Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Do I need to tell the camp about anxiety meds?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 7:03 pm
Dd 17 year old is going to a travelling camp. She takes zoloft every day for anxiety, but she is bH totally fine. Never had a panic attack or anything like that - it just helps her feel better on a daily basis. I'm filling out the medical forms for camp and it's asking about medical conditions and medications that are taken regularly. These are regular people in the community running this camp and I'd like to avoid people knowing about her meds. What would you do?

amother
Wandflower

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 7:05 pm
I can't imagine not telling the camp. Especially a travelling camp where it would be easier for a medication to get misplaced.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 7:05 pm
Yes
If anything happens ch"v and she needs medical treatment there's a chance there would be contraindications with her medication.
You should know it's very, very common for people to be on these and there shouldn't really be negative judgement.

Anonymiss 1

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 7:07 pm
I would give all pertinent medical information. Hopefully it’ll never be necessary, but you never know what information could be needed. Could be anxiety related, or something totally different but all medications taken is a typical emergency-type question that would need to be answered and these people are going to be responsible for her!

amother
Honeydew  

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 7:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
Dd 17 year old is going to a travelling camp. She takes zoloft every day for anxiety, but she is bH totally fine. Never had a panic attack or anything like that - it just helps her feel better on a daily basis. I'm filling out the medical forms for camp and it's asking about medical conditions and medications that are taken regularly. These are regular people in the community running this camp and I'd like to avoid people knowing about her meds. What would you do?

You need to tell, in case of an emergency they need to know
Also, her Zoloft should be kept away and out of the reach of other teenagers, it’s just not something she should be responsible for.
I was in camp on antidepressants I told my friends it was migraine medication the nurse was really nice I just went in and took it every morning

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 7:14 pm
I understand your hesitation about telling, especially that it's people in your community. But the right thing to do is to tell. Even though it's making you uncomfortable to tell, you will ultimately feel better knowing you're not hiding anything.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 8:32 pm
I wouldn’t. But you’re the best judge.

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 8:34 pm
Absolutely tell them for her own safety. They need to know in case of emergency

paperflowers

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 9:55 pm
The camp probably cannot legally allow campers to hold onto any medication and it will need to be administered by the nurse daily. The camp will have some efficient system for all the campers to take their various medications.
And that's a good thing.
What happens if she's all off schedule from travelling and misses a dose and starts getting brain zaps - a very common withdrawal symptom? If they know about it, then she talks to the nurse and they get her back on schedule. If no one knows what she's taking then everyone freaks out that she's having seizures and she will be in a position of then needing to disclose the medication.
Or, what if her counselor notices her taking the pills? She will have to turn them in to the nurse anyway and now she's gotten in trouble for something that could have been avoided.
Best to just be up front about it.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:47 pm
I’m so sorry to sound harsh, but what kind of question is this.. of course you have to tell them.. it’s her health.. I just can’t believe how crazy ppl can be to even think twice about this..

ddmom

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 10:55 pm
If you don't want a lot of ppl knowing about it speak directly to the nurse!

amother
  Honeydew

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:28 pm
ddmom wrote:
If you don't want a lot of ppl knowing about it speak directly to the nurse!

My mother dropped me off, went to find the nurse and gave it to her.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:37 pm
I’m a camp nurse and can’t stress enough the importance of sharing this info. Hopefully, the camp staff is professional and they won’t repeat any sensitive info (and I’m sure your daughter is not the only one).
You are entrusting your daughter in their care, and it is your duty as a parent to make sure they have her health history.
(I will spare you the horror stories because I don’t want to scare you…but please take my and all previous posters advice.)

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 11:54 pm
amother Wine wrote:
I’m a camp nurse and can’t stress enough the importance of sharing this info. Hopefully, the camp staff is professional and they won’t repeat any sensitive info (and I’m sure your daughter is not the only one).
You are entrusting your daughter in their care, and it is your duty as a parent to make sure they have her health history.
(I will spare you the horror stories because I don’t want to scare you…but please take my and all previous posters advice.)

I think horror stories are in the right place here

amother
Daffodil

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 12:03 am
It is completely normal to contact the nurse directly. If you don't know how, contact the camp and say that your daughter will be taking medication and your family likes to speak directly to the nurse to set things up- which, btw, I do whether my kid is taking allergy meds or adhd meds or birth control. I talk directly to her, we come up with a cover story if my kid wants one or with creative arrangements as needed, and if the meds are being sent by a service, we confirm them together once they arrive.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 24 2024, 3:32 am
amother DarkViolet wrote:
I wouldn’t. But you’re the best judge.

But why not? What if she looses the meds and needs more? What if, what if, what if?
Not a good idea not to tell.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children