Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Taking a course I didn’t gain from

amother
OP  

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 7:00 pm
I have taken many courses over my life for parenting, Marriage etc. I always felt like these courses were basically worth their money and that some even undercharged. This year I took a course that was very pricey however, I really needed to learn more about issues with a certain child so I was happy to pay. I really feel like the course was not worth the money, the classes themselves were quick short videos that if I added up all the time was probably a few hours and a forum that had very little discussion, interaction and the teacher barely ever responded to questions or interacted sometimes I had questions that were so important for me to get answers on. She never really replied. I’m wondering that as the course nears the end, if I could mention something to the teacher. I really feel taken advantage of ( I have a lot of experience in these type of courses so I kind of know what to expect) I guess I’m wondering if others have had a similar situation and what they did.

Einikel

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 7:14 pm
That's disappointing!
Definitely share your feedback. If she's serious about her course she should appreciate constructive feedback.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 7:18 pm
Einikel wrote:
That's disappointing!
Definitely share your feedback. If she's serious about her course she should appreciate constructive feedback.

Thank you. this is kind of what I’m leaning to. I feel like telling her that the course was great if it was half the price she charged. At half the price I’d say it was worth it. At the price she charged I’m just downright upset.

English3

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 7:22 pm
If you are contacting her because you want money back she wont listen to you.

If you tell her all the points which you enjoyed from the course and what you feel needs more work on she will listen as she wont feel attacked.

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 7:22 pm
I don't think you should tell her how much to charge - I think you should come from the angle of what you feel

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 7:29 pm
English3 wrote:
If you are contacting her because you want money back she wont listen to you.

If you tell her all the points which you enjoyed from the course and what you feel needs more work on she will listen as she wont feel attacked.

I guess I’d tell her she needs to add content and be more involved.

amother
Peru

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 7:38 pm
op I know this isn't the point of your thread but would you be willing to share which courses you DID find worth it, particularly which ones you felt were worth MORE then they charged?
Thanks!

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:18 pm
I had that. I totally felt cheated. Just feel and move on. It's not worth it. Every time you pay for something. You take a risk and some things are good and some things are duds.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:32 pm
I bought a course once by a therapist and even though it was a lot for me at the time I felt I was getting a good deal bec supposedly she was going to add modules to the courses over time and charge more for the course as time went by, but if you bought now, you’d get it all included at the price you paid now, so more value for the cheaper price.
She never added anything 🤷‍♀️
She also did interviews with people where she repeated many of her modules that I paid for. Not all but a lot was all out there for free.
I did gain from the course but I definitely felt funny about it.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:33 pm
I had that experience as well. I did let the person know in detail that I felt deceived and did not get what was being offered. The person tried defending themselves and said so many people like the course and forum... I kind of said I don't feel that way and I guess we each feel differently and backed off for shalom. But it was very disappointing. My husband was very upset about it- felt like the person was very deceptive and false advertising...

amother
Cognac  

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 9:31 pm
I also had a course I was really unhappy about . I tried talking about it - but it didn’t seem they wanted to know. I guess I think in the future I would just move on unless the course had a feedback page then I would give my bad feedback. I think you just win some and lose some…

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jun 17 2024, 10:31 pm
Think I was on the same course as you....

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 7:30 am
amother Cognac wrote:
I also had a course I was really unhappy about . I tried talking about it - but it didn’t seem they wanted to know. I guess I think in the future I would just move on unless the course had a feedback page then I would give my bad feedback. I think you just win some and lose some…

I hate being that person and I never thought I would but this course actually had a feedback email and I was honest with my opinions. I felt badly giving the negative feedback but I was hoping maybe the instructor would reach out to me and offer a partial refund. That didn't happen lol. It bothers me so much that I spent all that money ... It's also weird because by the closing class so many people were thanking the teacher and saying how much they gained. I guess its is just my perception.

amother
  Cognac  

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 9:06 am
amother OP wrote:
I hate being that person and I never thought I would but this course actually had a feedback email and I was honest with my opinions. I felt badly giving the negative feedback but I was hoping maybe the instructor would reach out to me and offer a partial refund. That didn't happen lol. It bothers me so much that I spent all that money ... It's also weird because by the closing class so many people were thanking the teacher and saying how much they gained. I guess its is just my perception.

What is wrong with leaving bad feedback- you don’t have to feel bad. Maybe next time you can also explicitly write in the feedback that you would feel better about it if you received a partial feedback- like communicate that to her.
I’m not surprised that other ppl said they said it. Some ppl are just dumb or they just want to feel good about the money they spent so they convince themselves it was so good and helpful - this way they didn’t waste their money in their heads- it’s pretty wild because there is no accountability, no place to rate such courses and innocent naive ppl will take the course believing what the course creator said and absolutely nothing happens to them when their course is bad. They will still manage to get new naive ppl by convincing or tricking them into it playing on peoples vulnerabilities. I took an “inner child” course. It was so beyond pathetic of a waste of money, it was word for word what was in the book she used…. Some ppl liked it because perhaps they felt accountability to read the book? Personally I don’t need to pay tons of money to have accountability to read / do exercises from a dumb book.
I wish there was a website where we could all leave reviews of every Jewish course there is out there so people can make informed decisions when spending tons of money. I wish Releif/ ohel would do that for therapists / coaches/ courses- ofcourse it would be way too political tho and “lashon hara” so trusting ppl will just keep wasting their money instead….. I personally just feel like you win some you lose some and I just go on and don’t take courses unless was really recommended by a friend…

amother
  Cognac

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 9:09 am
amother Cognac wrote:
What is wrong with leaving bad feedback- you don’t have to feel bad. Maybe next time you can also explicitly write in the feedback that you would feel better about it if you received a partial feedback- like communicate that to her.
I’m not surprised that other ppl said they said it. Some ppl are just dumb or they just want to feel good about the money they spent so they convince themselves it was so good and helpful - this way they didn’t waste their money in their heads- it’s pretty wild because there is no accountability, no place to rate such courses and innocent naive ppl will take the course believing what the course creator said and absolutely nothing happens to them when their course is bad. They will still manage to get new naive ppl by convincing or tricking them into it playing on peoples vulnerabilities. I took an “inner child” course. It was so beyond pathetic of a waste of money, it was word for word what was in the book she used…. Some ppl liked it because perhaps they felt accountability to read the book? Personally I don’t need to pay tons of money to have accountability to read / do exercises from a dumb book.
I wish there was a website where we could all leave reviews of every Jewish course there is out there so people can make informed decisions when spending tons of money. I wish Releif/ ohel would do that for therapists / coaches/ courses- ofcourse it would be way too political tho and “lashon hara” so trusting ppl will just keep wasting their money instead….. I personally just feel like you win some you lose some and I just go on and don’t take courses unless was really recommended by a friend…

Edit to say - if you received partial refund- not feedback…
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics