Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
South Africa - Cape Town
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 8:37 am
Has anyone gone there for vacation?

I'm thinking of going there in the summer and any information would be helpful!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 8:47 am
amother OP wrote:
Has anyone gone there for vacation?

I'm thinking of going there in the summer and any information would be helpful!
just remember that their summer is your winter, unless you are from autralia Smile

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 8:59 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
just remember that their summer is your winter, unless you are from autralia Smile

Right, but it's still not cold, correct?

amother
Indigo  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 9:02 am
It's definitely quieter than in December, Cape Town weather can be cool and rainy so go prepared, much warmer than NY winter though. I don't know much about Cape Town but if you're planning to come to Joburg or if you're going to Kruger I can help you a little more. Joburg is cool and sunny very rarely rains in July or August.

amother
Mauve  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 9:07 am
I've been there multiple times during their winter. It can get rainy and windy but nothing compared to a northern hemisphere winter. We've never needed more than sweatshirts.

There's so much to do!

Tons of beaches and mountain viewpoints.

Babylonstoren to pick fruit and walk in the fields.

Reptile preserve right across from babylonstoren to see snakes and alligators and even hold them. Can also rent fishing rods there and go fishing.

Alpaca loom to learn about alpacas and pet and feed them.

Drakensburg lion preserve to see them feed the lions (used to be 4 pm maybe on Mondays? Look online to check the times).

Cornellskop (a bit further out) is the only place we've found that lets kids pet cheetahs. Other places have a minimum ahead age of 14.

Walk on the V&A waterfront and see the sights. There's always action, music playing, people performing, etc. Also go on the cape wheel at the waterfront for amazing views.

Shimansky diamond museum to see how they mine, cut, and polish diamonds.

Township tours if you are interested in his the black ppl there live crowded in the townships (it's really sad and horrifying).

Boulders beach to see the penguins.

You can go to hermanus to go whale watching (if it's the right season, I forget) but I don't recommend it because most people get really seasick on the boats

There's tons more, go on TripAdvisor to see what they recommend.

Enjoy!!

amother
  Mauve  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 9:10 am
There's also tons of kosher food and takeout available for cheap. Checkers and spar (two big not kosher grocery stores) both have big kosher sections with fresh food. For fleishig you can go to The Press or Avrons. For milchik there's Cafe Riteve (not cholov Yisroel).

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 9:12 am
Amother Mauve, would you say it's worth it to go with a baby?

I know that limits some of the activities such as safaris, etc

amother
  Mauve  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 9:37 am
amother OP wrote:
Amother Mauve, would you say it's worth it to go with a baby?

I know that limits some of the activities such as safaris, etc

We've done it with all ages kids, including toddlers (don't remember if we ever had infants at those points).
You can't take a child on a public/group safari but you can still hire a private safari driver. It can work, but keep in mind you'll be sitting in the safari jeep for hours so if you have a colicky baby who needs to be walked etc it might not be the best idea.
There are still tons of activities to do even without safaris (see my post above).

giftedmom  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 9:54 am
Table mountain at sunset is not to be missed. Life changing!

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 2:47 pm
Is it safe?
I've heard Johannesburg isn't so safe

amother
  Mauve

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 4:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is it safe?

It's similar safety-wise to Joburg. Every house has huge fences and private security. But I've been there multiple times and never had any incidents BH and didn't feel unsafe walking to shul etc

amother
Nemesia

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 4:34 pm
Cape Town is safer than joburg.
Do you have time to do the garden route? It’s amazing!
We did Cape Town with a baby, used the baby carrier a lot. Was totally fine!
We didn’t do a major safari because the baby was too young to get malaria pills and I was nervous. The risk is in more remote areas.

amother
  Indigo

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 2:48 am
amother OP wrote:
Is it safe?

The Jewish areas in Johannesburg have a lot of security and are considered safe. But whether you are in CT or Joburg you should take certain safety measure like don't wear flashy or obviously expensive jewelry, wear your pocketbook in front of you and don't walk alone in quiet or deserted areas, I.e don't hang around quiet beaches.
I would also recommend you stay at a hotel or lodge with security, I.e don't book a random airbnb unless you the area.

Johannesburg is definitely worth a visit! It's just a really beautiful community. There's not a lot of sightseeing to do though, mostly historical. Apartheid Museum is excellent and there a tours of Soweto if you'd like to see the culture. If you aren't going to Kruger than it's a 2+ hour drive to Pilanesberg - a smaller big 5 game reserve.

amother
Feverfew

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 3:05 am
Someone mentioned on another thread about South Africa against Israel.... Why give your money at such places?!

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 6:44 am
Ive been to Cape town during the winter, it's mostly ok but we had lots of rainy and overcast days. Its not cold though.
We weren't there with any kids.

giftedmom

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 8:56 am
amother Nemesia wrote:
Cape Town is safer than joburg.
Do you have time to do the garden route? It’s amazing!
We did Cape Town with a baby, used the baby carrier a lot. Was totally fine!
We didn’t do a major safari because the baby was too young to get malaria pills and I was nervous. The risk is in more remote areas.

You don’t need them in pilansberg

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jun 02 2024, 9:02 am
@amother Nemesia,
Any chance you have your itinerary written down?

I'm trying to see if it's worth it to go with a baby, if we'll be able to get the full experience.
I would love to see what you were able to do with a baby.

amother
Ghostwhite  

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 3:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
@amother Nemesia,
Any chance you have your itinerary written down?

I'm trying to see if it's worth it to go with a baby, if we'll be able to get the full experience.
I would love to see what you were able to do with a baby.

I’m from South Africa, definitely doable with a baby, welcome to ask any questions

amother
Poppy

Post Wed, Jul 03 2024, 4:34 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
There's also tons of kosher food and takeout available for cheap. Checkers and spar (two big not kosher grocery stores) both have big kosher sections with fresh food. For fleishig you can go to The Press or Avrons. For milchik there's Cafe Riteve (not cholov Yisroel).

Cafe riteve will tell which items are cholev yisroel and which aren't. They have separate keilim for the cholev yisroel items. They also suggested that my husband come into the kitchen to light the pizza oven for pas yisroel because the mashgiach wasn't there at the moment.

The food was delicious and cheap.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 04 2024, 4:21 am
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
I’m from South Africa, definitely doable with a baby, welcome to ask any questions

Thanks! Are you from Cape Town?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics