Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Railing planters?

amother
OP  

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 1:50 pm
Put this under hobbies because I wasn't sure where... but it is a gardening question, I think...

My kitchen window looks onto my porch which becomes a succah. So any plants need to be easily portable, unless of course, they're done by Succos time.

But I realized that I'd like a nicer view than the succah lights sitting around (bec the kids are very nice about making sure the succah goes up, but nobody's really around when it's time to out away...)

I 'm thinking I could so some of those boxes that sit on the railing. And maybe some zucchini in pots, just for fun? I have a grandson who likes gardening, he'll come w me to Lowes to help me choose, I think.

Just looking for some ideas. What are easy care flowers? Let's say only need water when it doesnt rain for a few days.

( I did some last year in another spot that doesnt get rain, under an eave, didnt realize I had to water daily : ( so that was a flop...)

Is there such a thing as a gardening coach or consultant? That can save me from making bad choices?

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Jun 15 2024, 8:03 pm
Bumping for those who didn't see this before Shabbos. I wish Magenta Yenta was still here! (How many remember her?)

amother
Marigold

Post Sat, Jun 15 2024, 9:13 pm
Home grown kosher. Who also posts on here occasionally offers garden consultations

https://homegrownkosher.com/pages/links#

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 10:03 am
Thank you! Going to check that out!

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 1:29 pm
Okay, I did check out the site above. Pretty expensive, more for someone that wants to do a whole garden, I think.

SO, has anyone bought window boxes? I see that there are many types. Some sit on top of your railing, some are suspended on a hook type arranegment... The one that sits on top, with drainage holes, seems like it will ruin the railing with the moisture. OTOH it has the advantage of being visible from both sides.

I am doing this mainly for my view from inside (or when sitting on the deck), so I guess I can hang them on the inside vs the outside for the neighbors...

Also if we are sitting on the deck we don't want to attract a lot of bees, I assume... does it make a difference which type of flowers we plant?

Hoping someone here has some ideas...

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:17 am
Still looking for ideas for window boxes to put on my porch railings.

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:23 am
You might be better off going to a nursery that specializes in flowers and plants. speak to someone there. They usually have pots and soil that you can buy.
I would bring along a picture of the window and deck

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 11:08 am
Someone mentioned attaching the boxes (metal, pierced) with cable ties. I guess they have to be big enough to go around the railing... and will they be stable or kinda hanging out unevenly?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics