Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Gemach for Hair Extensions - Lakewood

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 11:46 am
Is there such a thing? My teen claims her friend told her there is one, and she wants hair extensions for wedding.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 11:48 am
There are rentals , could that be what she means?

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 1:15 pm
Wow. Soon this will be another standard.

amother
Sand

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 1:31 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:

Why not?

Maybe I can start a gemach for Christian Louboutin shoes. No teenage girl or kollel wife should be forced to go to a simcha with regular shoes.

What other gemachs do we need?

(Btw, if you are a regular hard working person who does her own nails, shops at DSW & Marshall’s and manages to pay tuition, please cancel your children’s 3 day vacation to Lancaster and your reservations at the Holiday Inn to subsidize these important community resources.)

patzer

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 1:54 pm
There should definitely be a gemach for Stanley cups. Some of us go hiking or on other outings during the summer months and it's humiliating to be seen in public with an ordinary water bottle.
Wink

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 2:01 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:

According to my teen, it already is.
And I'm refusing to buy her extensions.
She says there's a gmach, her friend told her.

Aurora

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 2:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
According to my teen, it already is.
And I'm refusing to buy her extensions.
She says there's a gmach, her friend told her.

Then let her ask the friend for the info?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 2:07 pm
amother Sand wrote:
Why not?

Maybe I can start a gemach for Christian Louboutin shoes. No teenage girl or kollel wife should be forced to go to a simcha with regular shoes.

What other gemachs do we need?

(Btw, if you are a regular hard working person who does her own nails, shops at DSW & Marshall’s and manages to pay tuition, please cancel your children’s 3 day vacation to Lancaster and your reservations at the Holiday Inn to subsidize these important community resources.)

Uh, what's the connection between hair extensions (cost under $100) and designer shoes and expensive vacations? Please enlighten me.

I don't do my own nails. I get manicures maybe 2-3 times a year.

ces

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 2:49 pm
OP pm me I think I have the info

amother
Oldlace

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 2:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is there such a thing? My teen claims her friend told her there is one, and she wants hair extensions for wedding.

If she wants fuller hair, why doesn’t she wear her fall wig? (Assuming she has one)

I wore one to my wedding, my hair was blended into it and it looked gorgeous and full!

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Thu, Jun 27 2024, 2:52 pm
Ruthy gindi has one

amother
OP

Post Today at 9:44 am
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
Ruthy gindi has one

Do you have a phone number for her?

amother
Sand

Post Today at 10:55 am
amother OP wrote:
Uh, what's the connection between hair extensions (cost under $100) and designer shoes and expensive vacations? Please enlighten me.

I don't do my own nails. I get manicures maybe 2-3 times a year.

I might live on a different planet.

My point was asking why do we need gemachs for luxuries and extras. It keeps upping the standards AND drains community resources because even if it is a wealth person now finding it, that is money being redirected from something else, which might actually be a necessity.

Regarding expensive shoes, my point was that it is superfluous and unless the girl has alopicia, having such a gemach and making it a standard, in my opinion, is a little too extra. Not everyone needs everything.

Regarding expensive vacations, Lancaster is the an epitome of a non-expensive vacation. If you do it right and pack your own cheese sandwiches and left over Shabbos chicken, it is about $600 including gas-fill up in NJ. (Use Groupon and Google free things to do). This and along with my $8 bottle of nail polish which lasts 2 years-I don’t spend money on having my nails done, as many of us don’t have the money to spend on frivolousness.

We need gemachs for necessities, not for upping the standards and collecting for them puts a strain on communities resources.

amother
Sand

Post Today at 10:57 am
amother Oldlace wrote:
If she wants fuller hair, why doesn’t she wear her fall wig? (Assuming she has one)

I wore one to my wedding, my hair was blended into it and it looked gorgeous and full!

Why would a teenage girl have a hat fall? I imagine a Kallah would buy one in preparation for being married.

Ruchel

Post Today at 10:59 am

amother
OP

Post Today at 11:16 am
amother Sand wrote:
I might live on a different planet.

My point was asking why do we need gemachs for luxuries and extras. It keeps upping the standards AND drains community resources because even if it is a wealth person now finding it, that is money being redirected from something else, which might actually be a necessity.

Regarding expensive shoes, my point was that it is superfluous and unless the girl has alopicia, having such a gemach and making it a standard, in my opinion, is a little too extra. Not everyone needs everything.

Regarding expensive vacations, Lancaster is the an epitome of a non-expensive vacation. If you do it right and pack your own cheese sandwiches and left over Shabbos chicken, it is about $600 including gas-fill up in NJ. (Use Groupon and Google free things to do). This and along with my $8 bottle of nail polish which lasts 2 years-I don’t spend money on having my nails done, as many of us don’t have the money to spend on frivolousness.

We need gemachs for necessities, not for upping the standards and collecting for them puts a strain on communities resources.

So everyone should do everything according to your priorities, and direct money your way?

It happens that my family rarely goes on vacation, even to Lancaster. We just do stay-cations. We have our own things that are meaningful to us. My teen has thin hair, so I asked a question about whether such a Gemach exists. Why is that your business?

amother
Springgreen

Post Today at 11:17 am
Why the sarcasm?
Some Girls, especially older ones can have really thin hair. Extensions are a life saver.
Once they’re married they don’t need it anymore so it would be smart to donate it to a gemach.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics