Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Crowdsourcing our floor plan

amother
OP  

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 9:35 am
Hi Smile

I previously started a thread asking if we should hire a designer for our renovation or plan it on our own. I think in the end we will go with a designer at some stage as well, but someone on that thread suggested posting the floor plan here and gathering suggestions, and I love that idea. So if this is at all interesting to you, I would welcome your input!

This is what we currently have:

Our goals:
4 bedrooms (one master and three kid bedrooms, at least one of which can fit two beds without using bunk beds)
ideally 3 bathrooms (including one master), but we can scrape by on two bathrooms (with at least one having a bathtub) and the hope of an additional (master) bathroom as an addition outside at some future time.
also we need a laundry room that's bigger than what they already have now, with room to actually do/hang laundry in there.

Additional notes:
the living room is really big and beautiful and we don't want to shrink it, even though on the surface that's the easiest way to add a bedroom (also I don't think bedrooms directly off of the main living space are very pleasant to live in).
remember that the measurements here are in centimeters. for reference an Israeli twin size mattress is 200 cm long.
another thing to keep in mind: even though there are no closets, we still need places to put things.

Thank you, to anyone who takes the time to understand and offer any ideas!

If you have any questions please ask. I didn't verbally explain the current floor plan because I'm not sure my explanation would be clear enough, but I would be happy to explain or describe anything.

teachkids  

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 9:45 am
Are the walls already built? Because all those strange corners are going to be a pain to furnish

teachkids

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 9:47 am
Also it's strange to have a bedroom's bathroom open to the backyard unless I'm misreading the diagram.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 11:31 am
yes those walls are already built. and yes the strange angles and curves will make it a challenge to furnish. (exterior walls can’t be moved.) so that’s part of why I’m considering completely repurposing some of the rooms—to get as many possible rectangles for bedrooms.

and yes that bathroom opens out to the yard. you’re not misunderstanding. there’s sort of a wraparound yard/patio/garden that it opens onto.

4health  

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 11:47 am
My first thought is to add some kind of closed porch off of laundry room like an enclosed aluminum framed structure with windows for expanding laundry area

4health

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 12:00 pm
I am wondering if you are able to create a 4th bedroom by taking a part of the square hallway and taking off some from the other two bedrooms that are adjacent to it.
The measurements are not so clear when enlarged.
I highly recommend you invest some money in changing the floor plan before any renovations. It’s relatively inexpensive and makes a huge difference

dena613  

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 12:02 pm
I have friendz who were very happy with using yael wiesner.

dena613

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 12:07 pm
I don't know how you can fit another bedroom without pushing the kitchen in toward the living room, but you said you don't want to lose living space... And also it looks like the front door opens into the kitchen. So scratch thwt.
I don't think you could do anything to this apt if not extending, without losing living room space

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Jun 07 2024, 12:18 pm
If you split the bedroom sticking out on the left into 2, would that give 2 single bedrooms? It would be the easiest room to add a door and split the room. I can't read the measurements to know the exact sizes to know if that would work.
Is the laundry room the one at the top on the left? I would either consider whether I can build out, or to shrink the bathroom to make more space.

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Jun 08 2024, 3:39 pm
4health wrote:
My first thought is to add some kind of closed porch off of laundry room like an enclosed aluminum framed structure with windows for expanding laundry area

thanks! that was my first thought too, but we've been advised to do nothing at all that will show outside at this point. but also, in the place where the laundry room is now, you can't tell from the plan that I posted but once you get outside there's only a little landing and then a flight of stairs to another level... so it couldn't really add very much.

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Jun 08 2024, 3:44 pm
4health wrote:
I am wondering if you are able to create a 4th bedroom by taking a part of the square hallway and taking off some from the other two bedrooms that are adjacent to it.
The measurements are not so clear when enlarged.
I highly recommend you invest some money in changing the floor plan before any renovations. It’s relatively inexpensive and makes a huge difference

thank you! that was actually one of my first thoughts--to use that little square hallway in some way. it's hard to make it into another bedroom completely because then it would leave the bedroom behind it with no way to access it. also, I realized that that spot is meant to be sort of a "walk through closet" for the bedroom behind it (which is intended to be the master bedroom--and I think we'll use it as such because it really is the nicest and biggest) and so using the closet for it's intended purpose will also work really well because there really isn't room for two beds plus a closet in there (it was designed to hold just one bed...). basically the intelligence of that design grew on me.

yes definitely I'm working on floor plan first, before anything else.

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Jun 08 2024, 3:44 pm
dena613 wrote:
I have friendz who were very happy with using yael wiesner.

thank you so much for that tip! I will get in touch with her G-d willing

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Jun 08 2024, 3:46 pm
dena613 wrote:
I don't know how you can fit another bedroom without pushing the kitchen in toward the living room, but you said you don't want to lose living space... And also it looks like the front door opens into the kitchen. So scratch thwt.
I don't think you could do anything to this apt if not extending, without losing living room space

yeah also if we push the kitchen in towards the living room, it would be complicated with the window that's in the kitchen now.... you'd end up with a wall in middle of where the window is or something.

thanks for thinking this over with me!

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Jun 08 2024, 3:52 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
If you split the bedroom sticking out on the left into 2, would that give 2 single bedrooms? It would be the easiest room to add a door and split the room. I can't read the measurements to know the exact sizes to know if that would work.
Is the laundry room the one at the top on the left? I would either consider whether I can build out, or to shrink the bathroom to make more space.

I'm not sure what you mean by the bedroom sticking out on the left... do you mean the one with two rounded corners?

yes the laundry room is at the top on the left--like it has an acute angled corner there. If we take from the bathroom to make it bigger, it will leave the bathroom with a strange shape--which would maybe be okay, but I'm thinking actually to make that bathroom (which is large for a bathroom and otherwise a perfect rectangle) into a bedroom. and then the bedroom that is on that side of the house, that also has angled wall and not a great shape for a bedroom, into a bathroom and part of the laundry room... like to break down that wall that's between them and reconfigure.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Jun 08 2024, 5:16 pm
OP-

Can you edit your image? You need to whiteout the top right corner as it has information that should be kept private. (Sorry, I would pm you but you are anon...)

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Jun 09 2024, 4:01 pm
Edited, thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating