Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
My Cake Flopped (again)

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 10:40 pm
I took the time to bake a cake for shabbos... the entire cake flopped. the outside is crusty and the inside fell and is fudgy
its not the first time its happening...
anyone knows what causes this?

Comptroller

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 10:44 pm
Oven too hot. Is it a gaz oven? maybe the thermostat in the oven does not work.

Also you should not open the oven door while it is baking and avoid draft once you take it out.

And check if it is baked all the way through before you take it out, by pricking it with a stick and checking if dough sticks to it.

Last edited by Comptroller on Thu, May 30 2024, 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 10:45 pm
gas

Comptroller

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 10:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
gas

yes, the thermostat probably does not work properly.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 11:21 pm
Do use an oven thermometer? They are inexpensive.

That said, do you follow instructions carefully?

Do you measure ingredients accurately. Baking involves a complex interaction of ingredients so everything is critical in achieving the best results.

You can easily modify a non-baking type of recipe but if you aren't a professional baker (and even then) you can't modify a baking recipe without risking a bad outcome.

There are some very good basic baking recipes which give you explicit steps and also explain why these create the results.

ETA - Some cookbooks have very good sections on baking essentials which people should read. They explain why temperature of ingredients is important - why creaming is important (in certain recipes); how the type of pan and whether it is shiny, dark, light, matte can impact the outcome - and others.

I was just reading a recipe which reminded me in the notes that Dutch processed cocoa was specified because it reacts differently to baking soda/baking power than regular cocoa.

Last edited by Amarante on Fri, May 31 2024, 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total

synthy

Post Fri, May 31 2024, 12:19 am
Is your baking soda/powder fresh?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 31 2024, 10:02 am
Ill take all the comments into consideration, thanks everyone!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 1:47 pm
Opening this conversation again.
I bought an oven thermometer and the reading shows at 310 F when the oven shows its heated at 350 F (!!!!).
so what does this mean? is my oven broken, its only 2 years old. or I cant trust the thermometer?
what would my next step be?

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 1:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Opening this conversation again.
I bought an oven thermometer and the reading shows at 310 F when the oven shows its heated at 350 F (!!!!).
so what does this mean? is my oven broken, its only 2 years old. or I cant trust the thermometer?
what would my next step be?

It is unlikely that the thermometer you bought is inaccurate as it is more likely that your oven needs to be caibrated.

This is probably why your cakes are flopping because with that temperature you are not cooking the interior but only a small amount of the exterior.

And even with meat it could be an issue since you could theoretically not cooking it at the appropriate temperature for food safety. Food not reaching proper temperature quickly enough is one of the reasons (for example) that it is no longer recommended that people cook a turkey with stuffing as the stuffing remains at an unsafe temperature for a long enough period to grow pathogens and doesn't heat to the right temperature long enough.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 2:05 pm
thanks for your reply!

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 2:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
thanks for your reply!

I would call the manufacturer as there might be a way for you to calibrate or they could suggest a repair person who is authorized in your area.

Unfortunately gas ovens tend to be less accurate than electric ovens which is why many people opt for dual fuel stoves which have gas burners and an electric oven. Or they have a gas cooktop with electric wall ovens.

Last edited by Amarante on Mon, Jun 17 2024, 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 2:10 pm
When you say gas oven what does this mean?

Fan? Or electric?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 2:35 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
When you say gas oven what does this mean?

Fan? Or electric?

Gas. There is a covered gas fire in the bottom and another at the top. There is generally no fan.

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 3:19 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Gas. There is a covered gas fire in the bottom and another at the top. There is generally no fan.

Wow I thought those dont exist anymore!

Are they made now, or older?
I presume if theyr made now theyr very good.

Where I come from, they are very very dated

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 4:25 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
Wow I thought those dont exist anymore!

Are they made now, or older?
I presume if theyr made now theyr very good.

Where I come from, they are very very dated

Most people who have gas burners get what are called dual fuel stoves with electric ovens.

There are all gas stoves which OP seems to have but these are not as common and are less expensive than dual fuel stoves

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 9:14 pm
my oven has fire on the bottom, mostly covered with metal with just 2 approx 3" slits on the sides showing the fire through.
on top is the broil part, otherwise no fire on the top.
so to confirm, because I just got confused, I have gas oven, yes?

biggirl6

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 11:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
my oven has fire on the bottom, mostly covered with metal with just 2 approx 3" slits on the sides showing the fire through.
on top is the broil part, otherwise no fire on the top.
so to confirm, because I just got confused, I have gas oven, yes?

yes its a gas oven-u need a new ignitor

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 10:00 am
biggirl6 wrote:
yes its a gas oven-u need a new ignitor

If the oven is actually lighting but the temperature is wrong, the gas flow might need to be adjusted.

Evidently there is a screw type of mechanism which regulates the flow of gas and so if not enough gas is getting into the stove, it won't heat sufficiently.

Gas ovens are notoriously very off in their temperatures - much more so than electric ovens.

One benefit of a oven thermometer is that until gets her oven calibrated, she could set the temperature so that the actual temperature is correct and verify with the thermometer. For example, if she needs 350 degrees, maybe she sets it at 400 degrees and the actual temperature will be 350.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking