Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Maternity leave
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 5:49 pm
Hi!
How long is the norm in lakewood to take Maternity leave?

amother
Ecru  

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 5:51 pm
6-8 weeks

amother
  OP

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 1:03 pm
Do most people take off this amount?

amother
  Ecru

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 1:47 pm
Yes, 6 weeks is standard for regular delivery, 8 weeks for C section.

Depending on your employer if they allow you to take off longer.. some people also start their family leave.

amother
Zinnia  

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 2:20 pm
Where I work in Lakewood 8 weeks is the norm

amother
Maple

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 3:27 pm
In my company it used to be 8 weeks but lately it's been more like 12. at the end of the day of my boss needs you she will call you out back earlier.

amother
Rainbow  

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 3:36 pm
Paid family leave is there for a reason. 8 weeks isn't enough time to get back to yourself.

Stop normalizing short maternity leaves. If the men would have babies you can bet they'd all take the 12 weeks.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 4:43 pm
Doesn’t NJ have some form of paid family leave like in NY? In NY I got 12 weeks of PFL which pays something around 66% of your salary capped at some amount I don’t remember, plus you can then take disability which is 6 or 8 weeks if c section but it pays very minimal amount. So minimum you are entitled 18 weeks. I remember someone telling me NJ has something similar. You need to work a certain amount of hours to qualify and have been working at the job for a specific amount of time so most full time or almost full time workers should qualify. No reason to only take 8 weeks that’s awful.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 5:01 pm
I need to return to work because it caps out and my salary is at least triple of the max you can get. I got to pay the bills

amother
Banana  

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 5:05 pm
6-8 weeks is insane and abusive towards the mom and baby. Its crazy that that was ever standard. BH things are getter now and there are more laws/programs in place

If you are eligible for disability and paid family leave you can probably do 18 weeks

amother
Tan  

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 5:13 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
Paid family leave is there for a reason. 8 weeks isn't enough time to get back to yourself.

Stop normalizing short maternity leaves. If the men would have babies you can bet they'd all take the 12 weeks.

I’m due during school, and they’re giving 2 weeks off🙃
ETA, meant during college

Einikel  

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 5:14 pm
amother Tan wrote:

They're giving you 2 weeks maternity leave??

amother
  Tan  

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 5:15 pm
Einikel wrote:
They're giving you 2 weeks maternity leave??

Yes, 3 if it’s a c-section

Einikel

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 5:16 pm
amother Tan wrote:
Yes, 3 if it’s a c-section

How is this legal? 😭

amother
Begonia

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 7:14 pm
amother Tan wrote:

And if you don't go back? Or call in sick?
You have a right to take off the 6 weeks but I don't know if your employer is exempt. Mine (not NJ) files taxes as a religious entity so I got NO paid leave. No FMLA payments. No disability. Because we didn't pay into it because of the tax filing status. I was legally entitled to job protections if I took off the 6 weeks which I did.

amother
Linen  

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 7:28 pm
amother Tan wrote:

Meaning 2 paid and the rest unpaid? That's not great but is not outside the norm. Expecting you to come back when you have a 2 week old is absolutely insane and unrealistic. I was still wearing diapers that needed changing every 2 hours at that point and either nursing or pumping every hour.

amother
  Tan  

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 7:31 pm
amother Linen wrote:
Meaning 2 paid and the rest unpaid? That's not great but is not outside the norm. Expecting you to come back when you have a 2 week old is absolutely insane and unrealistic. I was still wearing diapers that needed changing every 2 hours at that point and either nursing or pumping every hour.

No, I’m talking about college. You get 2 weeks off, and if you take more you can’t rejoin the program…

amother
  Banana

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 7:42 pm
amother Linen wrote:

She is not working, she is in college. There are no laws about maternity leave while in college.

I had my first in graduate school and only had 2 weeks off. It was awful. Now that I'm working I'm the biggest proponent of taking as much maternity leave as you can

Smr2

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 7:44 pm
amother Banana wrote:
She is not working, she is in college. There are no laws about maternity leave while in college.

I had my first in graduate school and only had 2 weeks off. It was awful. Now that I'm working I'm the biggest proponent of taking as much maternity leave as you can

Is there any way I can PM you? I’m going to be having my first iyh, and cannot imagine how it’s going to be done… I would love to speak with someone that’s been through it, even if it wasn’t the most positive experience

amother
  Linen

Post Sat, Feb 17 2024, 8:09 pm
amother Tan wrote:
No, I’m talking about college. You get 2 weeks off, and if you take more you can’t rejoin the program…

Can you take a semester off and rejoin the following semester?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics