Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Jewish business aren’t trying to deplete your finances
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Cheiny  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 12:49 pm
amother Broom wrote:
If people are actually willing to pay it, they have every right to charge that amount of money. That's how our economy is supposed to work, that stores charge as much as customers are willing to pay, and competition drives their prices down because customers aren't willing to pay more for something they can get for less.

I disagree that stores have a right to badly rip people off just because some are willing, or have no choice but to pay it. One large supermarket I know charges literally 3 times what other comparably sized supermarkets do on the same items. Their “sale” items are still much higher than everyday prices on the same items in other stores. I don’t think that’s ok.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 12:51 pm
amother Electricblue wrote:
The problem is that many Jewish consumers are made to feel guilty by not buying at the local mom and pop Jewish owned store.
The same person willing to spend more for convenience is also probably willing to spend more on a different brand.

Who is making Jewish consumers feel guilty?
You feel guilty when you buy a shabbos dress from Zara?

Does the thought cross your mind that you should really be purchasing such items at the Jewish boutiques?!

That’s very hard to believe.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 12:53 pm
Cheiny wrote:
I disagree that stores have a right to badly rip people off just because some are willing, or have no choice but to pay it. One large supermarket I know charges literally 3 times what other comparably sized supermarkets do on the same items. Their “sale” items are still much higher than everyday prices on the same items in other stores. I don’t think that’s ok.

I believe there is a halacha regarding this idea. Anyone have a source? Something about one not being allowed to charge such extreme prices.

It’s possible frum businesses aren’t keeping this halacha. But I can speak for myself and the many people I know who aren’t doing anything wrong

amother
cornflower  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 12:54 pm
amother Broom wrote:
If people are actually willing to pay it, they have every right to charge that amount of money. That's how our economy is supposed to work, that stores charge as much as customers are willing to pay, and competition drives their prices down because customers aren't willing to pay more for something they can get for less.

The issue is when the customers are not willing to pay the prices, but they're pressured or guilted into not making normal purchasing decisions.

This is true, but then don't guilt people into shopping there by saying we have to frequent jewish stores.

What I take issue with is the Jewish items that can only be found locally. Some companies manipulate their prices to obscene amounts because they know that we all need it, and that there is no place else to get them.

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 12:56 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
There’s a difference between having a boutique store with actual well made designer like stuff and charging for it (which 50% of Jewish stores are and that’s a whole other topic on the high standards in the community) and then there are boutique-like stores which sell stuff straight of ali express, shein, or temu with a 500% addition to the price. And that’s the issue people have because there are many frum stores that do that. And there’s no return policy. So we buy a lemon skirt for $75 that we shouldn’t have paid $10 for.

But why should this make anyone upset? Don’t shop there. It’s so simple.

If you want the lemon skirt for $10, order it on Ali and wait a month for it to come. If you want it today, get the $75 one. Or don’t buy it at all.

It’s annoying as a customer to constantly see such high prices, but in this ugly economy everyone is just trying to survive.

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 12:57 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I'm not buying super super expsnive Chinese stuff, sorry
But if you have stuff I want for a bit more, I may privilege you, especially shomer shabbes

At one point in my life, I was hired by an expensive frum children's clothing store to sew tags on to their items. I had to cut off the tags from a Chinese brand and sew on their expensive label.

An outfit they were selling for $44, my mother found on Ali for $8.

I'm not saying that every store does this. I'm sure there are many frum stores that have their own designs and factory runs. But instances like this are what turns people off from frum stores.

amother
  Electricblue

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 12:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
Who is making Jewish consumers feel guilty?
You feel guilty when you buy a shabbos dress from Zara?

Does the thought cross your mind that you should really be purchasing such items at the Jewish boutiques?!

That’s very hard to believe.

No, I don't feel guilty because I can't afford to pay the prices in Jewish stores. Sometimes I have no choice if I can't find something that's tznius to my standards and it infuriates me how the pricing is so high. And it's possible to have lower prices because stores like kidichic and Totini manage to do it.
Regardless, I was specifically referring to an exact same item.
There are lots of rabbanim that push to shop in Jewish businesses to support our community

amother
  cornflower

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 1:08 pm
amother OP wrote:

If you want the lemon skirt for $10, order it on Ali and wait a month for it to come. If you want it today, get the $75 one. Or don’t buy it at all.

It’s annoying as a customer to constantly see such high prices, but in this ugly economy everyone is just trying to survive.

The problem with this is that it sets a standard for the community. If store X has prices for $75, then a cheaper store would use that as gauge to set their prices. They can set their price to $55 and still be considered 'cheap'. But if the first store would set their price to 60, then the 2nd store would likely lower it to $45.

By consistently inflating the prices for the higher end, it creates a trend where the lower prices rise too. And that's where we are today. Our lower priced items are anything but cheap. It's only when you compare them with the higher end items, that one would think it's cheap.

lostmyoldSN

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 7:58 pm
amother Electricblue wrote:
No, I don't feel guilty because I can't afford to pay the prices in Jewish stores. Sometimes I have no choice if I can't find something that's tznius to my standards and it infuriates me how the pricing is so high. And it's possible to have lower prices because stores like kidichic and Totini manage to do it.
Regardless, I was specifically referring to an exact same item.
There are lots of rabbanim that push to shop in Jewish businesses to support our community

I have no clue about Tottini, but Kidichic isn't a mom and pop store. They have branches all over Israel. Davka, in Israel their clothes aren't even considered the cheapest. I rarely shop there until late enough in the season that there are good sales. Beginning of the season, I go elsewhere.

But anyway, comparing Kidichic to a regular frum brand isn't the same thing because it's a franchise I imagine (making that up), but it definitely has lots and lots of stores and not just the few in America.

mother’s spot

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 8:12 pm
You just need to know what you can afford, and not be embarrassed to shop non brand name.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 8:20 pm
amother Poppy wrote:
At one point in my life, I was hired by an expensive frum children's clothing store to sew tags on to their items. I had to cut off the tags from a Chinese brand and sew on their expensive label.

I'm not saying that every store does this. I'm sure there are many frum stores that have their own designs and factory runs. But instances like this are what turns people off from frum stores.

I buy from frum brands who stand behind their products and there’s a noticeable difference in fabric and quality.
For example my boys don’t give a hoot about trends or brands but they love LP tees and pjs because the fabric is buttery soft. Petit Clair also has deliciously soft fabric on some of their items. With time you learn what it pays to buy by whom. But labels don’t fool me.

amother
Aster

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 9:47 pm
amother Poppy wrote:

Wow, there’s nothing “frum” about this story.
Transgression of halachas all around..(you and them).

Cheiny  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 9:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
I believe there is a halacha regarding this idea. Anyone have a source? Something about one not being allowed to charge such extreme prices.

It’s possible frum businesses aren’t keeping this halacha. But I can speak for myself and the many people I know who aren’t doing anything wrong

I remember speaking to my Rov a few years ago about whether a Jew is obligated to patronize a Jewish business over a non Jewish one and he said if the non Jewish one is cheaper and it’s clear the Jewish one is overpriced you most certainly should go with the cheaper one…

Cheiny  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 9:56 pm
amother OP wrote:

If you’re admitting some are just clearly ripping people off with a huge markup, how can you say they’re just trying to survive?

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 9:57 pm
lostmyoldSN wrote:
I have no clue about Tottini, but Kidichic isn't a mom and pop store. They have branches all over Israel. Davka, in Israel their clothes aren't even considered the cheapest. I rarely shop there until late enough in the season that there are good sales. Beginning of the season, I go elsewhere.

But anyway, comparing Kidichic to a regular frum brand isn't the same thing because it's a franchise I imagine (making that up), but it definitely has lots and lots of stores and not just the few in America.

They are a mom and pop shop. 2 families own it. Just because they opened a few doesn’t make it not a mom and pop shop.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 9:59 pm
amother Aster wrote:

Agree. I would’ve wanted no part in helping them do something this krum.

amother
Bluebell

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 10:03 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
I could say the same thing with frum return policies. I run a small business returns center and a customer once complained that “Zara allows a 30-day return why can’t you give me more then a measly 8 day policy?”

Because we aren’t Zara dear customer. Simple. Every day you keep the item is a day we lose profit by not selling it when it’s hot.

Who has a 8 day return policy? Theres 1-2 days. Some stores even have a policy anything bought on Sunday is same day return. Im sorry, its crazy and its taking advantage of us. I wanted to buy something for my son he only comes home from cheider at 6 the store closes then. How do I know if it fits him? They expect me to buy something full price and not have the option to return? I dont want to hear about the ppl that take advantage and buy tonss of stuff on Sunday then return everything the next day thats why they need such return policies. Its just not fair. Give us minimum of 24 hrs.
The hoisery store, why do they care if I return a pair of tights 2 weeks after I bought it. They sell the same ones yr after yr. I once got such a nasty yelling about why I think they should take back a few pair of unopened tights. I simply bought my daughter the wrong size. I wasnt asking them to take back an opened pair.
Wtvr, I could go on and on.

amother
White

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 10:17 pm
amother Poppy wrote:

Okay, let's say the details are exactly as you described. That they are selling an $8 Ali outfit for $44.

But the store needs to pay for a storefront (including rent, utilities, taxes, and cleaning) and salaries for employees. They need to order a large stock, with the risk that they won't sell, in many different sizes and styles. They probably need to order a large amount of sample clothing to find some that will likely work. They need to take the risk that a style will not be as popular as they were hoping. They need to be prepared to sell any remaining stock at a significant discount. They need to account for some damage or loss which typically occur in a store setting. Often they need to accept responsibility if the product does not meet expectations. They have a fairly narrow market and can't rely on volume like a giant store can. Then they need to turn some profit for the owners who are the ones investing the time and money on a venture that may not succeed.

When you think about all of those costs, the markup is not as ridiculous.

Sure, you can buy the $8 Ali outfit. But you don't get the same convenience of being able to try it on in person, in multiple sizes, without laying out money, and purchase and bring it home immediately. You don't get a curated selection of outfits that are intended to work for a frum audience, where someone has previously vetted them for minimum quality standards and decent fabrics. You don't get the ambience that was set up for your benefit and to display that clothing at its best. When they put their label on it means that they are verifying that they stand behind this outfit.

There is a reason why people prefer to shop for clothing in stores, and a reason why there needs to be a significant markup to keep those stores in business.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 10:51 pm
Kidichic is a chain store. Even if you know the owners, that doesn't change what it is. It is not a mom and pop.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 9:12 am
amother Aster wrote:
It's totally a frum story btw.
I have a neighbor that owned a store on 13th Ave.
They got a great deal on some stretchies.
The prices reflected the cheap deal and no one bought them. No one!
She went and upped the price triple the amount and all of a sudden they were flying off the racks.
Go figure.
Some people don't want cheap.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics