Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
S/o stuff you misunderstood as a little kid
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

daagahminayin  

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 3:45 am
giselle wrote:
I had this weird thought that when I closed my eyes, the whole world congregated to discuss the prank they were pulling on me as they were all in it together other than me. Hard to describe mostly because I’m too old to remember details. Kids are SO weird.

I grew up not-frum but my family belonged to a Modern Orthodox shul (this was more common in the UK than just being reform). We drove to shul twice a year and parked a little bit down the street so it looked like we had walked. Because I went to a Jewish school I knew this was wrong and it’s something I felt a lot of shame about.

I used to think that everyone knew our secret and really no one else went to shul each week, they just pretended to. They knew when we were going and all conspired together to be in shul those days and pretend that they went all the time, but really it was just to trick us.

Looking back I guess it was a coping mechanism to manage the shame… poor little me Hug

daagahminayin

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 3:50 am
I thought that to be one of the kids on Sesame Street you had to walk up to the TV and go through it. I kept wondering when it was going to be my turn to go inside.

I thought my mother was the lady on the raisin box. They looked kind of similar and my mom was the woman who gave me raisins so… What

I thought you went on a gap year when you finished elementary school.

amother
  Tiffanyblue  

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 4:11 am
amother Trillium wrote:
Reminds me of how when DD was born, 4 year old DS asked how they knew she was a girl - "oh, I know! Because she has short hair!"

Not because she had a pink babygro lol?

amother
  Tiffanyblue  

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 4:13 am
michimochi wrote:
That the stock market was a place. I'm sure I'm not alone in this one!

Is it not?

Ridethewaves

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 4:20 am
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
Is it not?

No, it refers to overall stocks in a company that fluctuate based on present factors. You can go to the new york stock exchange (there are many exchanges around the world) to physically buy/sell stocks but I think it's mainly online at this point.

English3

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 5:33 am
Dd asked where newborn earing hole is. She thought girls get born with them.

When I was a teenager I flew to Australia for the first time. I was shocked to see that it looks like a regular city I was sure it would be weird or something,maybe upside down.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 5:46 am
I asked my mother a bunch of these questions: (none of her answers were remotely satisfying!)

How do the guys on the radio know to stop talking when we turn the radio off?

Why do all authors have the exact same handwriting?

If we cook hard boiled eggs, do they become raw again?

When we passed colorful NYC graffiti- can you please stop the car so I can color on the wall. When she told me that no parents let their kids color on the walls, and the ones who painted the graffiti drove their own cars, I was perplexed about why adults would want to color. None of the adults I knew ever colored, and only adults drove cars!

I thought trash in parks and on the streets came from people in airplanes who opened their windows and dropped it down.

Before I learned to read Hebrew, we sang Adon Olam in preschool. I thought the phrase בעת אישן was ba’eis sea shell and looked forward to singing that sea shell line each day in school.

TR91

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 5:55 am
Oh my G-ddddd these are SO funny!!
Please keep adding!!!

amother
  Almond

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 5:58 am
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:

Before I learned to read Hebrew, we sang Adon Olam in preschool. I thought the phrase בעת אישן was ba’eis sea shell and looked forward to singing that sea shell line each day in school.

I always wondered why we could call the tefillah adon olam outside of davening, but elokai neshama (without a hei), why could we say Hashem's name in one tefillah and not the other?
Also in my accent, most people say chol hamoed fast as chalamoed, I used to wonder why we were allowed "challah"moed on Pesach Can't Believe It

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 6:20 am
I was convinced that I was I was the first and only person to come up with the idea for glasses with windscreen wipers. Little did I realise almost every glasses wearer and kid thought of it too

amother
Hunter  

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:12 am
Before my brother was born, I heard my mother on the phone saying that Dr B is delivering the baby. I thought she meant that she would leave the baby in the hospital, come home right after giving birth, and the doctor would bring the baby to the house after a few days.

amother
RosePink  

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 7:48 am
As a kid I always wondered what’s it’s like to be inside a video machine. Like will I be able to see the people sitting on the couch watching the video. (Almost like a window) or if I can touch under the glass and feel Ink 😂😂

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 8:02 am
When I was 4, my brother was 6. I thought that when I turn 6, I will turn into a boy.
I remember that my neighbor came over once. I asked her how old she is. She said she is six. I said, "that can't be true! Then you would be a boy!"
I was dissapointed to learn that I would never turn into a boy.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 8:25 am
When I was a kid, my sister was dating and when I asked her about in the next day she said the guy took her to a hotel and they talked. So I always though that when people go on dates they pack their pajamas and they kind of just schmooze on separate beds like a pajama party and then they go home. Obviously they don't sleep overnight duh 🙄

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 8:31 am
I asked my mom where people go when they die. She said the ground. I couldn't comprehend how people tore up cement to bury people which led to me thinking that's what speed bumps were.....

yachnabobba

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 8:40 am
I wondered why the water did not slosh out of the window of a carpool

amother
Linen  

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 9:16 am
When I was about 7, my friend was telling me all about this thing she heard about called a fax machine -you were able to send papers across the world immediately! I was imagining it as a teleportation device that could send people around the world immediately.

amother
Buttercup  

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 9:25 am
I thought the whole world was collaborating about me. That they were all in cahoots and planned what to say and do so my life would play out the way they decided. Now that I think about it, this sounds pretty deranged TMI

amother
  RosePink  

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 9:29 am
I used to think when people pass away you can see them going across the sky. (In like a rainbow shape but like wide ish so not like floating accross) (probably because I saw it in the queen of Persia video -by Shazak)

amother
  Trillium

Post Wed, May 15 2024, 9:41 am
Someone mentioned sesame Street-
I think my brother was teasing me once and told me that it you watch a certain part of the sesame street introduction song you'll go blind. I actually believed him and looked away in horror at the beginning of every episode of sesame street.
Page 3 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics