Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My 2 yr old doesn’t listen to a word!!!

aria3578  

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 7:47 am
I seriously am at wits end
My 2 yr old doesn’t listen to anything I say. Don’t touch the toilet. Don’t take off ur diaper. Come to the bath. Let’s clean up. Etc
I tried time out
I tried telling her she making mommy sad

Nothing works
She does everything against what I say on purpose

lol yes I am a FTM

Is this what all 2 yr olds are like?!

It’s 10:45 am and I feel lk I ran a marathon this morning. And we were 45 min late to playgroup.
I’m exhausted.

I eat healthy. I workout daily and I am in shape. But for some reason dealing with her shenanigans just zaps me

keep thinking of TTC
But then I’m lk how will ever manage pregnancy fatigue with a toddler??

Hubby doesn’t help much with her. Or the house.
No he’s not a bad husband. It’s just the dynamic we have in our house.
Please don’t jump on this point.
He helps to the best of his ability if I need him to.
He owns a business and works around the clock. Im grateful for that.

Anyway, any tips for a toddler?!

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 7:51 am
2 yr olds don't listen, it's developmentally appropriate. Stop talking and lead her gently and physically to the right thing. Sing a silly little song to keep her going. Structure and routine helps a lot. Good luck. It doesn't last forever.

tichellady  

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 7:52 am
Two year olds can be very hard. It’s not just you

tichellady

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 7:57 am
If you do want to ttc soon you will need to discuss him helping more or hiring help etc because you will likely not be able to do it alone, unless you have very easy pregnancies

Aurora

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 8:10 am
She's not doing it to be mean. She's a toddler! Practically a baby.

I like to say, "come, now we're going to..." and take kid by the hand.

Or instead of saying "no" find a way to say it positively. "Diapers are for tushies, not hands." Or be very simple.

and if the toilet is so much a problem, maybe keep that door closed with a safety over the door knob?

hodeez

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 8:12 am
It gets easier. It's called terrible twos for a reason !

amother
Snow

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 8:12 am
aria3578 wrote:
I seriously am at wits end
My 2 yr old doesn’t listen to anything I say. Don’t touch the toilet. Don’t take off ur diaper. Come to the bath. Let’s clean up. Etc
I tried time out
I tried telling her she making mommy sad

Nothing works
She does everything against what I say on purpose

lol yes I am a FTM

Is this what all 2 yr olds are like?!

It’s 10:45 am and I feel lk I ran a marathon this morning. And we were 45 min late to playgroup.
I’m exhausted.

I eat healthy. I workout daily and I am in shape. But for some reason dealing with her shenanigans just zaps me

keep thinking of TTC
But then I’m lk how will ever manage pregnancy fatigue with a toddler??

Hubby doesn’t help much with her. Or the house.
No he’s not a bad husband. It’s just the dynamic we have in our house.
Please don’t jump on this point.
He helps to the best of his ability if I need him to.
He owns a business and works around the clock. Im grateful for that.

Anyway, any tips for a toddler?!

Try things like “do you want to hop like a bunny to the bath or walk like a dog”. Give choices but make it fun. When they just hear get dressed now or come take a bath they don’t love it. Morning have been difficult with getting my toddler dressed- but I started doing the following which really helped! I pick two choices of clothing out and lay them on the floor and I say, I’m going to close my eyes and count to 10. Go jump on the outfit you want! She loves it usually and really helps.
Same with cleaning up toys. Sometimes my husband will say I’m going to close my eyes and count and please clean up all the toys and it works sometimes! I guess just ask them in out of the box and fun ways. And choices!

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 8:13 am
Toddlers don't listen. At least mine don't. Less talk, more action. Just take her by the hand etc.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 8:14 am
Yes it’s built into their source code. She’s a baby. Playfully get her to do things while she’s distracted and not realizing instead of getting into power struggles or trying to talk sense to her.
As for ttc if you give yourself another year or a bit less that really helps. That year makes a huge difference.

Last edited by giftedmom on Tue, Jun 25 2024, 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Bone

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 8:15 am
What helps with my 2 year old is
“Either you could do it yourself or I’m going to have to help you” 1..2…3. Get up and do it with them. Also don’t say it more than once, maybe twice. Then get up and do it. They have I’ll a tantrum. But will quickly learn it’s either them or you.

Sometimes I say I’ll count how fast it takes. And count out loud. Or give them options. Do you want to take off your shirt or pants first? Do you want to get a drink or take a bath first.

You don’t need to guilt trip her into listening (making you sad. It’s not her responsibility to make you happy or sad).

amother
Garnet

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 8:44 am
She’s a 2 year old. None of my 2 year olds listened. They need constant gentle reminders and you need to model everything with them 100 times till they get it… or they don’t.
They’re really good with routine and songs.

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 8:46 am
My DD was toilet trained right before her second birthday. She would scream and howl when I would try to dress her, screaming Me do it. Me do it!!!
Well, we needed to leave and she wasn’t getting dressed or letting me dress her. I gave her her underwear and told her I was going to leave the room (I needed to use the bathroom) and when I got back, she needed to be out of her pajamas and wearing her underwear. I got back knocked on her door to say I was back, she screamed TaDa!!! She was stalk naked with her underwear on her head, and said, see, me wear me underpants! LOL

aria3578

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 11:40 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
My DD was toilet trained right before her second birthday. She would scream and howl when I would try to dress her, screaming Me do it. Me do it!!!
Well, we needed to leave and she wasn’t getting dressed or letting me dress her. I gave her her underwear and told her I was going to leave the room (I needed to use the bathroom) and when I got back, she needed to be out of her pajamas and wearing her underwear. I got back knocked on her door to say I was back, she screamed TaDa!!! She was stalk naked with her underwear on her head, and said, see, me wear me underpants! LOL

This is so my daughter’s type!!! I’m laughing 😂

Comptroller

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 11:56 am
Just saying it is not yet enough for a two year old. You have to reinforce with gestures, show what you want.

beaqueen

Post Tue, Jun 25 2024, 4:12 pm
not an easy stage
they respond better to physical directions more than words, (like start taking toy out of her hand and then say its time to put away the toys, or take her hand and then say come we are going to xyz ....
if fighting with another kid better to physically separate them, if she runs away go after her and bring g her back, they understand that better than hearing a lot of words they process it better.
and eventually they grow out of that stage and do listen better to verbal directions around age 4/5
hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics