Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Help me, my oldest dd just got her period 1st time
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 5:02 pm
I warned her about it at least a year ago. Today she came home from school and told me she got it in school and she just used a bunch of tissues. I gave her a box of "cute" pads a bought a while ago that I was saving for her. I asked her if I can show her how to use it, she said I'll figure it out. I said "too awkward?" She rolled her eyes and laughed, saying "maaaa!!" So I just left it at that. Meanwhile, she put the box in the bathroom without using it.
Do I just leave her to figure things out herself or do I bring it up again? If bring it up, what's the best way?

amother
PlumPink

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 5:09 pm
No pain? No crying?

Dreading this stage.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 5:12 pm
I’d give her space and say she can ask you any questions she has. I went through a tissue phase. If she’s not leaking all over you can ignore it.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 5:13 pm
Show her how to put the pads on. And I bought my dd a small pouch to keep pads in for school

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 5:15 pm
Maybe take her to the store and have her choose a brand that she likes and would be more comfortable wearing

amother
Alyssum  

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 5:16 pm
https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-h.....aw.ds

This is really cute.

amother
NeonPurple  

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 5:41 pm
You "warned" her about it??

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 5:44 pm
Leave her be.
Sounds like she’s mature and independent.
You did your job.

Edited to add: I would follow the daughter’s cues. It sounds like she is the kind of gal (after my own heart actually) who won’t want to be fussed over with ice cream etc. You don’t need to do that just to feel like a good mom if the daughter doesn’t appreciate it.

amother
Jean

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 6:05 pm
Ok I got this: take your daughter out in the car. Drive someplace on a highway. No eye contact. Repeat no eye contact. Say your piece . Idk if you have the option but I found that having a monthly automatic delivery gets rid of the awkward
Also pads are not cute. But mini bags are adorable! I got a tiny mini bag for my daughter

tree of life  

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 6:06 pm
Buy period underwear for her best invention

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 6:09 pm
amother Jean wrote:
Ok I got this: take your daughter out in the car. Drive someplace on a highway. No eye contact. Repeat no eye contact. Say your piece . Idk if you have the option but I found that having a monthly automatic delivery gets rid of the awkward
Also pads are not cute. But mini bags are adorable! I got a tiny mini bag for my daughter

I also slide a great piece of chocolate and advise at least once a day for the duration of their period. Works for me so it surely must woek for them.

No eye contact is super important 😀

honey36

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 6:50 pm
Almost there (oldest girl is 10). I was planning on making a whole celebration out of it by taking her out for ice cream maybe to the mall. Is that too much?

amother
Butterscotch  

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 6:54 pm
tree of life wrote:
Buy period underwear for her best invention

YES, I will buy this for my girls when its time.
I only discovered this when I was post partum and it saved me... ppl dont save money on this...

amother
Zinnia  

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 6:56 pm
tree of life wrote:
Buy period underwear for her best
invention

I still don’t understand how it works. Where does all the blood go. How does it not leak? How are you not sloshing around with blood in your undies?

amother
Catmint  

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:01 pm
honey36 wrote:
Almost there (oldest girl is 10). I was planning on making a whole celebration out of it by taking her out for ice cream maybe to the mall. Is that too much?

My oldest daughter just got hers less than a month ago. We talked about it for a while beforehand. Then when it happened I wished her mazel tov, and took her out to eat at the restaurant of her choosing. Got her supplies, a journal/planner to keep track, and oh! I still ha e to get her a cute bag to hold the stuff. You shoud make sure her bathroom garbage has a lid. Ended up I took her out of school for a special lunch celebration. It was nice and we didn't talk about anything serious, just enjoyed being together, then brought her back.

amother
  Butterscotch  

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:02 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
I still don’t understand how it works. Where does all the blood go. How does it not leak? How are you not sloshing around with blood in your undies?

its an adult pamper. works same way

here is the link I used post partum.
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-.....bia_t

amother
  Butterscotch  

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:05 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
My oldest daughter just got hers less than a month ago. We talked about it for a while beforehand. Then when it happened I wished her mazel tov, and took her out to eat at the restaurant of her choosing. Got her supplies, a journal/planner to keep track, and oh! I still ha e to get her a cute bag to hold the stuff. You shoud make sure her bathroom garbage has a lid. Ended up I took her out of school for a special lunch celebration. It was nice and we didn't talk about anything serious, just enjoyed being together, then brought her back.

so nice.... lucky girl.
my mother was more secretive and bashful about this whole thing. I was so closed about it.

patzer

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:05 pm
honey36 wrote:

Ice cream is an excellent idea. That's what my mother did for me, and I still remember it until today!
(Btw... we went for ice cream at Cyrk, in Monsey... do I seem very old to you now?)

amother
  Catmint

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:11 pm
amother Butterscotch wrote:
so nice.... lucky girl.
my mother was more secretive and bashful about this whole thing. I was so closed about it.

Thank you for the validation! I can't really talk about it in real life so...also, get the girls The Wonder of Becoming You by Dr Miriam Grossman. My mother got it for me as well.

amother
  Zinnia

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 7:12 pm
amother Butterscotch wrote:
its an adult pamper. works same way

here is the link I used post partum.
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-.....bia_t

So cool. I just bought a package. But how do the reusable ones works?
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics