Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tylenol alternative for baby
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:10 pm
What can I give 6 month old to bring down fever?
Baby not in pain, but has 102 fever. Prefer to avoid Tylenol/Motrin if kid is not in pain and temperature is not climbing up.

Tia!

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:11 pm
Lukewarm bath.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:12 pm
No need to bring down the fever…

amother
Mint  

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:15 pm
102 is a perfectly safe temperature and is actually super beneficial for baby. Just keep them comfortable.

If you really want to bring it down, try vinegar socks or potato socks

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:23 pm
amother Mint wrote:
102 is a perfectly safe temperature and is actually super beneficial for baby. Just keep them comfortable.

If you really want to bring it down, try vinegar socks or potato socks

How do u do potato socks?

Crazy thing is baby has no other symptoms- besides for maybe teething. But that shouldn’t cause a 102 fever, right?

tweety1  

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
How do u do potato socks?

Crazy thing is baby has no other symptoms- besides for maybe teething. But that shouldn’t cause a 102 fever, right?

I'd be concerned for 102 fever in a 6 month old. I hope you're going to the dr tomorrow

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:46 pm
tweety1 wrote:
I'd be concerned for 102 fever in a 6 month old. I hope you're going to the dr tomorrow

He said to give it a day or 2

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:48 pm
Do as much skin to skin contact as possible. It helps babies regulate temperature. It won’t make the fever go away, the fever is needed to fight whatever the baby is fighting.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:50 pm
FYI there is a cleaner version of tylenol called genexa. Its even on the the star-k approved list!

amother
  Mint  

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 8:02 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:
FYI there is a cleaner version of tylenol called genexa. Its even on the the star-k approved list!
The active ingredient in Tylenol is toxic to the liver, no matter how clean the other ingredients are. I wish genexa would make a clean ibuprophen. However, a fever of 102 doesn't need any treatment

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 8:26 pm
Lukewarm bath, lots of fluids, cool compress on forehead, lots of snuggles. Otherwise just let it ride its course. If your baby is very uncomfortable and upset or the fever gets worse then consider medication

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 10:22 pm
If you do end up giving medicine always choose Motrin over Tylenol

kiwi strawberry

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 10:33 pm
If it's not climbing and baby is not uncomfortable why the need to give anything? There is nothing inherently wrong with the fever. It's not something dangerous or fearful in and of itself that we should actively work to bring down just for its own sake. What's more significant than the number on the thermometer is how the baby is acting and presenting. If he is acting ok and drinking but has a somewhat high fever that is much more ok than a baby who has a low fever but is acting lethargic and not drinking anything. What even made you take his temp if he's acting fine? Stop taking the temperature so much. Let his body do what it was designed to do. Hashem made it perfect 💗

realsilver

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 12:34 am
Straight cucumber juice helps brings down fever

amother
RosePink  

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 12:42 am
Make sure baby is lightly dressed, use lukewarm baths and washcloths.

I am guessing most people who are saying to ignore it have never had a baby have a febrile seizure...

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 2:20 am
I would also keep an eye out for possible discomfort urinating (I know, it's hard to spot in a baby in diapers) because unexplained fever can be sign of a UTI.

We have family history with uti issues so I would take a kid to be cultured just for unexplained fever, but I think if you don't you can give it a bit more of a chance to resolve itself. And ofc if they develop other symptoms of a virus etc you no longer need to worry about UTI because fever is no longer unexplained.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 6:59 am
amother RosePink wrote:
Make sure baby is lightly dressed, use lukewarm baths and washcloths.

I am guessing most people who are saying to ignore it have never had a baby have a febrile seizure...

Febrile seizure comes from a sudden spike in temperature, not a gradual rise or a sustained high temperature. My daughter had a febrile seizure when she spiked from 99 to 103 in a few minutes. She's had 101 and 102 and acted normal.

amother
Geranium

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 7:49 am
amother Tanzanite wrote:
If you do end up giving medicine always choose Motrin over Tylenol

Why

tweety1

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 8:12 am
amother RosePink wrote:

I was thinking this exactly! If you never had it just daven to hashem your child should never have one. It's the scariest episode for a mother to witness. I feel like crying every time I remember the experience. You feel like your child is giving its last breath in your arms.

amother
  RosePink

Post Tue, Jun 18 2024, 8:31 am
amother Blonde wrote:
Febrile seizure comes from a sudden spike in temperature, not a gradual rise or a sustained high temperature. My daughter had a febrile seizure when she spiked from 99 to 103 in a few minutes. She's had 101 and 102 and acted normal.

My daughter had an untreated fever when she had hers. It just got too high. I left her sleeping instead of waking to give her medicine because I didn't want to disturb her. I'll never forget how she looked, frothing at the mouth...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics