Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
S/o stuff you misunderstood as a little kid
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Seashell  

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 6:51 am
I thought we were inside the globe and not outside. I thought you can walk and walk and then bump into the wall of the world. TMI
I was never told that this is not the case. I remember being super confused in earth science class. as a teen I somehow figured it out on my own. for all I know I'm still wrong. Very Happy

dankbar  

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:01 am
Well we all thought boogeyman monsters live in the cellar.
And bears in the incinerator.
And if you open up an umbrella at home, it will rain at your wedding.
And if you stand when you eat you'll have fat feet
If you eat a Watermelon seed that you'll grow fruit trees in your stomach
If you drop a piece of a fingernail on floor you'll need to go collecting all nails when moshiach comes
If you go over a person they will stop growing
And we grew up on chadele badele stories
If you lie, your nose will grow like pinocchio
My mom can read on our foreheads if we lied, like it's written on there.

All these shtissim we were fed

Last edited by dankbar on Wed, May 15 2024, 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burntblack  

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:01 am
giselle wrote:
Words I misread as a kid -
Unshed - pronounced unchd
Ridiculous - pronounced ridishulous (no idea why as I knew the word ridiculous ?!)
Misled - myzuld (according to social media this is a common one)
Probably some more that I can’t recall

I won't say how old I was when I discovered mishap is mis-hap, not with a shin sound in the middle, but I already had a couple of kids.

dankbar  

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:07 am
When my neighbor told me about cats that gave birth to kittens, they just like have bm and they come out, and people do the sane, and I asked my mom, and she said, do you think we are cats?

amother
Cyclamen

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:15 am
When my son was in the hospital with illness, and was watching Uncle Moishy dvds and then when Uncle Moishy came to my home to celebrate his 5th bday, he was amazed to see that its a real person and how did he walk out of the screen?

And how did the people in the audio cassetes/cds get in there?

And my kids used to show bubby on the wire phones their antics and thought she can see, if she can hear why can't she see

dankbar

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:21 am
When we went to visit my mom, at the hospital, all dressed up in Purim costumes, after she gave birth, she asked us who are these policemen and kallahs here?

We were so gullible. I told my bro, look how well we dressed up, even our own mother doesn't recognize us.

amother
Opal

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:33 am
amother Burntblack wrote:
I won't say how old I was when I discovered mishap is mis-hap, not with a shin sound in the middle, but I already had a couple of kids.

Just the other week we were discussing this word and DD said its mi-shap like when something is all mished up. She was quite astounded to learn the correct pronunciation.

The first time I heard the expression 'she pinned him against the wall' I imagined a literal drawing pin being pierced through someone's forehead into the wall. I thought either it was a really long pin or the forehead was somehow flattened but in any case I was very disturbed. I don't know why I never asked for an explanation but I believed that for a long time.

Also we always learned that crumbs are chometz. For years I was always terrified of making matza crumbs on pesach and I really couldn't understand how everyone else was so relaxed about the matza crumbs all over the table

amother
Taupe  

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:38 am
I heard somewhere about the dangers of drinking and driving. I was terrified every time my mother drank coffee when driving. LOL

peace2

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:44 am
Here’s an embarrassing one: I used to imagine Hashem looked like the face on the cover of the taboo box- like it was His face and He looked down at us from the sky like that

amother
Jasmine

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:54 am
amother Cobalt wrote:
That a broken arm or leg meant the limb had fallen off, like when my dolls limb "broke". A cast, of course, helped special glue keep the limb in place as it reconnected...

Me too!!! Broken arms and legs FREAKED me out!

sushilover

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:56 am
I could not figure out how drug stores got away with advertising their illegal activities. Like why wouldn't they try to hide the fact that they sell drugs?

imthatawesome  

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 8:06 am
peace2 wrote:
Here’s an embarrassing one: I used to imagine Hashem looked like the face on the cover of the taboo box- like it was His face and He looked down at us from the sky like that

Ooh my aunt had a picture of the chofetz chaim on her fridge. It looked like he was in the clouds. I thought that the chofetz chaim was a picture of Hashem

amother
Sand

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 8:12 am
Each time we went to a high school performance I always wondered what the actresses wld do behind the curtain after each scene was over I thought they lived ate and slept there. During intermission my mother told me it was a break I couldn’t understand why they there breaking their legs while we were sitting there noshing.

Lemonade 2323

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 8:20 am
I thought all adults were perfect.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 8:23 am
My parents were discussing someone’s double breasted mink coat. I was wondering - do they really put the breast area on both sides of the coat, front and back?

Also when I was in elementary school our principal told us not to play ball on Shabbos. But in the bungalow colony everyone was playing ball. So I asked my parents, and they said that Hashem doesn’t come up to the bungalow colony. It made perfect sense to me, and I believed it for years. That’s why people don’t dress tznius, and they go mixed swimming, only in the bungalow colony.

amother
  Seashell

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 8:26 am
I thought only Jews had talent and nice voices. I couldn't imagine a non-jew having a stunning singing voice. now I work hard to not listen to non-jewish music. Wink

amother
Cherry  

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 8:28 am
amother Seashell wrote:
I thought we were inside the globe and not outside. I thought you can walk and walk and then bump into the wall of the world. TMI
I was never told that this is not the case. I remember being super confused in earth science class. as a teen I somehow figured it out on my own. for all I know I'm still wrong. Very Happy

Theres actually a movie where everyone lived in a bubble and in a real life movie for the rest of the world out of the bubble. There were eyes all over videoing everything and everyone had little pieces in their ears following instructions. One baby born was never told hes in a movie so he grew up in a fake world with a pre arranged marriage and he never knew until he was much older and he went to the end of the world and touched the bubble.

SuperWify  

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 8:29 am
I used to think there was no color in the olden days because all the pictures were black and white and that color was only invented when my grandparents were little. Lucky them!

I also thought people “in the olden days” were all depressed and miserable that they lived in such old times because they never smiled in the pictures.

Last edited by SuperWify on Wed, May 15 2024, 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total

SuperWify  

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 8:31 am
amother Buttercup wrote:
I thought the whole world was collaborating about me. That they were all in cahoots and planned what to say and do so my life would play out the way they decided. Now that I think about it, this sounds pretty deranged TMI

lol my husband used to think the same.

SuperWify  

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 8:32 am
I also used to think that when I slept I had a completely different life which I would immediately forget about when I awoke. I had a very active imagination Smile
Page 4 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics