Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Social work school
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jun 06 2024, 1:38 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:
Of course not that's crazy as a requirement for an undergraduate.

I just don't understand a program that would be graduating someone at 20 and have them doing counseling.

They graduate the undergraduate program at 20, and would finish the masters program at 22

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jun 06 2024, 2:21 pm
I'm sorry that your daughter had to go through what she did. Sadly some of the people at the top are bullies -with behavior that is unethical and borders on illegal. Unfortunately I know of too many people who left the program due to terrible harrassment. If they like you, you are golden. Once you do something that they decide is not in their best interests, they will make your life miserable. I spoke to a very well known posek who was shocked at what went on there and actually told me to sue them. I think your daughter dodged a bullet. Please remind her that they don't deserve her!

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jun 06 2024, 2:25 pm
Tell her to look into Touro and YU instead.
What a horrible experience. So rude and unprofessional.

Cheiny  

Post Thu, Jun 06 2024, 2:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
There’s much to be said here. Encouraging yes, and at some point along this journey they should. But your typical frum girl at 20 only has been to therapy if she had some real significant struggles. It’s not the norm
If you don’t want 20 year old students why is your undergraduate social work program producing them? Like what are they supposed to do when they graduate college at 19-20? This IS the time to go to grad school. Before you have expenses and obligations of motherhood etc. And yes I would trust a 22 year old social worker with certain things, not with others. But still no excuse for making girls feel awful and shamed. And to ask such personal invasive questions that you wouldn’t even ask a therapy client right away isn’t really right.

Wouldn’t you be better served if you took this issue straight to the higher ups at Sara Schenirer and get answers for yourself?

This is bizarre because my friend is doing their social work program and she said almost her entire class is comprised of recent seminary grads.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Jun 06 2024, 2:39 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:
The clinical psychologists I know - whether they are PHD's or did graduate work specifically for counseling all had mandatory therapy as part of the process.

There are all kinds of jobs that social workers do. For example many social workers are with CPS or other benefit programs and they don't need therapy because they don't provide therapy for their clients.

Anyone who wants to be a therapist of some kind absolutely needs to have undergone therapy themselves if only to better understand themselves.

I can't imagine any 20 year old - whether married or single or divorced who has the emotional maturity and life experience to actually provide therapy to an adult.

Agree.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jun 06 2024, 2:47 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Wouldn’t you be better served if you took this issue straight to the higher ups at Sara Schenirer and get answers for yourself?

This is bizarre because my friend is doing their social work program and she said almost her entire class is comprised of recent seminary grads.

I don’t want to compromise her application by pursuing this at this point! But I will at some point!
Are you referring to her class of their undergrad social work program, or the actual masters program?

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Jun 06 2024, 6:00 pm
Sorry but age means nothing about abilities or capabilities as a therapist.
I am a licensed therapist with years of experience, been licensed a long time. I work somewhere where there are a lot of practicum students gaining experience and training.
Age is a joke. We have one frum lady sas a practicum intern who is older than I am and a complete incompetent and idiot. I am not sure where to start about how awful she is. Can't write notes. Doesn't understand ethics and boundaries. Doesn't understand interpersonal relationships. Unethically trying to inflate her hours, Doesnt understand what therapy is- we aren't trying to force people to act in a specific way, force our ideals on them, be their friend.... (difference between being friendly and a friend). I could keep going.
I am not her direct supervisor so can't kick her out or insist on anything but I wish I could.
She has "life experience" in a related field. I tried helping her multiple times and she lectured me that she knew best. Um, what?!?

I would stay far far away from this lady.

But she presents well in terms of the criteria I assume SS would love (not sure which school she is in).

At the same time, a young 23 or so year old (about) intern we have is amazing. Thoughtful, asks questions, has appropriate boundaries, conscientious, gets paperwork and notes done on time and correctly, and understands what therapy is. I can expect great things from her.

amother
  Acacia  

Post Thu, Jun 06 2024, 6:10 pm
amother Copper wrote:
I'm sorry that your daughter had to go through what she did. Sadly some of the people at the top are bullies -with behavior that is unethical and borders on illegal. Unfortunately I know of too many people who left the program due to terrible harrassment. If they like you, you are golden. Once you do something that they decide is not in their best interests, they will make your life miserable. I spoke to a very well known posek who was shocked at what went on there and actually told me to sue them. I think your daughter dodged a bullet. Please remind her that they don't deserve her!

Yes your experience is unfortunately very common

amother
  Acacia  

Post Thu, Jun 06 2024, 6:13 pm
I’ve heard from multiple people about the experiences that they had from sw. They are known to be obnoxious by their interview. That’s why I didn’t even attempt to have an interview with them. I did the new seminary and I loved it. I am 22 years old and I have a great job as a social worker.

amother
Kiwi  

Post Thu, Jun 06 2024, 6:20 pm
Please tell her to look into touro or the new seminary. I had a really crazy experience with them. I’m now in their program and although the classes are great, I wish I went elsewhere.

amother
Tomato

Post Thu, Jun 06 2024, 6:26 pm
That is unfortunately common for the interview process... and as a SS SW grad, I can tell you that the admin is not necessarily a reflection of what her experience will be in the school, I had one run in with them over the two years in the program, but the professors are all respectful and great. Also, I was married when I started the program, but most of my class was single...

amother
  Kiwi

Post Thu, Jun 06 2024, 6:30 pm
I definitely agree with tomato. It’s not what the classes are like. The only issue that could come up is when it comes to field. Depending who your field planner is… otherwise the classes and professors are great.

amother
Forestgreen  

Post Thu, Jun 06 2024, 6:33 pm
amother Acacia wrote:
I’ve heard from multiple people about the experiences that they had from sw. They are known to be obnoxious by their interview. That’s why I didn’t even attempt to have an interview with them. I did the new seminary and I loved it. I am 22 years old and I have a great job as a social worker.

What’s your job now?

amother
  Acacia  

Post Thu, Jun 06 2024, 6:35 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
What’s your job now?

I am a social worker in a in patient clinic. I work 30 hours a week and get paid $60,000. I think that’s great for someone who is 23

true me

Post Thu, Jun 06 2024, 10:48 pm
amother Acacia wrote:

Did you do the new seminary with LIU, or with Adelphi? I am looking into their program and I would like to hear from someone who did it since they partner with Adelphi.

amother
  Acacia

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 7:34 am
true me wrote:
Did you do the new seminary with LIU, or with Adelphi? I am looking into their program and I would like to hear from someone who did it since they partner with Adelphi.

LIU. It was amazing. I have a great job, at the age of 23. I work in an inpatient and I am making $60,000. And this is my first job Smile. I think that they are a high quality program.

Touro is also known to be really good!

amother
Denim  

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 8:32 am
My therapist went to SS and she graduated young. I wonder why they accepted her

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 8:34 am
amother Denim wrote:
My therapist went to SS and she graduated young. I wonder why they accepted her

I think as they e gotten more popular they are now in a position to be more discriminating of who they accept.

amother
  Denim

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 8:37 am
amother OP wrote:
I think as they e gotten more popular they are now in a position to be more discriminating of who they accept.

I think she was the second graduating class so it makes sense.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 9:26 am
Call me extreme but I would never want somebody who has never been in therapy themselves to be my therapist.

If someone never had a struggle/issue in their life that warranted therapy- how would they ever understand ME?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics