Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
OPWDD

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 11:13 am
can someone please explain what this is? My child has an asd diagnosis and is receiving ABA therapy. I'm in NY.

The agency mentioned HCBS but not OPWDD. Although it seems the latter is for ASD and not the former.

What exactly do they cover? In actual practice, what practical help have you received through this program?

I'm tired of castles in the air.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 11:24 am
The best agency to get evaluated is hamaspik. I know one of the psychologists there that does the evaluations and she is good .
The process can be lengthy, however once approved its great.
You can have what they call traditional services which is comhab and respite. Which is basically babysitting. You get a certain amount of hours. You can use it for camp if needed.
Then there is self direction. Based on ages, and other factors yout get a budget. And in that budget you can get comhab respite, classes like swim, art, cooking, baking, music, akd more.

amother
Lilac  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 1:01 pm
HCBS is a program funded by the federal government that provides services and supports to keep people with disabilities or other needs in their home (H) and Community (C).

HCBS means home and community-based services.

HCBS is an add on to medicaid, that means that in order to get HCBS services the child needs to get medicaid first. Medicaid pays for the health insurance, while HCBS/ also known as “waiver” pays for the extra services such as respite.

Medicaid is available to the child with disabilities or health needs even if the family is above income limits.

HCBS is available in every state, but this conversation is specifically about the HCBS programs available in NY. “HCBS” and “waiver” are used interchangeably in this document.

There are many different kinds of HCBS services available in NY.

The 2 most commonly used ones are:

1. OPWDD

2. Childrens’ Waiver (people call this one “HCBS” but really they are both are forms of HCBS)

OPWDD is the waiver program that is meant to help people with cognitive or developmental disabilities live in their home and community.

Some things about OPWDD:

· Mostly starts at age 3

· In Long Island harder to get at age 3

· Child needs to have a diagnosis of a developmental disability or other qualifying diagnosis

· Developmental disability means:

o IQ under 70

o AND adaptive scores under 70

o OR a qualifying diagnosis that allows an IQ over 70

o Qualifying diagnoses include autism, familial dysautonomia, and others

o Disability started before the age of 21 years

· Full approval process takes on average 6-12 months, although recent laws passed should be making that shorter

· Provides services such as respite, community habilitation

· All services are geared to the person with disabilities’ needs

· Hourly rates are somewhat over minimum wage

· Workers need to have working papers (HS age okay)

· Parents apply once at age 3, re- request eligibility at age 8, and then are considered disabled

for the duration of their needs (no reauthorization after age 8)

· Services can be used flexibly to support the person with disabilities through a program called self direction

· Services can be used for camp

· Services can transfer from agency to agency

· Service such as respite can be split between multiple agencies

· Program around for decades, well built and systemized

· Meant to be a long-term program to support a person with disabilities needs throughout the lifetime

·

Some things about the Childrens’ Waiver:

· Starts at any age

· Child needs to have qualifying diagnoses of either:

· Serious emotional disturbance (i.e.ODD, OCD, eating disorders)

o Medically fragile children (2 chronic health conditions)

o Developmental Disability and Medically Fragile

o Developmental Disability and Foster Care

· Easier enrollment process (3-6 months)

· Provides services such as respite, community habilitation, and caregiver family support

· Parents can receive services such as caregiver family support

· Higher rates of pay for workers

· Workers need to have a BA

· Each service can only be received from one agency at a time, for example, respite can only be with one agency

· Need to be reauthorized every year

· New program (only open for around 5 years)

· Services may be able to be used for camp (not set in stone yet)

· Gives more hours to begin with, but without flexibility of use such as self direction

· Meant to be a 1-2 year program (not long term) to give a child and family skills to stay out of the hospital

· Based on the information gathered and what was told to me (not my conclusions), HCBS is a good option for those with medical and emotional issues and OPWDD is good for those with cognitive issues, though cases are still individualized, and depending on what you need, both options should be explored... But the above mentioned is a good rule to go by.

These days, HCBS is very helpful (for the right, eligible party) because:

-You get services while in the enrollment process

-Much quicker than OPWDD approval

-Much easier than ODWDD

-Easier billing process

-Better pay rate for providers

-Lots of different types of services are available

-There are services available for the caregiver vs OPWDD thats strictly for the child

-As a side point.... while HCBS approves services for the child with medical needs, they do not provide medical services and that comes from medicaid

However: (still based on what was told to me)

-Self direction (through OPWDD) is still usually more beneficial for the classic child (lol that doesnt exist) with developmental disabilities than HCBS (comhab, shabbatons, etc.)

-You need to reauthorize every year and at 21 it stops

-Child needs to really have significant issues to qualify for a diagnosis of “serious emotional disturbance” with a label that stays with them

-Parent is a lot more in control of the money spending in OPWDD vs HCBS

-For parents who rely on the 2 month summer break to survive all year, OPWDD is the way to go in terms of camp funding and can be the big make it or break it

zigi

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 2:55 pm
Opwwd is also if the parent isn't eligible for Medicaid the child is. That is why it's also called Medicaid waiver

sunshine23

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 3:16 pm
Ur son qualifies for both services it's up to you to choose which one. Both qualify him for Medicaid through waiver based on disability and not income factors. Feel free to pm me. I have lots of experience as I work in one of the agencies

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 3:59 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
HCBS is a program funded by the federal government that provides services and supports to keep people with disabilities or other needs in their home (H) and Community (C).

HCBS is an add on to medicaid, that means that in order to get HCBS services the child needs to get medicaid first. Medicaid pays for the health insurance, while HCBS/ also known as “waiver” pays for the extra services such as respite.

Medicaid is available to the child with disabilities or health needs even if the family is above income limits.

HCBS is available in every state, but this conversation is specifically about the HCBS programs available in NY. “HCBS” and “waiver” are used interchangeably in this document.

1. OPWDD

2. Childrens’ Waiver (people call this one “HCBS” but really they are both are forms of HCBS)

OPWDD is the waiver program that is meant to help people with cognitive or developmental disabilities live in their home and community.

Some things about OPWDD:

· Mostly starts at age 3

· Child needs to have a diagnosis of a developmental disability or other qualifying diagnosis

o IQ under 70

· Full approval process takes on average 6-12 months, although recent laws passed should be making that shorter

· Parents apply once at age 3, re- request eligibility at age 8, and then are considered disabled

· Services can be used flexibly to support the person with disabilities through a program called self direction

· Meant to be a long-term program to support a person with disabilities needs throughout the lifetime

·

· Starts at any age

· Provides services such as respite, community habilitation, and caregiver family support

· Each service can only be received from one agency at a time, for example, respite can only be with one agency

· Gives more hours to begin with, but without flexibility of use such as self direction

· Meant to be a 1-2 year program (not long term) to give a child and family skills to stay out of the hospital

· Based on the information gathered and what was told to me (not my conclusions), HCBS is a good option for those with medical and emotional issues and OPWDD is good for those with cognitive issues, though cases are still individualized, and depending on what you need, both options should be explored... But the above mentioned is a good rule to go by.

-Much easier than ODWDD

-Easier billing process

-There are services available for the caregiver vs OPWDD thats strictly for the child

-As a side point.... while HCBS approves services for the child with medical needs, they do not provide medical services and that comes from medicaid

-Self direction (through OPWDD) is still usually more beneficial for the classic child (lol that doesnt exist) with developmental disabilities than HCBS (comhab, shabbatons, etc.)

-Child needs to really have significant issues to qualify for a diagnosis of “serious emotional disturbance” with a label that stays with them

-For parents who rely on the 2 month summer break to survive all year, OPWDD is the way to go in terms of camp funding and can be the big make it or break it

I don’t know where you copied and pasted this from, but OP don’t even bother with hcbs. It’s extremely difficult to get approved. Call hamaspik and start the opwdd process, you will be able to get a lot of services for your child

Just One

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:18 pm
amother Lilac wrote:

1. OPWDD

Some things about OPWDD:

· Mostly starts at age 3

o IQ under 70

·

· Starts at any age

-Much easier than ODWDD

-Easier billing process

This is a really thought out and informative post. Thanks for this info!

amother
  Lilac  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 4:24 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
I don’t know where you copied and pasted this from, but OP don’t even bother with hcbs. It’s extremely difficult to get approved. Call hamaspik and start the opwdd process, you will be able to get a lot of services for your child

I wrote it, no need to be nasty.

I helped a bunch of people get approved for hcbs in the past few weeks/months not sure we're you get your information from.

FYI they are making it harder and harder to get approved for OpWdd especially under 18.
Alot of people are getting approved for either provisional eligibility and or/ approval for fss waiver.

Still 100% worth to get approved for OpWdd as that's for life but if you want to make it easier you can get approved for hcbs and apply for OpWdd and then switch waiver. You might have a gap though.

OP you can reach out to Yahalom 212-797-9000 they are extremely knowledgeable and don't have any ngiah to a specific agency.

amother
Amber  

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 5:28 pm
My son just got approved for opwdd and hes going to mainstream camp. Can they pay for it? What did you say about funding for camp?

amother
  Lilac

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 5:38 pm
amother Amber wrote:
My son just got approved for opwdd and hes going to mainstream camp. Can they pay for it? What did you say about funding for camp?

He may be able to use his comhab/respite hour if they have a contract w that agency or can sign up one of the workers. Would ask your comhab/respite coordinator.

amother
  Amber

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 6:33 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
He may be able to use his comhab/respite hour if they have a contract w that agency or can sign up one of the workers. Would ask your comhab/respite coordinator.

Thank you

amother
Snapdragon

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 7:59 am
I am in a similar position and I am not getting clarity from the agency so I am wondering if someone can explain it better here:
My son currently gets OPWDD and we have used the FSS for camp. He got approved for the medicaid waiver but it is not clear if this covers camp or psychological services like counseling-as I understand if I do the waiver, we lose the FSS so I want to be certain if I switch. Can anyone answer these questions?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)