Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
It’s complicated…

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 9:06 am
My daughter is IYH going to seminary in September. She is dealing with a lot of anxiety ( she is seeing a therapist and will see a therapist in israel as well).
I do not want to overwhelm her with all the questions that are dancing around in my head about packing.
I myself did not have the opportunity to go to seminary so I don’t really have the answers to these questions .
Can someone help me - give me a basic packing list , including things you thought of on your own that were not on the packing list?
What about linens, toiletries etc?

TIA,
An anxious mom

amother
Amaranthus

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 9:10 am
I've never sent a daughter to seminary so I'll let other mom's chime in about that.
When you do get hold of a packing guide, do your best to follow it but please don't be anxious. Remember anything you might forget to include can probably be easily acquired in Israel. Just reassure yourself and your daughter that it's only stuff.

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 9:35 am
My seminary sent a packing list and I think between carpools may also have one

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 9:38 am
Here’s the between carpools list - https://betweencarpools.com/wh.....nary/

My notes based on what I remember - she should get sturdy Shabbos shoes because they walk to meals a lot, and a small suitcase with wheels for when she goes away for Shabbos or Yom tov. Having to lug around a heavy bag on buses is hard.

momX4  

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 1:32 pm
Don't shlep linen, blankets pillows, towels. It's not worth paying for another suitcase for these items

Buy from blanket express.

Does dd need to wear a uniform? If yes she will need less regular clothes.

momX4

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 1:33 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
Here’s the between carpools list - https://betweencarpools.com/wh.....nary/

My notes based on what I remember - she should get sturdy Shabbos shoes because they walk to meals a lot, and a small suitcase with wheels for when she goes away for Shabbos or Yom tov. Having to lug around a heavy bag on buses is hard.

The small suitcase is hand luggage size.

Crookshanks  

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 4:25 pm
You can send her with some aromatherapy lotion, some fidgets, a journal, a soft blanket.

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 4:26 pm
They sell hoodies that slightly weighted. She can wear it on the plane as an alternative to bringing a weighted blanket in her luggage.

cube

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 4:44 pm
as someone who went to a BY sem in israel and now lives here 5+ years -
I read through the between carpools link, it is very good and thorough. here are some notes -
Its good to have a lot of basics as seminaries have limited washing machines and the less often you have to do laundry the better.
hangers and shampoo can be bought here
bring american tylenol/advil/neosporin/bandaids if you use those often
I think you can get away with less shabbos clothes than they wrote
and definitely bring good quality shoes
and also remember that there are so many ppl living in EY who never bought anything in america and they manage just fine Smile thats what I tell myself in target before we come back after yomtov
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info