Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Brainstorming: ideas to help people in crisis
1  2  Next

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:50 pm
We're not able to solve all the world's problems on a forum post. But maybe if we try, we can still accomplish something.

On this thread, I would like for people to be able to share ideas for resources that could be helpful to people in crisis. The ideas don't have to be fully formed or viable. We can build on each others' ideas. (Remember, people invented hundreds of wrong ways to fly before the airplane was invented.)

I'll go first: I think it could be helpful if there were some kind of emergency service that dispatches people who can take over childcare and other responsibilities on a moment's notice, similar to the way Hatzalah sends EMTs. However, I can't think of a way to do this in a way that's safe and respectful for everyone involved.

Goldie613

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 10:31 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
We're not able to solve all the world's problems on a forum post. But maybe if we try, we can still accomplish something.

On this thread, I would like for people to be able to share ideas for resources that could be helpful to people in crisis. The ideas don't have to be fully formed or viable. We can build on each others' ideas. (Remember, people invented hundreds of wrong ways to fly before the airplane was invented.)

I'll go first: I think it could be helpful if there were some kind of emergency service that dispatches people who can take over childcare and other responsibilities on a moment's notice, similar to the way Hatzalah sends EMTs. However, I can't think of a way to do this in a way that's safe and respectful for everyone involved.

Interesting idea - and very useful!

To make it safe - background check/fingerprint/etc - whatever is the rule for licensed caregivers in that state.

To make it practical - It could be handled as a side part of an existing chesed organization or even be accessible through multiple ones...for example, let's say someone has a medical emergency and calls hatzalah. Hatzalah may be ready to take the patient to the hospital, but if the patient is a mom with little kids (and no one can get there quickly to watch the kids), hatzalah could then call this organization and have them send someone right away. If most of the calls are coming through existing organizations (hatzalah, shomrim, bikkur cholims, etc) there is much less chance that someone will use this service just because their sitter cancelled on them and they can't find a new one.

Not sure what you mean by respectful - can you explain?

BTW, I love planning out the logistics of stuff - feel free to keep tossing ideas out and I'll try to help you figure out how to make them work!

Peersupport

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 10:41 pm
A 24 hour Jewish crisis texting line.

I volunteer for the National Crisis text line, but we can only refer specific public resources.
It would be nice if Frum people could have something like that.

I was once counseling someone that was Jewish but I couldn't give a simple resource like OK clarity/ Relief etc.

Peersupport

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 10:44 pm
Make peer support more of a popular option in NY.

The training is free through the NYS, but not enough Frum clinics provide the service.

It's helpful for people that need motivation to get out of the house more, and extra support to reach out to when struggling.

Peersupport

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 10:46 pm
Mental health support groups for men who struggle or have family members who struggle.

They should have somewhere they can reach out to request meals and other technical support if their wife is struggling.

Peersupport

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 10:47 pm
Creating a social media campaign with as many people possible sharing the kind of mental health struggle they have, to end the stigma.

Peersupport

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 10:48 pm
Set up an organization that funds therapy for those that can't afford it.

Peersupport

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 10:48 pm
The list is endless šŸ˜€

There is so much more we can do.

Peersupport

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 10:50 pm
Do classes about mental health at school, so kids feel safe getting help early, and have a mentor to reach out to if they are struggling later in life.

Peersupport

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 10:52 pm
Create a hotline with talks from therapists, rabbanim, people who are struggling, and a Q&A option.

Hotlines are really popular for Chassidish and yeshicish people who don't have internet at home.

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 11:46 pm
Peersupport wrote:
Create a hotline with talks from therapists, rabbanim, people who are struggling, and a Q&A option.

Hotlines are really popular for Chassidish and yeshicish people who don't have internet at home.

Chazkeinu has this in place already.

Check one thing off your list Wink

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 11:49 pm
Peersupport wrote:

Mordechai Weinbergerā€™s hotline is great. (718) 298-2011

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 11:49 pm
Emergency hotline where 2 volunteers can be dispatched to stay with someone in distress until family or other support can take over

Would need to have lots of safety policies in place

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 11:50 pm
Was literally just telling my husband about my idea today. We are trying to get him in with a new psychiatrist & amudim gave us a few names, of course I came on here to look them up & barely found anything
There should be a public database (kinda like WebMD but for frum ppl) with a list of psychiatrists where people can rate them & write up reviews. (Especially when you don't have time to wait & hear back from relief)

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Jul 01 2024, 11:52 pm
Peersupport wrote:
Mental health support groups for men who struggle or have family members who struggle.

They should have somewhere they can reach out to request meals and other technical support if their wife is struggling.

Many local Bikkur Cholims will provide meals for families struggling with illness, mental or otherwise.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 12:37 am
chanatron1000 wrote:

A similar idea Iā€™m dreaming about, but no idea how this can practically happen.
-Have a warm bubby type available to ā€œbabysitā€ kids when parent have to go away for medical reasons.
My dream is to have vetted houses where kids can go after school if mom is in the hospital or appts and you donā€™t have family nearby to help and thereā€™s only so much you can ā€œuseā€ neighbors. Dad is either in hospital/appt with mom/sick child or heā€™s trying to bring in parnassah and there are couple of hours from when kids come home from school till he can come fetch them. Kids go home already having eaten dinner and depending on age and if parents ok with it- bathed and ready for bed.

Another scenario is if parents need to go out of state for medical treatment and you need a place for kids to stay for couple of days/week/s or so. Again, no nearby family or medical crisis is ongoing and family/neighbors canā€™t step in then for whatever reason or parents just feel like theyā€™re ā€œuisgenitztā€. Have a safe reliable option, without making a gazillion phone calls and putting aside every piece of dignity left, to call random classmates or neighborhood ppl to host your kid/s because once again you landed in the hospital with no where to leave kidsā€¦

-speaking as someone who goes out of state on her own with a patient to surgeries, treatments etc (and now shleps along a baby too) so daddy can stay home and take care of other kids. Thereā€™s still a big gap though from when they return from school till daddy can come home with takeout to feed very hungry kidsā€¦

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 12:41 am
Exersize/dance classes for specific groups of women who are struggling with similar things.

amother
Candycane

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 1:23 am
Can you explain more about peer support and how to go about it?
(I donā€™t live in NY)

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 1:38 am
Support for bochurim age 15+ with a family crisis. There's so much for kids, parents, girls but somehow the older boys have fallen through the cracks.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jul 02 2024, 1:40 am
amother White wrote:
A similar idea Iā€™m dreaming about, but no idea how this can practically happen.
-Have a warm bubby type available to ā€œbabysitā€ kids when parent have to go away for medical reasons.
My dream is to have vetted houses where kids can go after school if mom is in the hospital or appts and you donā€™t have family nearby to help and thereā€™s only so much you can ā€œuseā€ neighbors. Dad is either in hospital/appt with mom/sick child or heā€™s trying to bring in parnassah and there are couple of hours from when kids come home from school till he can come fetch them. Kids go home already having eaten dinner and depending on age and if parents ok with it- bathed and ready for bed.

Another scenario is if parents need to go out of state for medical treatment and you need a place for kids to stay for couple of days/week/s or so. Again, no nearby family or medical crisis is ongoing and family/neighbors canā€™t step in then for whatever reason or parents just feel like theyā€™re ā€œuisgenitztā€. Have a safe reliable option, without making a gazillion phone calls and putting aside every piece of dignity left, to call random classmates or neighborhood ppl to host your kid/s because once again you landed in the hospital with no where to leave kidsā€¦

-speaking as someone who goes out of state on her own with a patient to surgeries, treatments etc (and now shleps along a baby too) so daddy can stay home and take care of other kids. Thereā€™s still a big gap though from when they return from school till daddy can come home with takeout to feed very hungry kidsā€¦

In Yerushalayim Zichron Menachem have this program in place. You could use it as a model. They have a center for siblings/kids where parents are sick. They pick the kids up from school, take them to the center, do homework, activities, therapy, give them supper and drop them off at home at 7:30.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational