Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Psa many years later I regret

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 2:44 pm
Now that my children are basically grown up I somehow regret giving 2 names (not counting naming after someone). I wish I had kept it simple. Like Rochel/Rachel , Sara/Sarah, Aharon/Aaron, Ezra

you get me? I know it was meant to be & I had ruach hakodesh on it but if you are on the fence, I thought I would share.

amother
Charcoal

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 2:46 pm
We give two names for minhag (or also when naming after a person with two names).
What reason did you give two names?
Why do you regret it?

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 3:04 pm
I feel like 2 names gives the option for your dc to choose to use their other name if they don't like the first name. I have an unusual name and sometimes I wish I was able to just switch to a more common name, but I only have the one name.
I also know many people who simply drop one of their names in common usage. So if they were Rochel Leah, they go by Rochi or Rochel rather than both names.

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 3:06 pm
OP, you gave two Hebrew names, or you gave a Hebrew name and an English name?

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 3:07 pm
I call my kids by 2 names and I love it. No regrets and my kids are older.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 3:16 pm
Weird post...

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 3:41 pm
My first 4 have 2 names. The rest have one. With my second, I regret "wasting" a beautiful name that's never used.
B"H we have many more gorgeous names to choose from.

synthy

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 3:49 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
We give two names for minhag (or also when naming after a person with two names).
What reason did you give two names?
Why do you regret it?
Theres a minhag to give 2 names? Never heard of that

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 4:13 pm
amother Floralwhite wrote:
Weird post...

No it’s not weird.

In general, I know many people who regret names they had chosen for their kids.

That is why I make every effort to name after people. I find that when children are named after someone who was special and beloved, there is more depth to the name and there is less now I love it now I don’t …

If I name after someone who had two names , that’s what the name was so that’s what it is. If I’m naming after someone with one name, one name it is.

amother
Winterberry

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 4:17 pm
synthy wrote:
Theres a minhag to give 2 names? Never heard of that

It's not real minhag ... it's her family's way of doing things.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 1:29 am
I love giving two names. It makes me feel like I'm giving my kids a unique combination and the joined meaning of both names feels so powerful. I can't imagine ever regretting it. Each child has one name that's got a strong meaning with Hashem's name in it, and the other is something like a good middah. Every child is turning out so much like their name as well, it's beautiful to see.

I have relatives who only give one name and they act very "holier than thou" about it, as if it's a real problem to give two names and they're somehow frummer than us, but if it's been good enough for the gedolei hador it's good enough for me!

amother
Dill

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 10:36 pm
When people say giving two names do you mean a first and middle name even if you only call your child by the first name or that you call them by both names?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names