Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Would you go for shabbos?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 10:06 am
MY friend invited my family for shabbos. This morning she called to tell me that her child woke up with a fever. would you take your family and risk it?

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 10:09 am
never. why risk it??

amother
Birch

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 10:11 am
No, I would not go.

nw11

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 10:11 am
Nope. not worth it. I'd rather have a very simple shabbos meal at home

essie14

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 10:24 am
No. Go another week

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 10:30 am
I just feel like we cant control who gets sick. but would it be stupid of me to go? I guess so..

groovy1224

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 10:33 am
Maybe I'm crazy? But for me it depends on the age of the child. A teen or a 10 year old who can keep to themselves? I'd probably still go. But if it's a toddler or preschooler that will likely be all over my kids and touching everything I would stay home.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 10:49 am
groovy1224 wrote:
Maybe I'm crazy? But for me it depends on the age of the child. A teen or a 10 year old who can keep to themselves? I'd probably still go. But if it's a toddler or preschooler that will likely be all over my kids and touching everything I would stay home.

Yes, but by the time you get there those germs have probably been happily incubating in other asymptomatic family members and are ripe for contagion. I wouldn't risk it.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 10:57 am
It’s very possible that she is secretly hoping you decline.
She might feel bad to back out on you last minute, but it is very difficult to host when a child is sick.

amother
Maple

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 11:29 am
I once went to a shabbos meal and another guest (not the host) had come despite having a stomach bug they'd been passing around. One of the parents was throwing up in the bathroom by the end of the night. I got sick from it and I was so upset. I would have stayed home if I'd been given the option. They were nice people, and offered to host me sometime, and I knew that I was never going to take them up on their offer because I couldn't trust them to tell me if they were sick in the future.

It's probably not worth going.

amother
Quince

Post Fri, Jun 21 2024, 12:06 pm
Are you nuts? No, I wouldn't go. You don't even know what the kids has or how contagious it is. It's probably not bubonic plague but even a mild flu-like bug isn't something you want to deliberately expose your family to. Not to mention that your hostess doesn't exactly need a houseful of guests when she has a sick child to care for.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children