Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Camp chaviva
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Stonewash  

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 12:36 pm
I think registration is open only for returning campers until November 13 and only then opens for new campers.
No visiting day.
And no packages (you can try to get permission for urgent items-my daughter left clothing at home, they allowed me to ship, but she ran out of toiletries and instead of letting me ship her some, they offered to buy. They think packages of any sort cause jealousy)
you can email your child as much as u want, emails are printed twice a day.
You can send regular mail and letters too.
Each bunk gets one calling day a week, for example Tuesday, and then they can call again Friday as well.
They email a weekly video (most weeks) where I usually ended up spotting my daughter.

They have a great time, my daughters been there the past 3 summers and wants to go back. She’s always gone second half, it’s a great friendly crowd of campers where Brand names aren’t worshipped.

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 12:56 pm
Is Chaviva more sporty than other camps?

amother
  Obsidian  

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 1:29 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:
I think registration is open only for returning campers until November 13 and only then opens for new campers.
No visiting day.
And no packages (you can try to get permission for urgent items-my daughter left clothing at home, they allowed me to ship, but she ran out of toiletries and instead of letting me ship her some, they offered to buy. They think packages of any sort cause jealousy)
you can email your child as much as u want, emails are printed twice a day.
You can send regular mail and letters too.
Each bunk gets one calling day a week, for example Tuesday, and then they can call again Friday as well.
They email a weekly video (most weeks) where I usually ended up spotting my daughter.

They have a great time, my daughters been there the past 3 summers and wants to go back. She’s always gone second half, it’s a great friendly crowd of campers where Brand names aren’t worshipped.

Thanks for posting this! I actually already applied as a new camper - the website opened November 1 but could be there not looking at new campers until Nov 13. But I def alrdy applied so it is possible to do it now.
Is it easier to get in for second half?

Chayalle  

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 1:33 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
Thanks for posting this! I actually already applied as a new camper - the website opened November 1 but could be there not looking at new campers until Nov 13. But I def alrdy applied so it is possible to do it now.
Is it easier to get in for second half?

Depends on the volume. My daughter got in last summer for first half - second half her age was more full.
IIRC there was an option to check off that you are willing to switch from the half you are applying to if there's no room this half....

Stonewash's post was spot on, word for word. DD really had a nice experience there last year and we registered her for this summer.

amother
  Gray  

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 7:34 pm
amother Broom wrote:
Total is 3,700 including 150 tip and 150 canteen

One half?

amother
  Broom  

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 7:43 pm
amother Gray wrote:
One half?

Yes

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 8:04 pm
Is that including bus and luggage also? That’s alot of money.

amother
  Broom  

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 8:06 pm
Don’t think it’s including luggage and bus

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 8:17 pm
3700 for one HALF?? That's outrageous. Nobody's kid spends $150 on canteen and tips should never be mandatory. CBY is known to be expensive and even they don't have the nerve to charge this much.

amother
  Broom  

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 8:21 pm
If it doesn’t work for you don’t send, my daughter loves it there and I plan on sending back.

amother
  Stonewash  

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 8:24 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
3700 for one HALF?? That's outrageous. Nobody's kid spends $150 on canteen and tips should never be mandatory. CBY is known to be expensive and even they don't have the nerve to charge this much.

I agree, it is outrageous.
My daughter has never spent nearly $150 in canteen and they give the unused extra back at the end of the summer. They do deduct a Nitchecker fee from the canteen balance and possibly mandatory merch items like the camp shirt or bathing cap if kid needs.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 8:50 pm
Are you sure it’s $3700? Most camps are between 2500 and 3000 per half. Are there scholarships ? I did think it was suspicious (not necessarily in a bad way) that they didn’t have the price listed anywhere - they just said they will charge cc $850 if accepted.
If my daughter gets in, we also need to factor in plane ticket and travel costs - in addition to $3700 plus the extra fees and tips.
That’s insane !
I also don’t think $150 is a lot for a month for canteen. Food and Nosh is expensive nowadays. I spend $1000 a week on food and I have 6 kids , it’s not absurd for 1 child to spend $150 a month on snacks and Nosh, honestly I was expecting more.

amother
  Broom

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 8:54 pm
Yes full summer is $6,500 plus tips and canteen. I’m trying to upload the image that I saved from the camp but it’s not uploading .

Chayalle  

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 9:09 pm
amother Khaki wrote:

I used to send to CBY and no, they are not expensive. They are from the cheaper camps.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, Nov 07 2023, 9:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
Are you sure it’s $3700? Most camps are between 2500 and 3000 per half. Are there scholarships ? I did think it was suspicious (not necessarily in a bad way) that they didn’t have the price listed anywhere - they just said they will charge cc $850 if accepted.
If my daughter gets in, we also need to factor in plane ticket and travel costs - in addition to $3700 plus the extra fees and tips.
That’s insane !
I also don’t think $150 is a lot for a month for canteen. Food and Nosh is expensive nowadays. I spend $1000 a week on food and I have 6 kids , it’s not absurd for 1 child to spend $150 a month on snacks and Nosh, honestly I was expecting more.

Might be different since you’re coming from a plane ride away and space is limited but the girls taking the bus are bringing a huge storage container of nosh they’re not just relying on the canteen.

amother
  Gray  

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 9:37 am
When do we hear back? Does anyone know?

amother
Lightgray

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 10:03 am
My DD has gone to Chaviva the past 3 years and plans on going again this summer.
However she is only going because it’s a great crowd of girls and all her friends are going back.

Chaviva is a great camp. The staff is amazing, and they have a great atmosphere, but it’s not perfect.

The food situation is terrible, it was either inedible or there wasn’t enough. DD had to substitute food from her nosh box for meals many times, and she’s not a picky or big eater. Only one of the 3 years she was there had good food- and the cook has now opened a restaurant in Lakewood and retired from camp.

The laundry is unusable- the girls only send their underwear and socks, and even those can come back mildewy and ruined. They cannot send shirts or skirts because they get shrunken or stained from the laundry service.

The grounds are run down, for example her bunks showers didn’t have hot water some parts of last year. It’s generally very muddy grounds, DD wore rain boots a lot. They definitely need 2 pairs of sneakers. The pool is “gross”, my daughter has never gone into the water in all 3 years.

They are super strict about the girls not receiving packages, which is really great for avoiding peer pressure. Last year I got permission to send a medical item she forgot, and I stuck a nosh in the box. They opened the box, took the nosh out and gave her the medical item only.

But DD loves it and wants to keep going back!

amother
Yarrow  

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 10:44 am
Do they give discounts/scholarships?

Chayalle  

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 10:56 am
amother Lightgray wrote:
MOnly one of the 3 years she was there had good food- and the cook has now opened a restaurant in Lakewood and retired from camp.

LOL he's the husband of my older DD's very good friend. We wished they would have gone back last year - my (younger) DD would have LOVED it....

Last year was particularly complicated with the meals due to the fire....but to be honest (maybe my DD isn't such a foodie) I didn't hear too much complaining about the meals - she thought they were better than CBY - and she came home with alot of her food box intact. She's not such a nosher I guess.

To next amother, I did not find that Chaviva gives any major discounts/scholarships but who knows. Maybe in cases of extreme need...not your average Kollel/type discounts. CBY was much cheaper.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 11:02 am
amother Lightgray wrote:
My DD has gone to Chaviva the past 3 years and plans on going again this summer.
However she is only going because it’s a great crowd of girls and all her friends are going back.

Chaviva is a great camp. The staff is amazing, and they have a great atmosphere, but it’s not perfect.

The food situation is terrible, it was either inedible or there wasn’t enough. DD had to substitute food from her nosh box for meals many times, and she’s not a picky or big eater. Only one of the 3 years she was there had good food- and the cook has now opened a restaurant in Lakewood and retired from camp.

The laundry is unusable- the girls only send their underwear and socks, and even those can come back mildewy and ruined. They cannot send shirts or skirts because they get shrunken or stained from the laundry service.

The grounds are run down, for example her bunks showers didn’t have hot water some parts of last year. It’s generally very muddy grounds, DD wore rain boots a lot. They definitely need 2 pairs of sneakers. The pool is “gross”, my daughter has never gone into the water in all 3 years.

They are super strict about the girls not receiving packages, which is really great for avoiding peer pressure. Last year I got permission to send a medical item she forgot, and I stuck a nosh in the box. They opened the box, took the nosh out and gave her the medical item only.

But DD loves it and wants to keep going back!

This is interesting to read. My daughter has also been to Chaviva the last 3 summers. Unfortunately you are right about the food. It has been very difficult and poor. If you are sending- make sure you send real food as snacks.

I responded because your experience has not been mine with either the laundry or the pool. My daughters laundry has always come back fine and she loves the pool! She actually became a lifeguard there the summer before last and lived in the pool!

My daughter never complained about the grounds but last summer with the fire her bunk got smushed with another and boy did she complain about that!

It’s really a great camp and a great experience and has helped my oot daughter really find herself.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps