Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
S/o stuff you misunderstood as a little kid
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 9:59 pm
Bestbubby mentioned on another thread that there used to be a thread called stuff you misunderstood as a little kid.

Thought I would start it again.

Teacher_EW

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:01 pm
I thought that when I close my eyes the world stands still... and I used to blink and laugh, thinking I was controlling the world

Stop... go... stop... go... stop...

peace2  

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:04 pm
When I was about 5 I told my mother that we yawn when we're tired because we don't breathe while we sleep so we have to save up air. She nodded and told me that was a very interesting theory

I also used to think there were little monkeys in traffic lights pressing the buttons to control them (not sure where I came up with monkeys, I had a very wild imagination as a kid)

giselle  

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:08 pm
Words I misread as a kid -
Unshed - pronounced unchd
Ridiculous - pronounced ridishulous (no idea why as I knew the word ridiculous ?!)
Misled - myzuld (according to social media this is a common one)
Probably some more that I can’t recall

Boca00

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:08 pm
My bedroom had a wall AC with a green button that said “money saver”, maybe had $ symbol too. I used to think if I’d keep pressing it it would make money/save a lot of money. (The AC unit was broken, I wasn’t doing anything at all.)

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:11 pm
My brother used to think that when you go to the hospital you become a baby again.

That’s why people were sad when an ambulance came.

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:12 pm
I thought the trees would shake causing the wind.

giselle  

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:13 pm
Teacher_EW wrote:
I thought that when I close my eyes the world stands still... and I used to blink and laugh, thinking I was controlling the world

Stop... go... stop... go... stop...

I had this weird thought that when I closed my eyes, the whole world congregated to discuss the prank they were pulling on me as they were all in it together other than me. Hard to describe mostly because I’m too old to remember details. Kids are SO weird.

amother
Tiffanyblue  

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:13 pm
Boca00 wrote:
My bedroom had a wall AC with a green button that said “money saver”, maybe had $ symbol too. I used to think if I’d keep pressing it it would make money/save a lot of money. (The AC unit was broken, I wasn’t doing anything at all.)

Love this! (And my kids will want to know why I'm giggling when I'm by myself in a room!)

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:45 pm
That a broken arm or leg meant the limb had fallen off, like when my dolls limb "broke". A cast, of course, helped special glue keep the limb in place as it reconnected...

That the song "matchmaker, matchmaker" was about lighting a fire, although couldn't fit the life of me figure why one needed to use a match that badly to be singing about it so passionately

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:59 pm
I always thought that airports are in the sky, like you drive up and give your passport out of the window

I also used to think that a diet was like a big garbage truck and all old fat ladies sit in it as it wobbles down the street

im not that old, I still have the memory lol

amother
Peru

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:00 pm
My father is an engineer. I thought that meant he drove a train, particularly when my mother used to drop him at the LIRR to go to Brooklyn!

My parents told me that they gave my dead goldfish a burial in the Long Island Sound. I didn't understand that meant they flushed him!

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:04 pm
That being on pins and needles was actually that. Someone told me that her sister was on pins and needles when she went to the hospital for a surgery.

amother
Sunflower

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:09 pm
I thought that at a levaya people came to watch the dead person fly up to Gan Eden. Took me time to realize what really happens embarrassed

amother
NeonBlue  

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:14 pm
I always wondered how someone would know their child is disabled- like we’re they born with a wheelchair??? Hiding TMI

amother
Trillium  

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:19 pm
I used to think that when you spun around and got dizzy it was because you were feeling the rotation of the Earth. So I would spin till I was dizzy, fall down, and then lie on the floor feeling the world spinning.

amother
  Trillium  

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:20 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
I always wondered how someone would know their child is disabled- like we’re they born with a wheelchair??? Hiding TMI

Reminds me of how when DD was born, 4 year old DS asked how they knew she was a girl - "oh, I know! Because she has short hair!"

amother
DarkKhaki  

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:21 pm
Ladies you were all such adorable kids!

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:43 pm
First time making phone call I thought when you called someone and there was a busy signal, you just waited until they became unbusy.
Waited for a long time until my mother asked me what’s doing.
Parents laughed so hard.

amother
Starflower  

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:48 pm
When my father would talk about a money order I was like wow we’re that rich! I imagined a man with a hand-truck delivering “orders” (like grocery orders-egg boxes) with money!
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics