Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
S/o: Seminary is NOT a luxury!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Jun 29 2024, 9:11 pm
When I went to seminary, I did not buy a new wardrobe beforehand (I was warned that as I didn't know how the Israeli machines worked I'd likely ruin a lot of clothing, which did happen). I did go home for Pesach, but that was because I got bumped from my first flight and earned myself a free ticket. My parents did not come visit me. I got minimal spending money (enough to cover bus fare for the places I went for Shabbos and an occasional bag of bissli, not enough for eating out or shopping).

Maybe some posters here have their perspectives colored by some spoiled American girls spending their year (and their parents' money) in restaurants all year under the name "seminary," but that is very far from my own experience, and what I'd be providing for my own daughters.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Jun 29 2024, 9:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
When I went to seminary, I did not buy a new wardrobe beforehand (I was warned that as I didn't know how the Israeli machines worked I'd likely ruin a lot of clothing, which did happen). I did go home for Pesach, but that was because I got bumped from my first flight and earned myself a free ticket. My parents did not come visit me. I got minimal spending money (enough to cover bus fare for the places I went for Shabbos and an occasional bag of bissli, not enough for eating out or shopping).

Maybe some posters here have their perspectives colored by some spoiled American girls spending their year (and their parents' money) in restaurants all year under the name "seminary," but that is very far from my own experience, and what I'd be providing for my own daughters.

Times have changed.
What will your daughters do, be the only ones not doing what all their friends are doing?

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Jun 29 2024, 9:18 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:
Times have changed.
What will your daughters do, be the only ones not doing what all their friends are doing?

Yes.

I have had to send a few kids to overnight camp. I do not send them with beach chairs, plastic drawers, tubs of nosh, specific brands of shoes, or any of the other "musts" I see here all the time. They get money ($25) to buy nosh in canteen.

Maybe this is because I chose a camp with lower levels of materialism. I intend to do the same with seminary.

And they will know this beforehand, so if they can't handle the idea of being the one with the "wrong" sneakers, they can choose to stay home instead. Or, I suppose, work to earn the money for all of the trends they can't imagine living without.

amother
  Amber

Post Sat, Jun 29 2024, 9:43 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Extra training? No, collrge or uni is to hopefully learn a profession to help people pay for LIFE. Not to gey "extra training". Can't Believe It

No bachelors degree will help people pay for LIFE. That's four years of college tuition down the drain.

And I'm sure biology, art, humanities, history and college algebra are going to be very helpful in this area /s.

agreer

Post Sat, Jun 29 2024, 9:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes.

I have had to send a few kids to overnight camp. I do not send them with beach chairs, plastic drawers, tubs of nosh, specific brands of shoes, or any of the other "musts" I see here all the time. They get money ($25) to buy nosh in canteen.

Maybe this is because I chose a camp with lower levels of materialism. I intend to do the same with seminary.

And they will know this beforehand, so if they can't handle the idea of being the one with the "wrong" sneakers, they can choose to stay home instead. Or, I suppose, work to earn the money for all of the trends they can't imagine living without.

And now, you have undermined your whole argument.

They can, indeed, choose to stay home? That's an option?
And they will still get married and have normal, functional lives?

Then...drumroll please...seminary is NOT a necessity. It's a luxury. If you don't like that word, it's a want, or an extra... But it is absolutely not needed.

amother
  OP

Post Sat, Jun 29 2024, 9:59 pm
agreer wrote:
And now, you have undermined your whole argument.

They can, indeed, choose to stay home? That's an option?
And they will still get married and have normal, functional lives?

Then...drumroll please...seminary is NOT a necessity. It's a luxury. If you don't like that word, it's a want, or an extra... But it is absolutely not needed.

If any of my daughters is so superficial as to avoid a year of learning because she might chas veshalom not have the right brand of shoes, she is probably too superficial to gain from that year of seminary and shouldn't be going anyhow.

So yeah, such a girl will have the same life with or without seminary.

I'd hope (and believe based on what I know of my girls) that they understand the value of things beyond appearances and will truly benefit from that year of learning and personal growth.

If you think that seminary MUST include that laundry list of extras, I do understand where you're coming from when you call it a luxury.

But I am differentiating the year of learning from those unnecessary luxuries, and personally will not be giving into any of those. Don't worry, I have lots of practice.

amother
  Pink

Post Sat, Jun 29 2024, 10:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
If any of my daughters is so superficial as to avoid a year of learning because she might chas veshalom not have the right brand of shoes, she is probably too superficial to gain from that year of seminary and shouldn't be going anyhow.

So yeah, such a girl will have the same life with or without seminary.

I'd hope (and believe based on what I know of my girls) that they understand the value of things beyond appearances and will truly benefit from that year of learning and personal growth.

If you think that seminary MUST include that laundry list of extras, I do understand where you're coming from when you call it a luxury.

But I am differentiating the year of learning from those unnecessary luxuries, and personally will not be giving into any of those. Don't worry, I have lots of practice.

This is all nonsense because even if the girl does not come with even one item, not one tube of toothpaste, not one dollar of spending money, magically teleports instead of flying by plane, did not purchase even one button down shirt that the school requires as dress code, whatever...

Tuition alone is now over $30,000 and many many many middle class families do not qualify for breaks.

BaltoMom65

Post Sat, Jun 29 2024, 10:09 pm
Out of town Seminary, yeshiva, sleep away camp- ALL LUXURIES. Sorry

chestnut

Post Sat, Jun 29 2024, 11:34 pm
amother OP wrote:

You described two extremes.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jun 30 2024, 1:55 am
amother Amber wrote:
No bachelors degree will help people pay for LIFE. That's four years of college tuition down the drain.

And I'm sure biology, art, humanities, history and college algebra are going to be very helpful in this area /s.

It helps one pick a professional path..and some BA degrees can help.one get a job. Im.not really sure how you think not.
Page 10 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info