Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Will a dietitian help?
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 8:30 am
I know what I need to eat and not eat. My problem is making it happen. I struggle with planning (and if I don't plan well, I end up eating whatever is convenient) and also, well, I have huge sweet tooth. So I'm not sure a dietitian will really do much, because I already know what I need to know. So how can I get the help I need? Because doing it on my own isn't working, knowledge doesn't help if I don't act on it.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 12:58 pm
Bump

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 1:10 pm
Seems like what you need is accountability.

But you might want to backtrack as to your why.
Why do you want to lose weight? What will it give you? How?
And then go back even more: Will it truly solve that?

I think the answer is probably no, and your subconscious knows it.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 1:24 pm
Because I'm obese and I'm a ticking time bomb for serious health problems, and yes, losing weight will help. It's not that complicated lol. The complicated part is that I can't get myself to do what I know I need to do.

lamplighter  

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 1:33 pm
A dietician/nutritionist will give you accountability which is what you need. You don't need motivation or a food plan, you need to have to show up at the end of the week, get weighed and make a plan about the upcoming week.
Accountability is a game changer.

hodeez  

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 1:33 pm
Just do it. You know what has to be done. Set yourself realistic goals and reward yourself. Not sure what a dietician will do other than help you structure your meals and snacks. But if you don't follow the plan that would be a terrible waste of money

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 1:38 pm
If I could "just do it" I would have done it! Obviously I can't and I need help to do so. What is the right kind of help for this?

hodeez  

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 2:08 pm
Excuse my ignorance but what is stopping you from "just doing it"?

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 2:09 pm
hodeez wrote:

lol. Something tells me u don’t struggle with ur weight.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 2:54 pm
hodeez wrote:

Can you please stop if you're not going to be helpful? Obviously if I could, I would and I would not be asking for help. I'm looking for help on how to actually get myself to stick with healthier life choices.

hodeez

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 2:57 pm
I do struggle with my weight, and id be much worse off if I couldn't control myself like I do daily. But ok I'll go somewhere else now.

essie14

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 2:58 pm
Don't underestimate the power of accountability. It's very powerful and motivating.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 3:12 pm
So with accountability- that is something a dietician can offer? Even if that's the main focus and not actually the nitty gritty of the food? Or do I need therapy? I'm just trying to find the right help for myself to properly take care of myself, since wanting to do it doesn't seem to be enough.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 3:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
So with accountability- that is something a dietician can offer? Even if that's the main focus and not actually the nitty gritty of the food? Or do I need therapy? I'm just trying to find the right help for myself to properly take care of myself, since wanting to do it doesn't seem to be enough.

You want to go to someone who you have to answer to and be weighed at, weekly.
Forget therapy for now.

If only it was all down to willpower. The billion dollar diet industry exists and thrives for a reason.

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 3:17 pm
I've only managed to stick to being good with a nutritionist or a diet group. Diet group was best (both WW and SW)

Obese again now but medical issues!

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 3:23 pm
A good Registered Dietitian will not only help with accountability, but also help you anticipate challenges and help you find solutions and strategies. She will help you plan ahead. She will know what to ask and how to help support you to maximize adherence. She will set you up for success.

(I might be biased as this is part of what I do)

mary6  

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 3:48 pm
Hi Op
I’m so sorry for you.
I don’t know if a dietitian will help. You can try - it probably depends which dietitian you see.
What helped me was to really understand how the foods are killing us. I read books like processed people.
Listened to podcasts https://zoe.com/podcast
I didn’t change over night but I have now been on this journey for a few years.
Other things that I felt really helped me
- do not look at this as a weight loss journey. Only ever view it as a health journey. ( I never step on the scales)
- I still comfort eat and volume eat but it’s a bag of carrots or it’s chicken soup or nuts ect.
- just know that foods can be addictive so it’s not that you don’t have will power. This is your brain craving the foods so the first week or two will be the hardest but once you cut the processed foods out the cravings do subside.
- when I am hungry but I haven’t got food prepared I have a list of things I can always eat like boiled eggs, roasted nuts I just found that peleg make a sachet of flavoured quinoa that’s really quick to heat and eat.
Good luck.
When I feel like I’m struggling I just listen to the science.
https://youtu.be/oIej89MIvto?s.....8idsW

mary6

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 3:55 pm
So I see a lot of people say accountability, the biggest problem with this is you are going in and being weighed this isn’t the only factor to health. ( I don’t know a single person who’s been to a dietician and then gone on to loose weight long term) If you’d like to have reference to your health progress Id suggest getting blood work done, seeing the fasting sugar levels and doing that again in three months. This is a much better indicator to your health than a number on the scales.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Jun 22 2024, 10:38 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
A good Registered Dietitian will not only help with accountability, but also help you anticipate challenges and help you find solutions and strategies. She will help you plan ahead. She will know what to ask and how to help support you to maximize adherence. She will set you up for success.

(I might be biased as this is part of what I do)

Im looking for the same as OP. How can I reach/ hire you?

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 1:00 am
I'm not sure if you want a recommendation. but, I highly recommend Dalia Brunschwig. She is a fabulous nutritionist with loads of knowledge. Her approach is very supportive. She tailors the plan to your needs. I've had an excellent experience with her. The support she offers is priceless!
Wishing you sustainable success!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise