Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Nursing
Previous  1  2

amother
NeonGreen  

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 3:56 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
No, they don't need to do all this. A place to nurse, yes. But an outlet? No.

In NYC they are required to. Not sure about other citys/states

15. What is a lactation room under the NYC Human Rights Law?
A lactation room is defined by law as a clean space, other than a restroom, that is shielded from view and free from intrusion from others, and has at least one electrical outlet. It must also have a surface, such as a table or counter, where employees can place a breast pump, and a chair. There must be nearby access to running water. The room may be a space available on a temporary basis for employees to pump; it does not need to permanently remain a lactation space when no employees need to use it for that purpose.

amother
  Hyacinth

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 3:57 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:
If she works part time then she wouldn’t need a lunch break to pump in she could pump when she gets home no?

I don't know, OP didn't clarify what her work hours are

amother
  Lightblue  

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 3:59 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:
I’m not saying whose issue it is. I’m saying in general it is horrible that people don’t get maternity leave! However once again, if you are someone who does not find that an issue, then I am only inspired by your strength and fortitude!!

Of course I think it's an issue, but there's nothing I can do about it besides for apply for FMLA or disability so I get covered. It's not right to say that a school is horrible for this. I don't think my employer is horrible.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 4:17 pm
I work 8-4. Use my lunch break to pump. It’s not enough. I’m trying really hard to breastfeed for a year for a variety (I’m not against supplementing with formula if absolutely necessary but … at the rate this is going I’m going to have to switch entirely to formula. Im also uncomfortable all the time because of needing to pump.

amother
  NeonGreen

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 4:29 pm
On a more practical note, yes they are required to give you adequate pumping breaks, but before bringing in legal action I would try to carve out little breaks for yourself and make it work. Maybe informing the school that you may be 5 minutes late to your classes after recess lunch due to this.
I pumped during surgical days while working 12-14 hours and somehow made it work by taking every opportunity I had to slip away. Firstly, nurse/pump FULLY before you get to work so you can start off empty. Then, devote any small break you have (recess, lunch, mincha, 10 minute break between classes) to pumping, you can wear a hands free pump or pumping bra and eat while you pump.
Also make sure you have a good pump with strong suction (I liked the motif luna) so you can get the max amount of milk in the shortest amount of time and always wear the nipple pads to catch any leaks.
Good luck - you are doing amazing mama!

accountantmommy

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 4:32 pm
How old is baby? Maybe you need to get there early and pump right before school. Would it work to do 7:30 pumping, 12 pumping (or whenever lunch is) and then right again at 4 before you leave? Then it's 4 hours apart which plus nursing through the night can work for a baby 3 months or older. Hellish for you 100% Sad

amother
  Lightblue

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 5:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
I work 8-4. Use my lunch break to pump. It’s not enough. I’m trying really hard to breastfeed for a year for a variety (I’m not against supplementing with formula if absolutely necessary but … at the rate this is going I’m going to have to switch entirely to formula. Im also uncomfortable all the time because of needing to pump.

You only get 1 break between 8-4? Then of course you should demand more. Are you a teacher or do you have a different position that's more flexible?
What do other women do?

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 6:14 pm
accountantmommy wrote:
How old is baby? Maybe you need to get there early and pump right before school. Would it work to do 7:30 pumping, 12 pumping (or whenever lunch is) and then right again at 4 before you leave? Then it's 4 hours apart which plus nursing through the night can work for a baby 3 months or older. Hellish for you 100% Sad

Yeah I think you’re right!
Baby just turned four months

amother
  Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 7:59 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
No, they don't need to do all this. A place to nurse, yes. But an outlet? No.

Actually depending on where you live- YES.
The federal PUMP law says it must be provided but each state has additional laws that must be followed.
https://www.mamava.com/breastf.....-york
New York state also mandates specific stipulations for lactation spaces (effective June 7, 2023) requiring them to: be in close proximity to where employees work, be well lit, provide electrical outlets and a working surface, and have nearby access to running water. Employers are required to follow the law (state or federal) that provides greater protections. Read the law: N.Y. Labor Law § 206-C

Other states also require an outlet and specific accommodations.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics