on Ima about losing your rights to an article when submitting it to a magazine, even if it doesn't get published. Is there any such concern I should be aware of with regard to books?

Thank you so much

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 5:11 pm
I'm a failed author so far, so don't take this too seriously, but I went ahead and got ISBN numbers to my books on IngramSpark. One day I plan to publish it on Amazon, when I have time to do so.

My main concern was having my substack plagiarized, and I think this gives me a stronger position.

The chances of a publisher publishing any book are near 0

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 6:34 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I'm a failed author so far, so don't take this too seriously, but I went ahead and got ISBN numbers to my books on IngramSpark. One day I plan to publish it on Amazon, when I have time to do so.

My main concern was having my substack plagiarized, and I think this gives me a stronger position.

The chances of a publisher publishing any book are near 0

Thanks for weighing in. I appreciate your input! Good luck!

Adding this is a children’s book. Any info from published authors appreciated!

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 6:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for weighing in. I appreciate your input! Good luck!

Adding this is a children’s book. Any info from published authors appreciated!

I don't think it's true that you lose your right to the article if you submit it and they don't publish it. I don't know who told you that, but it isn't true.
I have had many articles published, and some were rejected by one magazine, and subsequently accepted by another. You cannot send the same piece to two publishers at once. It's not fair to the person who is taking the time to evaluate it.
As far as books go, I assume it's the same. I would reach out to the publisher of your choice and ask questions before sending them your manuscript.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 8:00 pm
I’ve published a few novels, not a children’s book but I imagine the process is the same. (I am assuming you are referring to Frum publishers.)
You should start with a synopsis/cover letter if you’re worried about plagiarism. Only send the full book once they’ve expressed interest.
You can definitely send to multiple publishers, I have done that and went with whomever made me the better offer. Everyone I dealt with was mentchlich and understanding.
However once you sign a contract they might also include that they get first dibs on your future writing in which case you can’t send your next book out to another publisher unless the original publisher rejects it. So look out for that.
Hatzlacha! Happy to answer any other questions.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 8:59 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
I’ve published a few novels, not a children’s book but I imagine the process is the same. (I am assuming you are referring to Frum publishers.)
You should start with a synopsis/cover letter if you’re worried about plagiarism. Only send the full book once they’ve expressed interest.
You can definitely send to multiple publishers, I have done that and went with whomever made me the better offer. Everyone I dealt with was mentchlich and understanding.
However once you sign a contract they might also include that they get first dibs on your future writing in which case you can’t send your next book out to another publisher unless the original publisher rejects it. So look out for that.
Hatzlacha! Happy to answer any other questions.

Thanks so much! This was so helpful! And yes, I'm referring to frum publishers.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 9:03 pm
amother Purple wrote:
I don't think it's true that you lose your right to the article if you submit it and they don't publish it. I don't know who told you that, but it isn't true.
I have had many articles published, and some were rejected by one magazine, and subsequently accepted by another. You cannot send the same piece to two publishers at once. It's not fair to the person who is taking the time to evaluate it.
As far as books go, I assume it's the same. I would reach out to the publisher of your choice and ask questions before sending them your manuscript.

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club