Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What will happen if I melt the butter instead of
Previous  1  2  3

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:01 pm
Amarante wrote:
Have you ever eaten a really good croissant or worked with very good puff pastry.

The technique is the same as you don’t want the butter to melt but you want it to be distributed between the layers.

Making puff paste you roll out once and then in the freezer and do this several times to create the layers.

Pie crusts aren’t flaky in the same way as they have a crispness. These kinds of rugelach and puff pastry are flaky but soft.

The recipe is from Rose Berenbaum Levy who writes amazing baking cookbooks. Her Cake Bible is indeed just that with very detailed instructions on how to get the perfect result. Even if you don’t make the specific recipe, just reading her instructions would make you a better baker.

And there really is nothing as delicious as rugelach dough made with cream cheese and butter as it is a sublime dough.

so cutting the butter is needed for both-pie crust and puff pastry, though with diff results in texture?

does cream cheese make it more flaky than sour cream?

I was doing a diff flaky rugelach recipe and it said sour cream preferable to cream cheese.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:03 pm
Amarante wrote:
Have you ever eaten a really good croissant or worked with very good puff pastry.

The technique is the same as you don’t want the butter to melt but you want it to be distributed between the layers.

Making puff paste you roll out once and then in the freezer and do this several times to create the layers.

Pie crusts aren’t flaky in the same way as they have a crispness. These kinds of rugelach and puff pastry are flaky but soft.

The recipe is from Rose Berenbaum Levy who writes amazing baking cookbooks. Her Cake Bible is indeed just that with very detailed instructions on how to get the perfect result. Even if you don’t make the specific recipe, just reading her instructions would make you a better baker.

And there really is nothing as delicious as rugelach dough made with cream cheese and butter as it is a sublime dough.

could you explain more about rolling out and then doing it several times?
she writes a envelope method which I dont understand.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
so cutting the butter is needed for both-pie crust and puff pastry, though with diff results in texture?

does cream cheese make it more flaky than sour cream?

I was doing a diff flaky rugelach recipe and it said sour cream preferable to cream cheese.

Different techniques.

With a good pie crust, you incorporate the butter so that it almost appears like sand or clumps.

With puff pastry you roll and fold so that the butter is layered. And you refrigerate each time you roll so the butter remains solid.

With a pie crust you only roll once when you are making the crust to fit in the pan. Excessive rolling destroys the quality.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:05 pm
https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....-6288

how does this come out as if butter been cut into it when its using oil?
it tastes like a cookie made with marge/butter.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:11 pm
https://jovialfoods.com/recipes/rugelach/

these look so flaky but there is no layering technique.
says knead 10 times till smooth.
I wonder how they get it to be so flaky.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:19 pm
amother OP wrote:

these look so flaky but there is no layering technique.
says knead 10 times till smooth.
I wonder how they get it to be so flaky.

It’s a different kind of dough as it is made with hot oil and flour.

This is a form of dough called choux. Years ago I made cream puffs with this dough and I think eclairs also use choux.

The Brish make something called a hit water crust which is traditionally used for savory pies. I have never made it or eaten it but have only read about it in baking articles

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 9:24 pm
Amarante wrote:
It’s a different kind of dough as it is made with hot oil and flour.

This is a form of dough called choux. Years ago I made cream puffs with this dough and I think eclairs also use choux.

The Brish make something called a hit water crust which is traditionally used for savory pies. I have never made it or eaten it but have only read about it in baking articles

the previous recipe I posted was with hot oil, not this one.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics