Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Degree, career choice regret?
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 10:33 am
Post-seminary career choice regrets? Lessons learned to pass on?

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 10:41 am
And followup question: if any, what degree is transferable to Israel?

nicole81  

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 10:49 am
Cybersecurity degree is transferrable.

amother
Acacia

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 11:01 am
nicole81 wrote:
Cybersecurity degree is transferrable.

You mentioned on another thread that you left education? Is that what you do now?

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 11:02 am
No regrets b”h. I advise everyone to actually research fields, more fields exist than students are aware of. I didn’t know mine existed until I was lucky enough to walk into it after college with tremendous siyata dishmaya. I’m in biotech and it was transferable.

amother
Crocus  

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 11:18 am
There are many US accounting/CPA jobs available in Israel. That said, it's my field and I highly regret going into it.

amother
Holly

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 11:31 am
amother Crocus wrote:
There are many US accounting/CPA jobs available in Israel. That said, it's my field and I highly regret going into it.

Why do you regret it?

amother
  Crocus

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 12:12 pm
amother Holly wrote:
Why do you regret it?

I personally find it very boring, and tax season hours are very difficult.

nicole81

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 12:14 pm
amother Acacia wrote:
You mentioned on another thread that you left education? Is that what you do now?

No, but it's what I'm pushing my 19 yeshiva bochur to do. He wants to stay in e"y.

amother
Steel  

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 12:47 pm
Law degree.

I went to a top ten law school - Law Review and Order of the Coif so I had a lot of job offers when I graduated.

I did 2 years at a Wall Street type of law firm which I hated.

I then practiced in corporations in fields that were interesting to me - eg in house for publishing, software and other intellectual property type of companies.

It is interesting - hours were pretty good since I am a very efficient worker so could get things done quickly so very rarely had a time crunch - only when there was a major deadline but that was rare.

I also have very flexible hours in terms of the reality although technically it is 9 to 6ish. So long as I get work done and am present for meetings and available to discuss issues with other departments, nobody cares if I slipping out for a few hours because I need to be somewhere else.

Pay is pretty good - benefits are excellent because I work for large corporations for the most part. Co-workers are smart and generally collegial atmosphere.

The nice thing about a law degree is that you can use it even if you don't want to litigate or have to deal with billable hours. As an in house corporate attorney - especially for the kinds of businesses I have worked with - you also act as a business advisor because you need to understand the needs of the other departments you are working with.

amother
  OP

Post Fri, Jun 14 2024, 8:48 pm
amother Steel wrote:
Law degree.

I went to a top ten law school - Law Review and Order of the Coif so I had a lot of job offers when I graduated.

I did 2 years at a Wall Street type of law firm which I hated...

I am assuming you are not in Israel? If you are, do you work remotely?

essie14

Post Sat, Jun 15 2024, 2:31 pm
Zero regrets.
I got a degree in computer science in the US and got a job super quickly when I made aliyah.

amother
Waterlily

Post Sat, Jun 15 2024, 2:51 pm
amother OP wrote:

I don't really have any advice apart from if you realise that what you have started is not for you .....change!!!
I realised right from the first semester that what I had chosen wasn't for me but I pushed myself to finish because I thought it would grow on me. But it never did. I graduated, got too super busy with life to be able to even think about going back to school and was stuck in a career I have never enjoyed. I am in Israel, and B"H , never had a problem finding a job but now I am so burned out from it and I'm not sure what else I can do. So, whatever it is you end up doing, just listen to your gut.

Rappel

Post Sat, Jun 15 2024, 3:00 pm
In Israel:

I'm still wandering Smile no regrets, but no high-powered career recommendations either.

However: I've noticed that nurses have a great work-life balance in general, and can adjust their careers around mom-life with great ease. If I were to give my young and foolish self advice, I'd go back and do that

amother
Quince

Post Sat, Jun 15 2024, 8:19 pm
Rappel wrote:
In Israel:

I'm still wandering Smile no regrets, but no high-powered career recommendations either.

However: I've noticed that nurses have a great work-life balance in general, and can adjust their careers around mom-life with great ease. If I were to give my young and foolish self advice, I'd go back and do that

I’m a nurse who lives in Israel and I regret my career choice. A nurses salary is pretty low, yes working night shifts and Shabbos does raise it but it’s not practical with kids at home. I’m looking into working in the tech industry because of the pay and hours

justforfun87

Post Sat, Jun 15 2024, 9:58 pm
amother Quince wrote:
I’m a nurse who lives in Israel and I regret my career choice. A nurses salary is pretty low, yes working night shifts and Shabbos does raise it but it’s not practical with kids at home. I’m looking into working in the tech industry because of the pay and hours

How do you get into tech industry from nursing? I'm a nurse wanting to make aliyah but have no interest continuing nursing.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 12:25 am
amother OP wrote:

I've found working as a self employed attorney provides great flexibility and the pay can be decent. If you're willing to get a master's degree after college, a law degree is just one year more than a master's (plus the bar).

Regarding Israel, there is currently a push in NY to get rid of the requirement for NY lawyers to have a NY address. We'll see what happens.

amother
  Steel  

Post Sun, Jun 16 2024, 1:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am assuming you are not in Israel? If you are, do you work remotely?

I am not in Israel - the thread wasn't geographic specific.

In my personal experience, being an in-house attorney for a corporation doesn't lend itself to being completely remote although obviously some work can be done at home with modern technology. If I am drafting or reviewing a contract, I can draft at home for the most part. However, sometimes it is hard because one wants to consult files which might not be all on line or wants to look at other contracts to see how something was handled - again these might not be on-line at home.

As I wrote - at least in my experience - in-house attorneys are more than just "attorneys" as they are generally part of the high level "executive" team and work very close with the heads and senior staff of Finance, Product Development, Sales, Marketing etc.

Working remotely would be more equivalent to being a regular attorney who works on specific projects as assigned.

amother
Oldlace

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 4:29 pm
I regret becoming a nurse. I was not anticipating the issues with colleagues (bullying, favoritism, dishonesty, jockeying for positions), etc etc. I decided to switch to school nursing. Hours are decreased. I have way more free time and vacations. It’s much easier to take sick days. I get way better health insurance (despite having my hospital’s insurance in the past). I am grateful I found this or I would have left the field completely.

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 7:49 pm
amother Steel wrote:
Law degree.

I did 2 years at a Wall Street type of law firm which I hated.

I then practiced in corporations in fields that were interesting to me - eg in house for publishing, software and other intellectual property type of companies.

It is interesting - hours were pretty good since I am a very efficient worker so could get things done quickly so very rarely had a time crunch - only when there was a major deadline but that was rare.

I also have very flexible hours in terms of the reality although technically it is 9 to 6ish. So long as I get work done and am present for meetings and available to discuss issues with other departments, nobody cares if I slipping out for a few hours because I need to be somewhere else.

Pay is pretty good - benefits are excellent because I work for large corporations for the most part. Co-workers are smart and generally collegial atmosphere.

The nice thing about a law degree is that you can use it even if you don't want to litigate or have to deal with billable hours. As an in house corporate attorney - especially for the kinds of businesses I have worked with - you also act as a business advisor because you need to understand the needs of the other departments you are working with.

I don't understand. OP's question was about degrees you regret getting. Do you regret getting your law degree?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics