What are we missing?
Previous  1  2

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 7:32 pm
keym wrote:
Ooh I would definitely donate to that.
My kids are getting older and I have so many toys in perfect condition
I’d love some if the gemach doesn’t end up starting!

amother
  Eggshell

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 9:51 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
There's such a think already. Someone Englard is in charge. I don't know details though

The amount that she gets is a tiny, tiny fraction of what is getting thrown out. That was my original point - there are people who do this on a small scale but the demand is WAY greater than what they get.

It would be a HUGE chessed if someone would invest money and set up a respectful location with freezers, shelves, fridges etc. and have volunteers or paid employees collect fresh but left over food from bakeries and restaurants - and almost expired foods from groceries that are still perfectly good and put them out in a respectful, clearly labeled way for people who need to take.

It would be a HUGE chessed that there is a massive need for.

(I'm not in a position in life right now that I can open and run this or fund this but I would be very happy to help bn if someone did open this.)

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 10:07 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
I’d love some if the gemach doesn’t end up starting!

Doona gemach- ppl getting rid of theirs to ppl giving birth

Roots

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 1:40 am
I once heard of a nice gmach idea
suits and fancy clothing for boys for simchas- like girl gown gmachs only for boys 0-12 yrs old

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 3:47 am
We have a Tens Machine Gemach for labour. Do you have that in your area?
It's such an easy Gemach to run and so nice to hear how it has helped women in labour.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 5:41 am
amother Scarlet wrote:
Love that! A library for toys!

There are toy libraries here where I live, I never used it, but I know some people love it.
I’m pretty sure there is some sort of deposit or membership though to take care of missing pieces and breaks.

Also great for toys for 1 and 2 years olds that are used for relatively short periods of time.

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 7:36 am
amother NeonYellow wrote:
We have a Tens Machine Gemach for labour. Do you have that in your area?
It's such an easy Gemach to run and so nice to hear how it has helped women in labour.
Love this idea

Also a bili blanket if baby has jaundice. There are not enough in town.

amother
Foxglove

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 8:42 am
amother Eggshell wrote:
The amount that she gets is a tiny, tiny fraction of what is getting thrown out. That was my original point - there are people who do this on a small scale but the demand is WAY greater than what they get.

It would be a HUGE chessed if someone would invest money and set up a respectful location with freezers, shelves, fridges etc. and have volunteers or paid employees collect fresh but left over food from bakeries and restaurants - and almost expired foods from groceries that are still perfectly good and put them out in a respectful, clearly labeled way for people who need to take.

It would be a HUGE chessed that there is a massive need for.

(I'm not in a position in life right now that I can open and run this or fund this but I would be very happy to help bn if someone did open this.)

My father does this in Brooklyn. It's a huge undertaking that requires at least 3 days of hard physical labor per week. Plus multiple hours from multiple volunteers daily to pick up the food, repackage it to work for families, and store it properly

amother
  Copper

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 2:14 pm
baby simcha wear like 0-24 months outfits for weddings. also for little boys gemachs dnt have

amother
  Cyclamen  

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 3:19 pm
Roots wrote:
I once heard of a nice gmach idea
suits and fancy clothing for boys for simchas- like girl gown gmachs only for boys 0-12 yrs old

There exist such gemach. At least 2 that I know of.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 3:25 pm
Thanks for all the ideas.

Right now I have the funds but I'm not sure what will be down the line. I want to do something that will not entail a constant reinfusion of cash. Obviously there will be some amount of upkeep for any gemach but I'd like to keep it minimal...

Secondly I have some time to devote but I cant commit to working on it full time or doing lots of physical labor.
So while I'd really like to do the food pantry with collecting extra/leftover food I dont see that being feasible, or having enough funds to hire people to keep it running.

amother
Chestnut

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 3:31 pm
Sheva brachos clothes for the kallah.

There's a gemach for the gown but then you need 7 more fancy outfits that are too fancy for a regular shabbos. Plus a lot of kallahs become pregnant soon after getting married, and then they never fit again and/or are out of style by the time they do.

amother
  Cyclamen

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 3:35 pm
[Boys Simcha Suits Gemach (732) 276-6693

shev

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 3:37 pm
Table and chairs
There are rentals but its expensive...

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 3:38 pm
Purim Costumes is popular where I live.

src6

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 3:43 pm
I actually have a unique idea that I don't think exists but would be helpful to so many people - a Simcha Setup Gemach. Let me explain.
There are gemachs that offer tablecloths, serving pieces, centerpieces... but those who are not artistically inclined struggle to figure out HOW to set up a kiddush or sweet table.
I know that when I made a Simcha recently I wished there was a gemach that provided "set-up plans." Basically a gemach that partners with a party planner and creates several different set ups (sort of maps) for different shape/size rooms/ tables. They can also have pictures of ideas for centerpieces and other decor/color combinations. People can use these plans and ideas - either copy exactly, or more likely as a basic idea that can be worked off of. And every season or year a couple new plans can be added as styles change.
This would be targeting a group that can't afford party planners and don't necessarily need super high end, but want to host a beautiful simcha and needs some guidance how to DIY.

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 4:20 pm
shev wrote:
Table and chairs

This is a wonderful idea! Flatbush has one that's extremely popular and helps so many people make simchas, and even more so on Sukkos. If Lakewood doesn't have one, or even if it does, I'm sure this would be a tremendous help to many people.

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 4:24 pm
shev wrote:
Table and chairs

There are so many table and chair gemachs.
Just look in the directory.

amother
Electricblue

Post Tue, Nov 21 2023, 4:58 pm
Lighting for events and simchas? Like the ones people rent for elegant affairs
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries